Vikings considering changes on the offensive line

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings considering changes on the offensive line

Post by fiestavike »

BGM wrote: This is true. The OL has needed upgrading and the OL players we have chosen have been misfires or, at the risk of beating a dead horse, are not being coached very well. There is very little depth behind the starting five and that starting five has been abysmal this season.
We could have used the guy in your avatar at left tackle this year!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:Loadholt isn't perfect by any means, but he's better than average. With a healthy Fusco next to him, they form a formidable right side of the line. It's probably not a surprise that he's not performing as well with a considerable downgrade next to him.
I agree. Fusco's absence is having a more adverse effect on the OL than many think. I'm sure the cadence between Loadholt and Fusco helped the right side a lot. Now it seems as if the entire OL can't play as a unit.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

fiestavike wrote: We could have used the guy in your avatar at left tackle this year!
"Anybody want a peanut?"
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote:Anybody want a peanut?"
:lol:
44crm
Backup

Post by 44crm »

dead_poet wrote: Don't bet on Loadholt being released, for a number of reasons. Is he the best right tackle in the league? No. But he is one of the best run-blocking right tackles in the league. His pass protection, at times, can be suspect, but it's not like he's the only right tackle that gets beat in pass protection. We just notice it more because we don't pay attention to other teams' right tackles. He'd start and be an upgrade on many teams.

Plus, he just signed a contract extension, is due $5.4 million in 2015 and we'd be searching for a potential upgrade. If he's released, there's as big (or more) of a chance that whoever is signed to replace him is a worse run blocker and as "good" (or bad) of a pass blocker to make the change a net negative in the overall scheme of things.

Loadholt isn't perfect by any means, but he's better than average. With a healthy Fusco next to him, they form a formidable right side of the line. It's probably not a surprise that he's not performing as well with a considerable downgrade next to him.
He is a good run blocker, but how much longer are we a run first team and does that play a factor in what we look for in a RT. But my main reason for saying all that is because Kalil is getting torn apart by fans for his performance this season... Has anyone seen Loadholt? It was absolutely dreadful. He looks like an ogre with one leg shorter than the other.

There were plays where the whole line held up with the exception of Loadholt. after saying that, I think that better guards would do the job this year with some help on the outside from a TE. There's nothing else the team can do. The whole Line needs to get it together, but I think the quickest way would be like Mothman said, start running the damn ball and get them feeling good.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

losperros wrote: I agree. Fusco's absence is having a more adverse effect on the OL than many think. I'm sure the cadence between Loadholt and Fusco helped the right side a lot. Now it seems as if the entire OL can't play as a unit.
So Fusco being gone is leading to Loadholt being unable to block his man one on one? Or blaming Charlie Johnson for Ansah dominating Kalil repeatedly? If it were simply a case of a blitz not being picked up or a guy missing his assignment, that'd be understandable. But not even being able to man up against a guy and getting completely owned? I find it hard to believe that's on missing Fusco.
We get it, you don't like Speielman. You don't have to clog every thread with it.
So you don't think the lack of depth on the offensive line thanks to the general manager not finding talent or focusing on it is a valid concern in a thread about possible changes?

Hell, let's go a step further, people want to blame the coaching, he just kept the offensive line coach when he brought in the new coaching staff!

I don't blame him, I think Davidson has done a good job with what he was given, and not sure how he could coach up a top 5 offensive linemen in any way they shouldn't have already been coached up. But where else can you look? If there were better options...they'd already be playing...
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Vikings considering changes on the offensive line

Post by DK Sweets »

BGM wrote: "Anybody want a peanut?"
I would take an orange one, please.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

fiestavike wrote: We could have used the guy in your avatar at left tackle this year!
What are you saying, that a dead guy could do better than what we have? :lol:
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Purple Reign wrote: What are you saying, that a dead guy could do better than what we have? :lol:
He's only mostly dead.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

BGM wrote: He's only mostly dead.
Not sure if you are being serious here or not - Andre the Giant (who is the guy in the avatar) died in 1993. I would say he's all the way dead. Or are you referring to Kalil?
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Purple Reign wrote: Not sure if you are being serious here or not - Andre the Giant (who is the guy in the avatar) died in 1993. I would say he's all the way dead. Or are you referring to Kalil?
It is a quote from the movie Princess Bride, the source of the pic which is my avatar. Just a small joke.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

BGM wrote: It is a quote from the movie Princess Bride, the source of the pic which is my avatar. Just a small joke.
Gotcha - thanks for the clarification. Been a long time since I saw that movie - but I do remember "Inconceivable!" :D
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Purple Reign wrote: Not sure if you are being serious here or not - Andre the Giant (who is the guy in the avatar) died in 1993. I would say he's all the way dead. Or are you referring to Kalil?
The "all tje way dead" part made me laugh.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

BGM wrote: He's only mostly dead.

right now our offensive line is suffering the same fate as Prince Humperdink..."humiliations galore!"

Ndamakong Suh was the Dread Pirate Roberts, and they were the castle guard! Parabolic mics picked up Kalil saying "Oh you mean this gate key" just before the 6th sack of Bridgewater! It'll be featured on "mic'd up"

It was reported that in a meeting this week Zimmer spoke to the offensive line, saying, "I AM HERE, BUT SOON YOU WILL NOT BE HERE!!!!"
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

fiestavike wrote:

right now our offensive line is suffering the same fate as Prince Humperdink..."humiliations galore!"

Ndamakong Suh was the Dread Pirate Roberts, and they were the castle guard! Parabolic mics picked up Kalil saying "Oh you mean this gate key" just before the 6th sack of Bridgewater! It'll be featured on "mic'd up"

It was reported that in a meeting this week Zimmer spoke to the offensive line, saying, "I AM HERE, BUT SOON YOU WILL NOT BE HERE!!!!"
BWAHAHA!!!

My favorite post ever!