What does Teddy have to do to win qb job?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: What does Teddy have to do to win qb job?

Post by PacificNorseWest »

The only time Cutler has had less than double digit INT's were his rookie season when he only started 5 games and an injury-shortened 2011 when he only played 10 games. Walk like a duck, talk like a duck, you a duck. A spade is a spade and Cutler is gonna Cutler.

One of the most physically gifted quarterbacks I've ever seen come into the league. Too bad for his sake he couldn't put the mental side together.

Cassel just needs to stay efficient. He can run into the same turnover problems as Cutler, but he definitely has stretches of very good to great play. He's done it for full seasons twice, so he's about due for another one.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:The only time Cutler has had less than double digit INT's were his rookie season when he only started 5 games and an injury-shortened 2011 when he only played 10 games. Walk like a duck, talk like a duck, you a duck. A spade is a spade and Cutler is gonna Cutler.

One of the most physically gifted quarterbacks I've ever seen come into the league. Too bad for his sake he couldn't put the mental side together.
I don't think that's the issue. I think the main issue is that Cutler, like Favre (who ended up throwing more interceptions than any QB in NFL history) is very willing to take chances. Sure, he throws some INTs that are just plain dumb but he's willing throw into tight coverages and trust his receivers to make plays and when they don't, sometimes it goes the other way.

he's played behind some absolutely terrible offensive lines too, and that never helps.

Cutler can be downright deadly in the 4th quarter, when the game is on the line. I see him as a flawed-but-underrated QB. He and Cassel have something in common: they've both had to play for way too many offensive coordinators in their careers. That kind of instability is never good for a QB. Drop either one into the kind of situation Rodgers has had for most of his career and I think their numbers would be better (than they are now, not better than Rodgers' numbers). Of course, that's purely guesswork...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Career numbers for Cutler would be a passer rating north of 90, which he's never done. Josh McCown beat Cutler's career-high performance last year by 20 rating points. Matt Cassel has had two seasons better than Cutler's best.

If Cutler outperforms Matt Cassel statistically, it will be because the Bears' defense is galacticly horrible again (even worse than the Vikings' last year, and they've done little to improve it) meaning they'll be throwing a lot. Then again, that virtually guarantees he'll have a ton of picks, as usual.

Can you tell I'm not high on Jay Cutler?
It goes without saying: he's a Bear! ;)
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Mothman wrote: I don't think that's the issue. I think the main issue is that Cutler, like Favre (who ended up throwing more interceptions than any QB in NFL history) is very willing to take chances. Sure, he throws some INTs that are just plain dumb but he's willing throw into tight coverages and trust his receivers to make plays and when they don't, sometimes it goes the other way.

he's played behind some absolutely terrible offensive lines too, and that never helps.

Cutler can be downright deadly in the 4th quarter, when the game is on the line. I see him as a flawed-but-underrated QB. He and Cassel have something in common: they've both had to play for way too many offensive coordinators in their careers. That kind of instability is never good for a QB. Drop either one into the kind of situation Rodgers has had for most of his career and I think their numbers would be better (than they are now, not better than Rodgers' numbers). Of course, that's purely guesswork...
You're probably right.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I don't think that's the issue. I think the main issue is that Cutler, like Favre (who ended up throwing more interceptions than any QB in NFL history) is very willing to take chances. Sure, he throws some INTs that are just plain dumb but he's willing throw into tight coverages and trust his receivers to make plays and when they don't, sometimes it goes the other way.

I think your description of Cutler is about as good as I've ever read. I agree with all of it.

I realize it's just preseason but the Bears do seem to be fielding a better and tighter offense right now. And Cutler is looking sharp.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

John_Viveiros wrote: Still, I like Cassel as a week 1 starter. I think he's pretty solid, if unspectacular. I know a lot of you think of him as lower echelon, but frankly, I'd rather have Cassel than Cutler, or Eli Manning.
Thank goodness you aren't our GM.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I think your description of Cutler is about as good as I've ever read. I agree with all of it.
Thanks. :)
I realize it's just preseason but the Bears do seem to be fielding a better and tighter offense right now. And Cutler is looking sharp.
He is and I think their offense will be formidable this year. The question is, will they be able to keep Cutler healthy and field a decent defense. their defensive woes last year were comparable to the Vikes.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: It goes without saying: he's a Bear! ;)
Well, there IS that. My loathing of the Bears is well known (although I think Alshon Jeffery is a stud, so I don't just blindly hate all Bears).

But honestly, what has Jay Cutler done in his career to warrant all the "elite" conversation and the $100 million contract? He's barely a .500 quarterback, has taken his team to the playoffs exactly once, has been to the Pro Bowl once, has a passer rating of 83 with the Bears, and is outside the top 10 in career rankings for active quarterbacks in virtually every meaningful statistic. By the numbers, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, and Philip Rivers are superior quarterbacks, but Jay Cutler is almost always mentioned above those guys (except MAYBE for Rivers). Heck, Jay Cutler's career numbers actually compare closest to Sam Bradford, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Cassel.

It just drives me crazy how much love this guy gets -- he's really done very little. But I digress.

Teddy needs to keep learning, keep growing, keep studying, and keep being a good teammate as he waits for his opportunity. The Vikings have invested a lot in him, and he's doing a great job so far. His time will come.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

DKSweets wrote: I meant that most of those players won't be seeing the field much, and hopefully, at all.

I couldn't agree more.
Unless we don't get a bye, then I want 20 :wink:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

What does Teddy have to do to win qb job?

Post by DK Sweets »

Just Me wrote: Unless we don't get a bye, then I want 20 :wink:
If we go undefeated and still don't get a first round bye, I will yell lots of #### words.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

maembe wrote: Thank goodness you aren't our GM.
I'm not feeling the love at this moment...

Yes, it's just preseason, but have you seen Eli's stats this season? 1 for 9, for 6 yards. Plus his career is fairly "Ponder-ous" - 200 turnovers in 150 games, Sub 60% completion percentage. Career QB rating of 81.2 - not what you would expect from a guy who managed to put together a couple Superbowl victories.

I think Cutler is more talented than Cassel - most of us would agree on that I think. But I think Cutler isn't right 'upstairs' though. My impression is that he's one of the most unlike-able players in the league - maybe just for fans, but he seems like a big #### on the sidelines. I'd give up *some* talent to switch to a guy who seems to be the team player that Cassel is. Obviously, YMMV.