SI Article about shutdown / me

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: SI Article about shutdown / me

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Boon wrote:I've had meltdowns, none of which affected anyone else to be honest. My account was straight up deleted, but at the end of the day its just a forum.. I think i've been a member since 2009, and just because of one persons meltdown that I don't know personally, doesn't mean that i'm going to be sour and ruin it for people or demand an apology, i'm not. I'll breeze through here as usual, killing time and throwing out opinions just like I always have. Killing time and visiting on gamedays.

Just my 2 cents
I can't believe the members he banned. I was actually an "####" myself based on my views, and just think if he had banned me. I would have been livid, especially since I have been here almost 10 years and have almost 14,000 posts.
It's too bad really. I have had meltdowns myself, but like you said, they didn't affect other people like this one did.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Boon wrote:I've had meltdowns, none of which affected anyone else to be honest. My account was straight up deleted, but at the end of the day its just a forum.. I think i've been a member since 2009, and just because of one persons meltdown that I don't know personally, doesn't mean that i'm going to be sour and ruin it for people or demand an apology, i'm not. I'll breeze through here as usual, killing time and throwing out opinions just like I always have. Killing time and visiting on gamedays.

Just my 2 cents

I have similar feelings. I've been a member since 2006. Lurked in the newsgroups before that. I personally have no hard feelings at all toward glg. I was angry at the time but in the end, he fixed what he did by giving Cliff the site. I think the actions after the shutdown speaks volumes about the kind of person glg really is.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I can't believe the members he banned. I was actually an "####" myself based on my views, and just think if he had banned me. I would have been livid, especially since I have been here almost 10 years and have almost 14,000 posts.
It's too bad really. I have had meltdowns myself, but like you said, they didn't affect other people like this one did.
Of all people on that day, yeah, for sure I thought you got deleted. :lol:
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I Got into it with someone once here and I Got a pretty fair warning about it.
Anymore I just let people have their say; if someone has a real strong view, you wont
change it or them anyways.

anyone know what ever happened to John/ mod/ bartender avatar guy?

Pm me if you do, please
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jackal wrote:I Got into it with someone once here and I Got a pretty fair warning about it.
Anymore I just let people have their say; if someone has a real strong view, you wont

Pm me if you do, please
I've often wondered that myself. I always liked John. I've been thinking of him this week because the Vikes are playing the Saints and I know he travelled to New Orleans pretty frequently.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

It's time for a group hug...

and for the Saints to lose.

A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

This board has a very diverse group of posters, without
a doubt.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

Wow, good thing I didn't delete my bookmark for this site. I clicked on it by accident and what do you know, here's VMB back online!
What a trip! So glad to see it back.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Fran the Man wrote:Wow, good thing I didn't delete my bookmark for this site. I clicked on it by accident and what do you know, here's VMB back online!
What a trip! So glad to see it back.
Welcome back!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

jackal wrote:I Got into it with someone once here and I Got a pretty fair warning about it.

Pm me if you do, please
I can't recall the reason anymore but he had to move on for personal reasons. He might still lurk but he couldn't mod, run the bar section anymore.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I appreciate the sentiments expressed in the article. I also acknowledge the site admin's right to shut down the site.

That being said, I don't appreciate being banned with no explanation or notification. I didn't even know the site was shut down until I read it on cbssports.com two days later. I didn't get the now-famous 109-word explanation. Just a message saying,"You are forbidden access to this site."

There are thousands of message boards, hundreds for pro football. But there is only one VMB. I'll stay here because it's the best board in the business. But there is a part of me that is seriously bruised. Many of us have invested ourselves in this board, and we all deserve better than to be swept up in an emotional rash of bannings. At least tell me what I've done, or what the reasoning is. Don't just leave me twisting in the wind.

I'll accept an apology from the site admin if offered, but I don't expect it. Onward.
I can't really apologize for banning you ... it would kind of be me saying it just to say it as I'm not the one who took that action. I'll say this though; I'm sorry that happened to you. I can understand it would feel crappy after being here for so long and feeling connected to people here. It felt that way for me and I wasn't even one of the one's called an #### or banned/deleted.

For what it's worth I'm glad you're still around.