Do you want Johnny Manziel at #8?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 100

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I thought the poll asking about QBs was interesting. One QB, in particular, seems to be very polarizing among the media, but more so with Vikings fans. At first it seemed like a pipe dream he'd even be around at our selection, but I get the sense that it's quite possible now. I'm curious to gauge the temperature of the board on the guy.

So, what'll it be, VMBers? Do you want Spielman to select Johnny Manziel if he's available at #8?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Loki
Veteran

Re: Do you want Johnny Manziel at #8?

Post by Loki »

I voted yes, but at the same time i can see why anyone would say no. Johnny is a major risk being taken that high and it might not seem logical because you could get a player whose skill set has more of a history of transferring to the NFL. But I think with where this team is at with QB (mediocrity at QB for better part of the last decade) we need to take a big risk and chance a big pay-off. I'm curious what people who don't like Johnny think his floor is? I'd say worst case scenario he's Jeff Garcia with less passing td's and more rushing yards and TD's, but his Ceiling is Russel Wilson/Fran Tarkenton. So the way I see it Worst case scenario we have the same production we're getting now just different person who's more exiting to watch and best case scenario we get Fran Tarkenton Jr.
ON TO VALHALLA
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

To me it all depends on who else would be available at that pick. I am not sold on him BUT he would be fun to watch and see if he could bring his college game to the pros. Big risk/Possible Big Reward.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

For the sake of the argument, I'm going to assume guys like Clowney, Watkins, Mack, and Bortles are off the board. If any of them are there, then my answer would be no.

However, it's fairly likely they're not so in that case I would say while I don't want Manziel at the pick, I wouldn't hate it like I would if they were to take someone like Carr. The Vikings offense has been horribly boring to watch these past few years (other than when AD goes beast mode) so the idea of having a guy like Manziel is intriguing. There's no question the guy is a playmaker, it's just how much of that translates to the NFL. If they're ever going to take a player like Manziel, now is the time. The coaching staff should have a couple years of leeway and the team is playing in a college stadium for the next two years so taking a bigger risk now probably isn't as big of a deal.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

No way Rickie reaches on 2 QBs in a row. Both of which will backfire on him. And JFB will be there at 8, a perfect chance for the Vikes to get more picks.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Can't remember where I heard this stat, other than it was on ESPN. But the percntage of QB's drafted in the 1st at his hight is eye-opening dismal. JF may be an exception, but I don't think it's worth it when someone like a Mosley is a can't miss.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Yes, but only if he is on the board and a guy like Bortles, Bridgewater, Watkins, and Mack aren't on the board.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

headless_norseman wrote:Can't remember where I heard this stat, other than it was on ESPN. But the percntage of QB's drafted in the 1st at his hight is eye-opening dismal. JF may be an exception, but I don't think it's worth it when someone like a Mosley is a can't miss.

No one is a can't miss. Mosley has an injury history. I like him a lot, but he illustrates my point--"can't miss" doesn't exist. You can mitigate risk, and some guys are less risky than others, but there is no player without risk.

I'd take Manziel and groom him for a year or until circumstances warrant his playing. He could potentially be a franchise QB. He could also bust, but I feel like it will be pretty clear within a shorter amount of time than for most QB prospects.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I honestly have no freakin' idea if I'd take him at #8. :lol: I can't make up my mind about him but the remaining players on the board would have a huge impact on my decision. He's definitely not a player I'd just draft at #8, regardless of who else was available.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Texas Vike wrote:
No one is a can't miss. Mosley has an injury history. I like him a lot, but he illustrates my point--"can't miss" doesn't exist. You can mitigate risk, and some guys are less risky than others, but there is no player without risk.

I'd take Manziel and groom him for a year or until circumstances warrant his playing. He could potentially be a franchise QB. He could also bust, but I feel like it will be pretty clear within a shorter amount of time than for most QB prospects.

I used 'can't miss' in context vs Johny Football. Otherwise, I never use that prase. But I knre I'd catch heat for using it.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

He's a very intriguing prospect, but I don't think the Vikings will be picking at #8.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

headless_norseman wrote:
I used 'can't miss' in context vs Johny Football. Otherwise, I never use that prase. But I knre I'd catch heat for using it.

So Mosley is a safer pick? I agree with that. But there are times when you have to go for it. The QB position is worth assuming the risk--Manziel could be a very special talent at the most impotent position in the game.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Texas Vike wrote:
So Mosley is a safer pick? I agree with that. But there are times when you have to go for it. The QB position is worth assuming the risk--Manziel could be a very special talent at the most impotent position in the game.

Debating you on this one is like debating myself. I pushed for Manziel not too long ago. The scenario I posted is one that I seem to be leaning towards, but realistically, wouln't be but among many angles I'm sure the staff is looking at and ready for.

To the finer point of taking a chance on someone like him, yes.

But when I heard that dismal stat about first rounders at his height, that's a huge red flag.

-- Bud Grant
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

headless_norseman wrote:
Debating you on this one is like debating myself. I pushed for Manziel not too long ago. The scenario I posted is one that I seem to be leaning towards, but realistically, wouln't be but among many angles I'm sure the staff is looking at and ready for.

To the finer point of taking a chance on someone like him, yes.

But when I heard that dismal stat about first rounders at his height, that's a huge red flag.

I hadn't seen my typo till now! We have certainly been impotent at the QB position recently. For the record, I'm not debating with you, just trying to clarify your point & be more precise. It's fine by me that we see it differently.