2014 Vikings Practice Notes/Interviews

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: 2014 Vikings Practice Notes/Interviews

Post by Eli »

frosted21 wrote: What if he becomes a 12-15 sack linebacker? A 4-3 linebacker can be something other than the Tampa 2 definition we have come to know.
Put it this way: What would you think of a full-time safety who got 15 sacks a year, but only managed 20 tackles and never defended a pass?

I'd say he's very good at something, but he's playing the wrong position. And that the rest of the team is either going to have to make up for his shortcomings, or else the defense is going to suffer badly from the player being miscast.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

frosted21 wrote: What if he becomes a 12-15 sack linebacker? A 4-3 linebacker can be something other than the Tampa 2 definition we have come to know.
A 4-3 LB hasn't had 12 sacks in over a decade. Not sure when the last time was.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Demi wrote: A 4-3 LB hasn't had 12 sacks in over a decade. Not sure when the last time was.
Von Miller did it in 2012. He was a linebacker in a 4-3 defense.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Eli wrote: Put it this way: What would you think of a full-time safety who got 15 sacks a year, but only managed 20 tackles and never defended a pass?

I'd say he's very good at something, but he's playing the wrong position. And that the rest of the team is either going to have to make up for his shortcomings, or else the defense is going to suffer badly from the player being miscast.
I can't see something like that ever happening, at least not from a full time safety, but I suppose if the defense was designed in such a way that a player deemed a safety got 20 sacks, it would probably have been the intent, and thus a successful outcome.

I understand your point, but I can't see how it would/will be a bad thing for Zimmer to be able to utilize a player in a particular way to attain 10+ sacks, and consistent pressure - hypothetically speaking of course, assuming Barr is even able to do so. To me, the best way to neutralize an opposing offense is via pressure. If Zimmer can get another guy on the field who can contribute to that goal in a big way, within the constraints of his defense, it does not bother me one bit what position he is playing.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2013/2/ ... o-john-fox

I like to think he will use him similar to how Von Miller is used.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Demi wrote: A 4-3 LB hasn't had 12 sacks in over a decade. Not sure when the last time was.
The number of sacks wasn't exactly important, I mean to say, if he is a linebacker in the Mike Zimmer version of the 4-3 defense, and supplies us with consistent pressures/sacks, I won't be complaining. And as mentioned above, Von Miller had 18.5 sacks in 2012, and also had 11.5 in 2011.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:He asked his magic 8 ball?

He's actually a clairvoyant, wearing the disguise of a somewhat grumpy and very frumpy sports writer. :lol:
I think that's it! He's clairvoyant.
As much as I tease Judd, he HAS been at camp and, I believe, most practices and has seen that Ponder is not being given serious consideration despite the lip service that he'd get a shot. I think you're right, though, that there just isn't enough playing time to go around for what they want to do this pre-season. Cassel seemed to force them to play him a bit too, petitioning for more action after the OAK game. We'll see.
It will be interesting. Ponder has clearly been marginalized so I think the main questions are how important is it to Zimmer to keep 3 QBs and if it is important to him, is Ponder the player he wants as his third QB this year? Zimmer said he doesn't see the Vikings just carrying two QBs so I'm guessing if Ponder's not filling that spot, another QB will end up with it.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Why are we still talking about Ponder? The real news is that Teddy is hot right now. Here's to hoping the starting job is still up for grabs.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

To be completely fair, Von Miller plays in a hybrid defense that can't be characterized by 3-4 or 4-3. Then again, I have a feeling we will run something similar to that so I think the comparison is fair. Keep in mind: Barr might not have it all together yet, but I'm certain he can still stick on a running back in man coverage or play the flats in zone. He doesn't have to be great in every aspect, he just has to be a pass-rusher with functional abilities in coverage. What he'll miss in technique early on, he can make up in athleticism.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

DKSweets wrote:To be completely fair, Von Miller plays in a hybrid defense that can't be characterized by 3-4 or 4-3. Then again, I have a feeling we will run something similar to that so I think the comparison is fair. Keep in mind: Barr might not have it all together yet, but I'm certain he can still stick on a running back in man coverage or play the flats in zone. He doesn't have to be great in every aspect, he just has to be a pass-rusher with functional abilities in coverage. What he'll miss in technique early on, he can make up in athleticism.
Great points :)
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This is by no means the only variable, but if the Vikings wish to deal Ponder then why give him so few reps in Pre-Season? It would seem that if they wanted to up his trade value they'd get him some "TV time".

To be honest though, who cares? It seems fairly obvious that at this point Ponder will never be more than an insurance policy this season. To me this is mostly a non-story and is only being discussed because it is the pre-sesaon. If it were week one do any of you think we'll be even talking about Ponder? If we are chances are the injury bug was not very nice to us...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

mansquatch wrote:This is by no means the only variable, but if the Vikings wish to deal Ponder then why give him so few reps in Pre-Season?
Because they are afraid other teams will see how he plays? Seriously he's the 3rd string qb and there's no need to play him when we're still trying to see what TB can do. He won't play at all Saturday, but he will probably play at least half the 4th game.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Lovely.
‏‏@DarrenPage15 -- Still crazy to me the Vikings haven't won a road game in the outdoors since Christmas Eve 2011.... 0-9-1 since.
@DarrenPage15 0-10-1 including the Joe Webb spectacular in the playoffs.
@DarrenPage15 -- Vikings have only won once in Chicago since 2000 and it took 224 yards from Peterson and a GW FG to get the one win.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

‏@MasterStrib -- Thought Jeff Locke had good practice. Pinned in his end zone, he had 3 punts of 60+ yards. Also improving on directional punts #Vikings
‏@MasterStrib -- Cain Colter injured his right hand during practice. Had his thumb taped up #Vikings
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:
Sigh... :( I thought they were finally going to get another win here last year but we all know how that turned out. Hopefully, this year's team will get the job done. It's fun to go see the Vikes here but I miss the days when they would actually win in Chicago.

If the Texans would have opened the roof in 2012, maybe the Vikes would have a road win since 2011... or would that have guaranteed a loss? ;)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@MasterStrib -- Never seen it in camp, but Vikings incorporated a 3-3-5 w/Brian Robison as a standup LB and three CBs. Interesting look #Vikings