Teddy Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What a draft for Spielman and company so far. I like the Barr pick, and LOVE the Teddy pick.

Great job, sir!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Rus wrote: Not yet. A proven quarterback is one that has won games in the NFL. He's certainly proven himself over and over at the collegiate level, though.

I'd say he's the first franchise quarterback since Daunte. People forget Culpepper wasn't a bad quarterback at all until both of his knees were blown out. Prior to his injuries, he was one of the top quarterbacks in the league.

There's also Tommy Kramer as well.

None of that meant to disparage the Bridgewater pick, though. I consider it a great value pick where they got him. I think he's definitely a good player and definitely better than Ponder when Ponder came out. The best thing about the current situation is that Cassell is probably a better veteran quarterback right now than McNabb was. Plus, there are a lot of weapons on this offense and a much better offensive line.
I mean a QB who has proven himself in college. Duante Culpepper was good but I don't think he stuck around long enough to be considered a franchise QB. But he is definitely the last good QB we drafted.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

Interesting stat i just thought about. Since Spielman whiffed on the Ponder pick, we got Rudolph that same year in round 2, and 7 first round picks!
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

Yea a 4th round pick is nothing compared to potentially having our QB of the future. However, I believe that it is pivotal that we under no circumstances allow Teddy Bridgewater to play a game next season 'Barr'ing some unforeseen injury to both Cassel and Ponder. Give Teddy a chance to learn Norv's offense and he has all the potential to be a pro bowl QB.
MountainGirl
Rookie

Post by MountainGirl »

I love Mike Zimmer's quotes about Bridgewater: "He just wins and wins" and "We wouldn't have traded up for just anybody."
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Despite what all the silly analysts have said during the offseason, Bridgewater is probably the safest quarterback to pick in this draft. Considering the risk Spielman took in taking Ponder a few years back, taking the safest bet seems to make sense. Arif over on Vikings Territory puts together some great statistical data (and is also a big fan of Bridgewater as a result).

It's a great pick for a guy that inspired the phrase "Tank for Teddy" all season long. Until the offseason happened and guys who do really well in individual workouts throwing the football at a virtually undefended target without legit pressure made Bridgewater look bad.
-Rus
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

This is the most legit QB we've taken since when? Tarkenton? He was the #1/2 prospect in the entire draft. Unlike Culpepper and Ponder.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I like the Bridgewater pick. I had Bridgewater and Manziel basically as 1a and 1b, and quite honestly I think Bridgewater will be the more consistent pro, especially if he gets time to sit and learn without immediate pressure. Manziel will give a team more Favre-like plays probably (both good and bad), but Bridgewater is going to be that Russell Wilson-like presence who just keeps coming until he hits the pass that breaks your back.

Like all draft picks, we'll have to wait and see how this turns out over the longer-term, but this was a solid move by Spielman. He gets an athletic freak for Zimmer's defense, and still comes up and gets one of the top 2 QB's in the draft, and it essentially cost him his 4th rounder to do it.
VikingsBoss
Practice Squad

Post by VikingsBoss »

I like this pick, I especially like that it happened at the end of the first round. The fifth year option is huge. Now, fans just need to be patient. Let Cassel be the guy this year, with Ponder as the backup...Teddy DOES NOT PLAY, with the possible exception of mop-up duty. If we're up 28, down 28...go ahead, skip Ponder and let him take some snaps...otherwise, he's number 3. After this year, Ponder will be gone and he moves up to number 2. The thing about "QBs of the future" is that they are the future. I think Teddy Bridgewater can develop into a very good NFL QB, but I don't think he's ready yet. Matt Cassel can lead this team to playoff contention this year, if he gets hurt and will miss a game or two...Christian Ponder can give you A CHANCE to win. We don't need to rush Teddy Bridgewater, he doesn't need to feel the pressure of an entire franchise on his shoulders yet. If we are patient, if we let Teddy Bridgewater watch, learn and improve...all this talk of not having our franchise QB will be over. If we rush him, if we try to make him the guy from Day 1? Well, I think we'll all be writing these same posts again in 2016.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Questions about him playing outdoors though! TCF vs new stadium? Give him a couple years, than start him at the new stadium?

Come on Cassell, give us a couple solid years, then Bridgewater at the new stadium HERE WE COME!
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Definitely let Cassel finish his contract as a starter. I think Cassel is good enough to get us into playoff contention. After his time's up Teddy B should be ready.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Demi wrote:Questions about him playing outdoors though! TCF vs new stadium? Give him a couple years, than start him at the new stadium?

Come on Cassell, give us a couple solid years, then Bridgewater at the new stadium HERE WE COME!
If Bridgewater can't play outdoors the Vikes will have trouble winning the division given the Bears and Packers play outdoors. I'd be thrilled if Cassell gives Bridgewater 2 years to bake, but I'd be more thrilled if Bridgewater is already the better option at QB by the start of that 2nd season playing outdoors.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Cannot help but be excited about Teddy Bridgewater! And Anthony Barr at Number 8 made me happy, too. As a Viking fan, the smart move is to hedge on my optimism, but forget that... it's dancing banana time! :banana:
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

According to the collective bargaining agreement, how soon can the Vikings get Bridgewater into their weight room? Four or five months of pounding it in the weight room, plus a huge pile of pork chops and potatoes and we shouldn't be afraid of putting him on the field against grown men.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

This made my night. I thought at best we would get Jimmy G. When I heard we traded up, I went hysterical. Could the MN Vikings finally have found their QB (of my lifetime). And its the guy I have wanted us to get for months, even after the pro day.