2014 OTA notes/discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2014 OTA notes/discussion

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Purple bruise wrote: You got that right, they know one heck of a lot more than we do.
We shall see. They obviously think that who they picked have high ceilings. IMO these rooks have alot to prove seeing as they were drafted higher than they should have been. :confused:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

CbusVikesFan wrote: We shall see. They obviously think that who they picked have high ceilings. IMO these rooks have alot to prove seeing as they were drafted higher than they should have been. :confused:
Well no, these people definitely know a lot more than you do. Unless you've been meeting these prospects in person, scouting them, watching hours upon hours of game film with NFL coaches of these prospects, then you definitely don't know as much as someone who is employed by any NFL franchise. You might think you do, because as a fan it's usually all about hindsight. I think that's definitely the case here because you're talking about how these rookies have "a lot to prove", rather than explaining exactly what it is that you're skeptical of right now.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

NFL scouting is massive; they talk to
everyone you have known since a kid,
especially old coaches and such. I
seriously doubt many people drafted
in the NFL today haven't had their lives
examined many times

even schools like Stanford do that. I
know who didn't get a scholarship because
of high school coach recommendation.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Slick,
I have had my doubts in the past and they happened to be realized in players like Ponder, Cook, on and on. And yes, there were doubts beforehand. I have big doubts about TB, with his accuracy concerns downfield, and Barr being a one trick pony.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

CbusVikesFan wrote:Slick,
I have had my doubts in the past and they happened to be realized in players like Ponder, Cook, on and on. And yes, there were doubts beforehand. I have big doubts about TB, with his accuracy concerns downfield, and Barr being a one trick pony.
Care to articulate some of these concerns a little bit more in depth that that? Kind of just sounds like you'll doubt any old prospect, and when they're successful you simply let it slide. We're not talking about hindsight right now though, we're talking about foresight. I don't see Barr as a one-trick pony at all so maybe you can enlighten us, and Bridgewater seems more than capable of moving the ball down the field. In fact he was one of the most accurate QBs in all CFB from 5-20 yards. Maybe you're talking about deep passes (20+ yards) where most QBs tend to struggle a little bit naturally. The most accurate of this draft class (as far as deep accuracy) is Johnny Manziel and I'm not entirely sure that a lot of the throws he made in college translate to the NFL where almost every defensive back has 4.5-4.6 speed if not better. With the athletes that we've got it's better to just give them the ball and let them make a play anyways. That's what Teddy's good at.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

CbusVikesFan wrote:I have had my doubts in the past and they happened to be realized in players like Ponder, Cook, on and on. And yes, there were doubts beforehand. I have big doubts about TB, with his accuracy concerns downfield, and Barr being a one trick pony.
You're not alone. There are very few sure things when drafting NFL players.

I'm concerned about Bridgewater's durability, given his thin build, as well as his accuracy. Yeah, he can put on some weight, but that won't make his frame any bigger.

I'm concerned about whether or not Barr can play linebacker in space, or if he's just a great pass rusher. Even in pass rushing, how many great college players have become complete and utter flops in the pros?

Both of these players require something of a leap of faith in hoping their game transitions well to the NFL. Neither is a given. I think the Vikings will take their time with Bridgewater, and develop him as his needs dictate. But Barr will be thrown in there as a starter from day one.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

King James wrote:OTA highlights part 4.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 6ba4f47865

Even those these are just highlights, every pass I see from Bridgewater, it just gives me more confidence that he will win the starting job. Here Cassel should have thrown two picks. Bridgewater passes look so smooth and accurate that no defender is in position to defend them. Looking at all of these highlights it looks like all offense so far. So far the defense looks the same as last year. I'm not surprised because it's still early and half of our defense is revamped. A new D-Line basically, corners are still fighting for Cook's spot and the nickel spot. I think Sanford's spot may be challenged too, Exum looks like a threat. Maybe the defense will really change once Barr gets back in. He seems like a potential difference maker.

Well, count me as one who agrees with you. Despite it being just OTA highlights, I can't help but be impressed with the throws Bridgewater is making, especially as a rookie. The other day there was a highlight of a pass he made while rolling out that was right on the money, even though the WR was in traffic. And it was a medium deep throw, not a dump off pass.

I don't expect TB to come out of the gate as a superstar in his rookie year. But I thought he showed signs of real talent in college ball, and I'm seeing some of his impressive skills in the OTA highlights as well. Of course, I haven't seen all the OTAs.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

6/5
Not present at today's voluntary OTA: Peterson, Jennings, Banyard, Yankey, Barr and Crichton. #Vikings
Present but not participating fully: Griffen, Sanford, Robinson, Burton, Baker and Kalil. #Vikings
Zimmer said Griffen tweaked his back but that it is no big deal. Said he could have practiced today.#Vikings
Standing out today were WR Adam Thielen and RB McKinnon. Teddy Bridgewater had a pretty good day and got some action with some starters.
Christian Ponder did not throw many passes and chucked up a really bad pick to Derek Cox. Locked onto WR at the snap and never looked away.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Christian Ponder did not throw many passes and chucked up a really bad pick to Derek Cox. Locked onto WR at the snap and never looked away.
No surprise. I know it's still early but I really doubt that Norv Turner can fix Ponder as some fans seem to think. Reading through your progressions is something I think that comes natural and not coached. I honestly think the game is too fast for him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

#Vikings worked on red zone/2-min today. Cassel took most 1st team reps. Bridgewater worked w/first team on 2-min vs. I believe 3rd team D
Bridgewater was as sharp as he's looked so far. Also hit a nice long throw down the sideline to Adam Thielen for his first completion.
Antonio Richardson & Corey Wootton received 1st team reps at LT & LDE for Kalil/Griffen. ...Chad Greenway got a lot of work at MLB #Vikings
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

McKinnon was hard to ignore when he was on the field, whether he was motioning out of the backfield to catch passes or trying to get around the edge on outside runs. There was a curiosity about how well he would be able to catch the ball after he had just 10 receptions during his senior year at Georgia Southern, but he has looked pretty natural as a receiver, albeit it in shorts and shells with no contact. He stretched out vertically to make to one particularly impressive catch.
Speaking of Zimmer, today is his birthday. He said that a good gift from his players would have been a good practice, but while he is seeing progress, consider the birthday boy not fully satisfied.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 05011.html
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

"I thought Teddy did well. He still made some mistakes, they all do," Zimmer said. "He did a nice job in the two-minute situation, nice long ball there. He left for those two days, a little rusty when he came back and has picked it up in the last two days. He's done well." [Bridgewater] is a worker, he wants to be really, really good," Zimmer said. "He's kind of feeling his way a little bit around the guys, that'll come with time. He understands he's a young guy, he'll keep...progressing and be comfortable around everybody. I like him a lot, he's going to be a good football player for us."
• A combination of Kurt Coleman and Robert Blanton took snaps alongside starting safety Harrison Smith. Sanford is still out with a muscle pull.
• Linebacker Gerald Hodges saw some work alongside Chad Greenway and Audie Cole behind the starting defensive line. Hodges' snaps came on the outside.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/OTA_ ... ense060514
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer disappointed in defensive red zone

http://www.startribune.com/video/262020 ... witterfeed
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

OTA Highlights for 6/5

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... b4013c19d1

Once again, Bridgewater makes perfect redzone TD throws, throws we all know Ponder and Cassel probably wouldn't make. These passes were dead on accurate because if they weren't these passes could have probably been easily defended.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

dead_poet wrote:Zimmer disappointed in defensive red zone

http://www.startribune.com/video/262020 ... witterfeed
I think having guys like Cassel and Bridgewater working against the 1st team D can really show us where I defense stands. I hate to get all anti-Ponder in this post but I don't think he brings the best out of defense. He often makes mistakes on his own and there's no telling if it was just Ponder messing up or the defense actually making a great play. So far, looking at few highlight plays from Cassel and Teddy B it seems like the defense in general is still easy to pass against. But I know this is still early and the real results come in once the pads are put on. So I'm not worried about the defense right now.