Your top 5 favorite and least favorite Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

thatoneguy
Backup

Re: Your top 5 favorite and least favorite Vikings

Post by thatoneguy »

Favorites
1. Cris Carter
2. John Randle
3. Kevin Williams
4. Cordarrelle Patterson
5. Chris Walsh

Honorable mention
Adrian Peterson
Antoine Winfield
Lance Johnstone
Moe Williams
Robert Griffith

Least
1. Brad Childress
2. Fred Smoot
3. Percy Harvin
4. Chris Cook
5. Troy Williamson
"This team makes me drink" - Any Minnesota sports fan
MichViking
Transition Player

Post by MichViking »

FAVORITES

Offense.
1.Randy Moss-became a football fan in 98 at the age of 16, and am a die hard Vikings fan because of him.
2.Daunte Culpepper-I just liked watching him run and Blitzers bouncing off of him.
3.Adrian Peterson- Just amazing in every way (except when he talks :lol: )
4.Cordarrelle Patterson-I know its early, but I love his athletic ability (talks worse than peterson)
5.Mewelde Moore- Always gave it his all when asked.

Defense.
1. Jared Allen-Just fun to watch and he was pretty solid.
2. EJ Henderson- Wasnt the greatest but he made alot of crucial stuffs consistently.
3. Harrison Smith-So smooth and instinctive with great vision after the INT.
4. Antoine Winfield-underrated.
5. Vikings safeties 2003 season- Corey Chavous and Brian Russell, 17 INTS combined.

DISLIKE
1. Jerome Simpson-too much celebrating for a 5 yard catch.
2. Percy Harvin- Just couldnt stay on the field.
3. Christian Ponder- That dumb look on his face always.
4. Marvin Mitchell- Stop screaming dude, you made a tackle..congrats.
5. Donovan Mcnabb- Didnt like him to begin with.
RIP Sean Taylor
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

MichViking wrote:FAVORITES

Offense.
1.Randy Moss-became a football fan in 98 at the age of 16, and am a die hard Vikings fan because of him.
2.Daunte Culpepper-I just liked watching him run and Blitzers bouncing off of him.
4.Cordarrelle Patterson-I know its early, but I love his athletic ability (talks worse than peterson)
5.Mewelde Moore- Always gave it his all when asked.

Defense.
1. Jared Allen-Just fun to watch and he was pretty solid.
2. EJ Henderson- Wasnt the greatest but he made alot of crucial stuffs consistently.
3. Harrison Smith-So smooth and instinctive with great vision after the INT.
4. Antoine Winfield-underrated.
5. Vikings safeties 2003 season- Corey Chavous and Brian Russell, 17 INTS combined.

DISLIKE
1. Jerome Simpson-too much celebrating for a 5 yard catch.
2. Percy Harvin- Just couldnt stay on the field.
3. Christian Ponder- That dumb look on his face always.
4. Marvin Mitchell- Stop screaming dude, you made a tackle..congrats.
5. Donovan Mcnabb- Didnt like him to begin with.

Upthread Moth noticed the pattern that high draft picks or major investments (Walker) that underperformed drew ire from fans and ended up on many least favorite lists (Ponder, Williamson, etc.).

Your list reveals another cause: excessive celebration for quotidian achievements. I happen to agree. I like when a player celebrates a big play, but it has to be a worthy occasion or it can grate on me too. Also, dumb celebrations (B-Rob) are annoying too. I like the idea of his fish catching sack celebration, but he just looks so goofy doing it. JA's rope tie was much more grandiose and fun/funny.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

MichViking wrote:FAVORITES

Offense.
Yeah, it's a little early probably to put Cordarrelle on any kind of all-time list just yet. He's off to a good start though. And have you heard him on with PA? He's hilarious. He's got a great personality.
Tark10
Starter

Post by Tark10 »

More old timer input here. Its interesting to see so many similar lists. I would like to emphasize that all these players were signed because of management decisions. The players are what they were. Management made them Vikings anyway. I think in some cases blaming the players would be incorrect. If you prefer charbroiled burgers and eat lunch at Mcdonalds,... Do you blame the restaurant.. no.. you blame the individual for going to the wrong restaurant.
1. Ponder. His scouting report stated he lacked pocket presence and had problems finding secondary receivers. Blame the G.M. for drafting the wrong guy.
2. Moss. Management knew he had character issues which is why he fell so far in the 1st round.
3. Walker (my least favorite) Management traded players and picks to get a guy who didn't fit the Viking offense and was totally in love with himself. This management decision destroyed the team for a few years and cost Burnzie his job.

I would like to see a list of the most common least favorite players and determine which general manager was in charge at the time.
MY LEAST FAVORITE GM WOULD BE MIKE LYNN.
Oh yes! All-time favorite player..FRANCIS ASBURY TARKENTON. HEY MOTHMAN. Tark didn't even make your list?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Tark10 wrote:Oh yes! All-time favorite player..FRANCIS ASBURY TARKENTON. HEY MOTHMAN. Tark didn't even make your list?
LOL! No, I'm sorry to say he didn't. Honestly, although I'm obviously a Tarkenton fan, he's not even my favorite Vikings QB of all time, although he was the best. Tommy Kramer is my all-time favorite Vikes quarterback.

Anyway, my favorite positions have always been defensive line and RB and I'm a defense-oriented fan so even if I was putting together a longer list, it would lean heavily toward those positions, especially d-line. If I expanded the 5 favorites I listed earlier (Page, Eller, Peterson, CC and Dave Osborn) to 10 then Jim Marshall, John Randle and Keith Millard would definitely join the list. Touchdown Tommy probably would too. I'm not sure who the 10th player would... possibly Randall McDaniel or Matt Blair.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: LOL! No, I'm sorry to say he didn't. Honestly, although I'm obviously a Tarkenton fan, he's not even my favorite Vikings QB of all time, although he was the best. Tommy Kramer is my all-time favorite Vikes quarterback.

Anyway, my favorite positions have always been defensive line and RB and I'm a defense-oriented fan so even if I was putting together a longer list, it would lean heavily toward those positions, especially d-line. If I expanded the 5 favorites I listed earlier (Page, Eller, Peterson, CC and Dave Osborn) to 10 then Jim Marshall, John Randle and Keith Millard would definitely join the list. Touchdown Tommy probably would too. I'm not sure who the 10th player would... possibly Randall McDaniel or Matt Blair.
I would take a guess that some where on your expanded list there would have to be room for Bill boom boom Brown (maybe your tenth guy).
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... d65186210a
Last edited by Purple bruise on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:I would take a guess that some where on your expanded list there would have to be room for Bill boom boom Brown (maybe your tenth guy).
Oh, yeah! I don't know if he'd be #10 but he's definitely one of my favorite Vikings. I loved watching the 1-2 punch of Brown and Osborn when they were together!

You have to love that Bill Brown crew cut:

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: Oh, yeah! I don't know if he'd be #10 but he's definitely one of my favorite Vikings. I loved watching the 1-2 punch of Brown and Osborn when they were together!

You have to love that Bill Brown crew cut:

Check him out :rock:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Favorites #1 Tarkenton, #2 Foreman, #3 AD, #4 Page, #5 Eller
Least Favorite #1 Underwood #2 Troy Williamson #3 Chris Cook #4 Spurgeon Wynn #5 Kluwe

chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Kluwe?!? REALLY? He kicked the #### out of the ball for us for a good stretch. He did his job well. You may disagree with his politics but thats no way to judge a player......Heck, if you wanna judge that way....Culpepper ought to be on the Worst list for his publically whoring ways.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

Purple bruise wrote: I would take a guess that some where on your expanded list there would have to be room for Bill boom boom Brown (maybe your tenth guy).
That's what makes it so difficult to pick top guys. Brown was definitely one of my favorites along with Kappa and more. Narrowing to top 5 was not easy. And yeah the Osborn-Brown combo was great!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Delaqure wrote:That's what makes it so difficult to pick top guys. Brown was definitely one of my favorites along with Kappa and more. Narrowing to top 5 was not easy. And yeah the Osborn-Brown combo was great!
They both had a great nose for the goal line.

It really is difficult to narrow a list of favorite Vikings down to 5 players. Heck, I could easily do a top 10 of all defensive lineman! For example:

Page
Eller
Marshall
Larsen
Millard
Randle
Doleman
Pat Williams
Kevin Williams
Allen

Even that list leaves out Sutherland, Thomas, Noga and the oft-overlooked but quite good Doug Martin.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Speaking of the great Bill Brown, there's a great little NFL Films piece on him at this link:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vik ... Bill-Brown

It's about 8 minutes long and it features some great highlights. Brown was one of the best fullbacks of all time and this mini-doc really shows off his versatility.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:
It really is difficult to narrow a list of favorite Vikings down to 5 players. Heck, I could easily do a top 10 of all defensive lineman! For example:

Page
Eller
Marshall
Larsen
Millard
Randle
Doleman
Pat Williams
Kevin Williams
Allen

Even that list leaves out Sutherland, Thomas, Noga and the oft-overlooked but quite good Doug Martin.
Heck, I could pick a top five all-time favorite Vikings from that list alone.

Yet another reason why as a Vikings fan I can't stand seeing our DL as anything but great.