2014 Vikings Practice Notes/Interviews

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

2014 Vikings Practice Notes/Interviews

Post by dead_poet »

‏@DerekWetmore -- Mike Zimmer said Gerald Hodges and Jabari Price probably won't play this week. Blanton should return to practice today, Prater tomorrow.
@MasterStrib -- Zimmer said Matt Cassel will start against the Chiefs. "Possibility" Bridgewater could play with first team
@VikingUpdate Linval Joseph starting to do some rehab but Zimmer doubts he will play Saturday. .
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2014 Vikings Practice Notes/Interviews

Post by dead_poet »

@mattvensel -- Mike Zimmer said he is still trying to figure out how to proceed at MLB and safety. He didn't see them in the right situations Saturday.
@DerekWetmore -- As Zimmer continues to evaluate safeties, he said he's more interested in learning about what they can do in coverage than at the line.
@GoesslingESPN -- Interesting response from Zimmer when asked about Blanton and Robinson; gave injury update on Blanton, and said, "The other guy? Who knows."
@GoesslingESPN -- Robinson was the player Zimmer was asked about last week when he said, "You can't make the club in the tub." Seems patience wearing thin
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:

Wow. Josh Robinson had better get his backside on the field if he wants to make this club.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Yikes. It is too bad, I always had high expectations for Josh. I thought there might be a chance that Josh could have been a poor man's Asante Samuel, but it appears his time with this team is near its conclusion.

As for Blanton, the sooner he can get out there the better. I have held out hope for him becoming the starter next to Harrison Smith since he was drafted in 2012. Blanton has the ability to cover well. The biggest issue with Blanton is it remains to be seen how well he can be in an enforcer in the box, which, if he is playing SS, is a key component of playing that position.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
He's showing his "Parcells" side.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Yikes. It is too bad, I always had high expectations for Josh. I thought there might be a chance that Josh could have been a poor man's Asante Samuel, but it appears his time with this team is near its conclusion.
Maybe but I think there's a good chance Zimmer is just trying to keep him motivated to get back on the field. It's not an uncommon tactic from NFL coaches.
As for Blanton, the sooner he can get out there the better. I have held out hope for him becoming the starter next to Harrison Smith since he was drafted in 2012. Blanton has the ability to cover well. The biggest issue with Blanton is it remains to be seen how well he can be in an enforcer in the box, which, if he is playing SS, is a key component of playing that position.
It's sounds like coverage might be the key in Zimmer's eyes, which could explain why Blanton was at the top of the depth chart before his injury.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:It's sounds like coverage might be the key in Zimmer's eyes, which could explain why Blanton was at the top of the depth chart before his injury.
For good reason. I still don't think we have the defensive backfield talent to be much more than marginally upgraded from last year. That's IF all the starters stay healthy. We're going to need some major defensive pressure to alleviate their deficiencies and I don't think that's going to be monstrous enough to get it done. I hope I'm wrong.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote: For good reason. I still don't think we have the defensive backfield talent to be much more than marginally upgraded from last year. That's IF all the starters stay healthy. We're going to need some major defensive pressure to alleviate their deficiencies and I don't think that's going to be monstrous enough to get it done. I hope I'm wrong.
I know it's early, but I can't help but think that one of the stud CBs or Safeties would have been a smarter choice than Barr, whose role in the D seems fuzzy at this point. We have a serious problem w/ lack of talent in the secondary.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Texas Vike wrote: I know it's early, but I can't help but think that one of the stud CBs or Safeties would have been a smarter choice than Barr, whose role in the D seems fuzzy at this point. We have a serious problem w/ lack of talent in the secondary.
We also have a huge problem with lack of talent at linebacker, arguably even more so than in the secondary.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

maembe wrote:
We also have a huge problem with lack of talent at linebacker, arguably even more so than in the secondary.

Most definitely. I just think we could have used a MIKE like Mosley instead of Barr.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Texas Vike wrote: Most definitely. I just think we could have used a MIKE like Mosley instead of Barr.
Or Ryan Shazier, who looks like he's going to be all-world in Pittsburgh.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mrc44 wrote:I wish we would have drafted a CB in the middle rounds instead of Jerrick Mckinnon, I don't see anything special about this kid. He is not fast and just lacks burst just like Asiata. We should have drafted one of the top CBs left in the 3rd round.
Hopefully Jerrick gets better, but as of now, he looks like a waste of a 3rd round pick IMO
It's way too early to tell but I agree that he doesn't look particularly fast, even though the beat writers have commented on his speed and have even said they thought he may be able to beat Peterson and Harvin in a foot race. I'd disagree and it appears as though his on-field speed isn't nearly that of Harvin's. Hopefully he's holding back a bit because he's young and still thinking.

The following were a few the CBs listed after our selection (in order of selection):

Jaylen Watkins
Bashaud Breeland
Ross Cockrell
Aaron Colvin
Walt Aikens
Dontae Johnson
Nevin Lawson

Something to keep in mind but it is possible that McKinnon will turn out to be a better player and garner more playing time with the Vikings than the guys listed above. Only time will tell, but we should already be looking into the top draft-eligible corners for next year.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote: Or Ryan Shazier, who looks like he's going to be all-world in Pittsburgh.
I wanted Shazier so bad...
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mrc44 wrote:
I have to disagree with you, I think we had to draft Barr after the loss of Williams and Allen. It is just preseason, but Barr leads the team in sacks and is the only one with a forced fumble. He will end up being a key part of this defense.

I wish we would have drafted a CB in the middle rounds instead of Jerrick Mckinnon, I don't see anything special about this kid. He is not fast and just lacks burst just like Asiata. We should have drafted one of the top CBs left in the 3rd round.
Hopefully Jerrick gets better, but as of now, he looks like a waste of a 3rd round pick IMO
I hope you're right about Barr and wrong about McKinnon. :D It's too early to start the second guessing, though, even if it's really tempting to do it. I guess we're all just arm-chair GMs at heart.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

mrc44 wrote: I have to disagree with you, I think we had to draft Barr after the loss of Williams and Allen. It is just preseason, but Barr leads the team in sacks and is the only one with a forced fumble. He will end up being a key part of this defense.
Brian Robison: Anthony Barr can be a force for Vikings
"He can give us that versatility on defense to where we can all kind of move around and have different parts of the defense and allow us to keep offenses offbeat," defensive end Brian Robison said, per The Star-Tribune. "(Offenses) can't key in on one guy. If they have one guy they need to take care of, they can't because they don't know where he's going to be.
The once-upon-a-time fullback at UCLA is showing the upside that scouts gushed about during the draft. Robison believes it's only a matter of time before offenses take notice.

"(Barr has) got such raw talent with just his speed and stuff," he said. "If he starts learning some of the hand techniques and stuff like that, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... or-vikings