Toby Gerhart

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Toby Gerhart is a bum

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Can we change the title of the thread? It is not fair to call him a bum. It upsets me every time I see it.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Toby Gerhart is a bum

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Can we change the title of the thread? It is not fair to call him a bum. It upsets me every time I see it.
Changed.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Toby Gerhart

Post by fiestavike »

Personally, I always thought he was a bit of a bum :wink:

I really don't think our run game would be going any better with him, and I don't think he'll be able to avoid getting injured as a primary ball carrier. He's just too stiff and lacks agility and flexibility.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Personally, I always thought he was a bit of a bum :wink:
Troublemaker. ;)
I really don't think our run game would be going any better with him, and I don't think he'll be able to avoid getting injured as a primary ball carrier. He's just too stiff and lacks agility and flexibility.
He does seem to have a propensity for getting banged up. I think he'd bring more to the running game than Asiata but as frosted21 and I were discussing in another thread, blocking seems to be a big part of the Vikings running game issues. Heck, I even noticed it in week 1. Peterson was making quite a few yards on his own.

Then again, I've always liked Gerhart's game so maybe I'm a little biased. I hope he does well in Jacksonville.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Bum is a bad word? Its a good descriptive adjective for some players. Like Favre. Hardest and toughest working QB ive seen, but id still call him the B word.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Bum is a bad word? Its a good descriptive adjective for some players. Like Favre. Hardest and toughest working QB ive seen, but id still call him the B word.
I don't think its a bad word, I think its just the tenor of the discussion.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

44 carries for 114 yards. 2.6 yards per carry. Bum!

You guys can only make excuses for so long. And the fact that there's rumblings he might get replaced by Denard Robinson is laughable.

:D
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:44 carries for 114 yards. 2.6 yards per carry. Bum!

You guys can only make excuses for so long. And the fact that there's rumblings he might get replaced by Denard Robinson is laughable.

:D
276 carries, 1305 yards, 77 rec., 600 yards

Those are his numbers with the Vikings and nothing about them suggests "bum" to me.

Gerhart's playing through an ankle injury, on a bad team, behind an offensive line that doesn't run block well. Call those excuses if you want. I'd call them reasons. Bad blocking almost always results in poor rushing numbers, regardless of who's doing the running.

Not a bum! :D
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

An average RB. Not sure I'd call him a bum. But for the Jags to decide he's starting RB caliber? What a crock. But then Gus Bradley is a defensive guy. So like here, he probably pushes the safer grind it out guy over a play maker type. So you get what they had there last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it.

bum :wink:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Anal Bum Cover?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I am sure not too many would be upset if Toby was still the backup here given the current circumstances with our halfback position. :lol:
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

4 rushes, 9 yards, and gets hurt again.
Boy I miss this guy. :lol:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Demi wrote:4 rushes, 9 yards, and gets hurt again.
Boy I miss this guy. :lol:
I don't think he was ever considered "injury prone" during his time with the Vikings. It's been a rough year for Gerhart, that's for sure. Playing injured behind one of the worst lines in the league with one of the worst QB situations in the NFL. Not making excuses, it's just the way it is. I thought he was going to at least be an average "lead back" but so far that hasn't been the case.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

No one needs/should make any excuses for TG. He was a consumate team player and filled in quite well when ever called on to play. I hardly remember him being injured and certainly would not be in any way shape or form considered him to be injury prone.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Denard Robinson, former Michigan QB, got the start...went 22 carries for 127 yards. :rofl: