Vikings have big hopes for McKinnon

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Vikings have big hopes for McKinnon

Post by dead_poet »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Why draft/sign AD's replacement now when he still has a few years left and already put miles on that RBs tires? You grab a complement to him, which hopefully McKinnon could be and you replace AD when the time comes. Whether that's 2015 or 2018.

This isn't the same as the Pats grabbing Garoppolo to groom to replace 37 year old Brady a few years down the line.
It'd be a bit surprising if Garoppolo replaced Brady. Brady is signed through 2017 and Garoppolo's rookie contract will expire in 2017. People thought Mallet could replace Brady, too. It'll be interesting to see if Brady declines and Garoppolo improves enough for the Pats to extend him prior to his contract expiring. The timing doesn't really fit on paper (yet).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Imagine where McKinnon would have gone had he just been a little taller, weighed a little more, and yes, had bigger hands? With those metrics? We'd be talking about a top-5 selection easy. I'd personally love to see McKinnon play some safety. Seems like with his speed and agility he'd be the ideal safety to drop down into the box and pick up the opposing RB or even TE. Could really cause some problems up front for blocking schemes provided he can read and react and is a decent tackler. Not going to happen, but would just love to see Zimmer give him some looks there during the offseason.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:It'd be a bit surprising if Garoppolo replaced Brady. Brady is signed through 2017 and Garoppolo's rookie contract will expire in 2017. People thought Mallet could replace Brady, too. It'll be interesting to see if Brady declines and Garoppolo improves enough for the Pats to extend him prior to his contract expiring. The timing doesn't really fit on paper (yet).
As Belichick said ... It's far better to be too early at drafting a replacement than too late. If Garoppolo doesn't play much behind Brady, his second contract will be easily handled. Brady would also be 40 during that 2017 season, so who knows if he'll even play out his contract.
Last edited by Eli on Mon May 19, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

VikingLord wrote:Imagine where McKinnon would have gone had he just been a little taller, weighed a little more, and yes, had bigger hands? With those metrics? We'd be talking about a top-5 selection easy.
You're nuts. He played at Georgia Southern.
I'd personally love to see McKinnon play some safety. Seems like with his speed and agility he'd be the ideal safety to drop down into the box and pick up the opposing RB or even TE. Could really cause some problems up front for blocking schemes provided he can read and react and is a decent tackler. Not going to happen, but would just love to see Zimmer give him some looks there during the offseason.
Wow. Just ... wow. :shock:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Eli wrote:
Why is that so outlandish? McKinnon hardly had a set position in college. He's clearly a good athlete, and it's not unheard of for college players to switch positions coming into the pros. Plus, the Vikings don't exactly have a safety to pair with Smith.

Why not give it some looks and see if it fits? What's the downside?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote:As Belichick said ... It's far better to be too early at drafting a replacement than too late.
That's true. We've seen that first hand.
If Garoppolo doesn't play much behind Brady, his second contract will be easily handled.
Will it? The Pats could be in a bit of a pickle after the 2016 season if Garoppolo shows well in preseasons and spot duty and Brady is still solid and getting them to the playoffs. Garoppolo may be deserving of a chance to start somewhere in 2017. Brady is slated to make $9 million that season. Are you going to give Garoppolo a big extension? Cut Brady? Have them both eating away at your 2017 cap? It'll be interesting to see what happens with Mallet after this season, contract-wise. I'm not sure offering Garoppolo traditional "backup" money would get it done. He may have quite a bit of leverage.
Brady would also be 40 during that 2017 season, so who knows if he'll even play out his contract.
That's true, though I doubt he'd retire before it's up.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote: Again, you're not "complementing" him. You're just subbing for him. Taylor was a good running back.
A bad running back wouldn't be very complementary, would he? ;)

Just what the heck does "complement" mean to you in this context?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:Why is that so outlandish? McKinnon hardly had a set position in college. He's clearly a good athlete, and it's not unheard of for college players to switch positions coming into the pros. Plus, the Vikings don't exactly have a safety to pair with Smith.

Why not give it some looks and see if it fits? What's the downside?
It's not outlandish to think he might be able to play a DB position. He played a little DB in college:

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/132 ... k-mckinnon
Georgia Southern RB Jerick McKinnon worked out as both a defensive back and running back at Thursday's pro day.
"He was fluid, smooth and for the most part looked natural in the secondary," wrote draft insider Tony Pauline, who also complimented McKinnon's work in RB drills. The Cowboys oversaw his secondary work while the Eagles and Raiders directed the RB workout. ESPN's Todd McShay has called McKinnon the draft's most intriguing RB sleeper.
From his draft profile at NFL.com:
Also had two interceptions and a 41-yard kickoff return in an FCS playoff game against Maine. Was utilized on defense in GSU's three playoff games, recording four tackles at cornerback.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Why draft/sign AD's replacement now when he still has a few years left and already put miles on that RBs tires? You grab a complement to him to give him a breather and contribute in the passing game on 3rd downs, which hopefully McKinnon could be and you replace AD when the time comes. Whether that's 2015 or 2018.

This isn't the same as the Pats grabbing Garoppolo to groom to replace 37 year old Brady a few years down the line.

I think that is just what Mckinnon is. He can provided that change-of-pace on third down or if you don't like that word then he can provide the offese was playmaking ability at the RB position even though all-world AP is on the sidelines. After a two or three years then the Vikings assess the situation and deem if McKinnon is ready to become a lead back or they need to get someone else before letting AP go.

Either way...If Mckinnon is as dynamic as it sounds, then it's yet another big time weapon for this offense that makes them that much more dangerous. I don't think there's anything to aruge here until we him play. The theory behind the pick is sound though, in my opinion.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I can't help but think McKinnon is our new Joe Webb. Except McKinnon likely has an advantage that he might have more experience with the positions he'll actually be playing consistently (as opposed to Webb and WR). Either way, I hope he makes more of a positive impact than Joe did, even though I really wanted Webb to become a stud WR from the beginning.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Funkytown wrote: Well, from what I remember about people discussing Childress, "the players had to/decided to win in spite of him." So, maybe this is the same thing. :P

...has to be. :lol:

Slightly different. We may have won with spite of Childress because he was so easy to spite; with Frazier & Clowns we won despite him. :wink:
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I think a player that's too raw with too little experience and hasn't practiced the skill set could be setting him up to fail fairly likely. Joe Webb is kind of the example of that, had he stayed at WR learning that position he might have caught on but try to make him a QB and it doesn't work out so hot. I think Mckinnon will have an easier time at RB and I don't think he'd be an immediate guy you could plug into the starting lineup at safety which seems to be the whole point.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

McKinnon was definitely drafted to play RB. He has a lot of potential at that position as 3rd down back. Considering we were supposedly trying to trade for Sproles earlier in the offseason, and that's what McKinnon's skill set is more or less, I think that's exactly what he was drafted to play. If he were to for whatever reason play safety, I'd think that'd be a huge surprise for everyone including the coaching staff/FO.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Slick Rick wrote:McKinnon was definitely drafted to play RB. He has a lot of potential at that position as 3rd down back. Considering we were supposedly trying to trade for Sproles earlier in the offseason, and that's what McKinnon's skill set is more or less, I think that's exactly what he was drafted to play. If he were to for whatever reason play safety, I'd think that'd be a huge surprise for everyone including the coaching staff/FO.
^This. I definitely think he was brought in to be a RB back, he also has potential to be a punt return man which can knock Sherels out the loop and maybe bring in a new CB in his spot. From the reports I seen from minicamp he was used as a RB. I imagine he will be a RB going into training camp. I know he's played different positions in college but the Vikings have said no such thing about him playing on defense from what I remember. Besides we need a 3rd down back. I think I remember hearing us trying to trade for Sproles as well. Kinda glad we didn't. We managed to get a younger guy, who may posses similar qualities like Sprole, which didn't cost us much.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVaKsRcYsLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9M87YZeTQU

Speed Kills .. man with this guy we have a ton of speed Peterson, Wright, Mckinnon, and Patterson ...

wow think how much speed that is ..

Crossing routes, Double moves etc etc
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!