Who would you start in Week 1?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Who would you start in Week 1?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:28 am

Matt Cassel
88%
Teddy Bridgewater
13%

Total votes: 56

oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Re: Who would you start in Week 1?

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

28BreaksAnkles wrote: Agreed! Although I don't with my eyes necessarily believe Cassel deserves the start, I feel as though he did nothing to warrant benching, that is not the same.. But sooo excited for Norv to be with us...

look at this , this is just pathetic...

vs.

What is that play card? like triple the size???.. jeez :wallbang:
Id say its about quadruple the size lol :rofl:
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

28BreaksAnkles wrote:I've been thinking a lot after re-watching and re-watching the cardinals game and the chiefs game, and im really wondering...

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW, in 5 Quarters OF PLAY with 2 TD, 1 INT, 1 safety, 1 fumble, 11 1st downs, MATT CASSEL's PLAY WARRANTS a 44-7 VOTE FROM THIS FORUM IN FAVOR OF MATT CASSEL OVER TDT2MBW/TT2MBW???

Since when does 14 pts, an INT and a safety and only 11 1st downs win games in this league?

Look at Russel Wilson's Situation 2 years ago ...... very comparable to Ted's...
Here's how it is for me. I like Teddy a lot. If you ask the question about who starts 2015's first game, I will be incredibly disappointed if it is Matt Cassel. But this year, we just don't have a lot of information about Teddy against first team defenses, and absolutely no information about how he will play when defenses game plan to stop him. So I think the Vikings stand a better chance of winning with Cassel - I'm not sure, but it's all opinion at the moment, right?

Second, even Hall of Fame QB's can really struggle their first year out. I don't want to go 3-13 just to get Teddy more playing time. Here are Peyton Mannings stats for his three-win rookie season:
326 for 575, 56.7% - 3,739 yards, 26 TD's, 28 INT's - all for a 71.2 QB rating.

The difference between Wilson and Teddy is that the other Seahawks QB's were terrible. He really did give them the best chance to win, especially with that defense behind him. If our QB's were Ponder and Freeman, I think they would have named Teddy the opening day starter by now.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Cassel should start...

Teddy is young and will give him time to master the offense and have the best chance to succeed in the NFL LONGTERM!!

this season is a learning season and rebuilding season.. Let him play maybe at the end of the year if its garbage time
and compete again next year..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

Cassel will start.

Should he? I don't think so. Actually, what I think is everyone and their mother knows Teddy will get some playing time this season unless Cassel has a Pro-Bowl year again. The chances of that are much less likely of happening then Teddy taking the league by storm. Our team is just a consistent QB away from being legit playoff contenders. Cassel is anything but consistent.\

So why not start Teddy? I have no idea. At this point they are equal, and that to me means get Teddy out there and take those lumps. He learns from actually performing. He's been like that since he was thrown into the fire as an 18 year old freshmen at Louisville.
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Arma wrote:Cassel will start.

Should he? I don't think so. Actually, what I think is everyone and their mother knows Teddy will get some playing time this season unless Cassel has a Pro-Bowl year again. The chances of that are much less likely of happening then Teddy taking the league by storm. Our team is just a consistent QB away from being legit playoff contenders. Cassel is anything but consistent.\

So why not start Teddy? I have no idea. At this point they are equal, and that to me means get Teddy out there and take those lumps. He learns from actually performing. He's been like that since he was thrown into the fire as an 18 year old freshmen at Louisville.
G**D*** IT - So eloquently put. It's a sound line of reasoning and I think this organization owes it to Adrian and Chad. Lets go contend now ya'll - he's tough and smart, I feel as though he'll only learn more efficiently and effectively on the field.

This is Important -- If he starts, he can breakdown his own film with Norv Monday-Saturday, during meetings-That's big... learning exactly how HE needs to improve and how he can get better, and really learn to hone in on his craft with the savviest of clipboard veterans awaiting in the wings to provide veteran guidance, leadership, and an extra pair of eyes to a rookie destined for big things...
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

28BreaksAnkles wrote: G**D*** IT - So eloquently put. It's a sound line of reasoning and I think this organization owes it to Adrian and Chad. Lets go contend now ya'll - he's tough and smart, I feel as though he'll only learn more efficiently and effectively on the field.

This is Important -- If he starts, he can breakdown his own film with Norv Monday-Saturday, during meetings-That's big... learning exactly how HE needs to improve and how he can get better, and really learn to hone in on his craft with the savviest of clipboard veterans awaiting in the wings to provide veteran guidance, leadership, and an extra pair of eyes to a rookie destined for big things...
Holy crap, dude. Back away from the ledge.

We all need to face reality. Norv Turner does not start rookies. Teddy will be no exception. Get used to it.

And honestly, are you going to saddle Teddy Bridgewater with THE worst nickname in human history because he led a pair of 10-yard drives against Kansas City's 3rd-team defense in a preseason game? It's precisely because I like Teddy so much that I PRAY this awful nickname be dropped NOW. He's going to do a lot better in this league than that.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Yeah, ease off the Teddy love. As somebody stated, Teddy would be starting if it was between Teddy, Ponder, and Freeman. We need to stop acting like Cassel has no value.

He has more athletic ability than a lot of people are giving him credit for, he has started in this league, and he knows how to prepare on a week to week basis. The players like him and he deserves to at least get a chance to show what he can do after he has played in the preseason.

And like Kapp, I refuse to spit out that garble of a nickname.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Glazer reporting Cassel has been named starter for week 1.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Glazer reporting Cassel has been named starter for week 1.

Not surprising, if true, and probably a sound decision. Cassel has looked pretty good this preseason (excellent at times) and as we've been saying for months, it makes sense to give Bridgewater time to learn rather than throwing him to the wolves, on the road, in week 1. I think Zimmer made the right call.
Arma
Starter

Post by Arma »

dead_poet wrote:Glazer reporting Cassel has been named starter for week 1.
And that's totally okay. It's pretty hard to argue for Teddy to start with the way Cassel has been playing (even if i think their playing time has given similiar results).

I would of started Teddy. But I'm also not the coaching staff and see them everyday in practice. SKOL :smilevike:
Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote:
Not surprising, if true, and probably a sound decision. Cassel has looked pretty good this preseason (excellent at times) and as we've been saying for months, it makes sense to give Bridgewater time to learn rather than throwing him to the wolves, on the road, in week 1. I think Zimmer made the right call.
Totally agree.

Here's something we all need to remember. Mike Zimmer's primary job is not to develop Teddy Bridgewater. It's to win football games, as many as possible THIS YEAR. It's to shut up all the talking heads who say, "The Vikings aren't making the playoffs anyway, so why not start Bridgewater?" That kind of thinking will get Mike Zimmer fired. His job is to win.

That being said, developing Teddy for the long haul is obviously a smart thing to do, and with Norv Turner on board, I'm confident Teddy will be developed as well as it's possible to be developed. Norv has a great track record, and Teddy obviously has talent.

But right now, Zimmer's immediate task is to beat St. Louis, and he believes the best man for the job is Matt Cassel. That's really all there is to it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.