Erin Henderson released

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Erin Henderson released

Post by Eli »

frosted21 wrote:I hope Zimmer can exert a good amount of influence on Spielman and get him thinking fresh.
That's the one dynamic that I think is the most interesting moving forward and the one that I think will determine the success or failure of both Zimmer and this team for the next few years. Zimmer has a nice resume, and he appears to be a Jekyll and Hyde type of personality, getting all fired up during games and in one-on-one situation with players, while appearing to be downright shy and tongue-twisted in front of the press. It's his interaction with the front office and his subordinate coaches, though, that will determine his effectiveness. It will be interesting to watch.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Eli wrote: That's the one dynamic that I think is the most interesting moving forward and the one that I think will determine the success or failure of both Zimmer and this team for the next few years. Zimmer has a nice resume, and he appears to be a Jekyll and Hyde type of personality, getting all fired up during games and in one-on-one situation with players, while appearing to be downright shy and tongue-twisted in front of the press. It's his interaction with the front office and his subordinate coaches, though, that will determine his effectiveness. It will be interesting to watch.
I agree 100%. I hope (and believe) he understands this is likely his one and only chance at being a head coach (he's no spring chicken), and doesn't let anything (or anyone) get in his way of succeeding.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

frosted21 wrote: I like Mosley. I think he would fit better here than Mack, just my opinion.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I like Mosley. I like him a ton. But the more the rumor mill is turning, the less it looks like he will be a Viking. Unless we pick up a worthy young QB in FA.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... d-young-qb
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleHalo wrote: They tried that before, it didn't work.
Really? they tried that already huh. You mean that he came into camp and they tried him at outside linebacker or tried him during the season? Hmmm well maybe Zimmer and the new DC could figure it out but thanks for the insight because I had not realized that Griffen had tried and failed as an OLB. He definately has the size and speed to play there. I remember him covering and making one or two ints. and turning one into a TD.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I don't usually find Goessling's articles to be too bad, but this one is really weak IMO.

He argues that Henderson was cut only for off-field reasons; I disagree. He also was a poor player on the field, so he wasn't worth the headaches.
a year after getting a two-year contract from the Vikings, Henderson is looking for a job not because of what happened on the field in 2013, but because of what happened off of it.
Then he includes this weak attempt at substantiating an argument with statistics from a survey:
just over a quarter of the players polled in ESPN's NFL Nation Confidential survey this season said alcohol is a problem in the NFL. There's a reason teams invest so much time into educating rookies about the temptations of being a professional athlete -
Just over a quarter? That's NOTHING! 75% don't think it's a problem. I'd like to see what they think of drug use. Bet it'd be higher.

One redeeming quality: his point on Erin being an illustration of a dark side of the NFL that we fans often don't consider. The stress and the sacrifice and the toll those take. I hope the best for Erin, but this was a good move for the Vikes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... onary-tale
Last edited by Texas Vike on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Texas Vike wrote:I don't usually find Goessling's articles to be too bad, but this one is really weak IMO.

He argues that Griffen was cut only for off-field reasons; I disagree. He also was a poor player on the field, so he wasn't worth the headaches. Then he includes this weak attempt at substantiating an argument with statistics from a survey: Just over a quarter? That's NOTHING! 75% don't think it's a problem. I'd like to see what they think of drug use. Bet it'd be higher.

One redeeming quality: his point on Erin being an illustration of a dark side of the NFL that we fans often don't consider. The stress and the sacrifice and the toll those take. I hope the best for Erin, but this was a good move for the Vikes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... onary-tale
You did not mean Griffin got cut. :wink:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Purple bruise wrote: You did not mean Griffin got cut. :wink:
Correct!

I'd just read your previous post on Griffen, so his name was on my mind I guess. Edited now.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

CbusVikesFan wrote: I like Mosley. I like him a ton. But the more the rumor mill is turning, the less it looks like he will be a Viking. Unless we pick up a worthy young QB in FA.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... d-young-qb
I read that, and I think its a no brainer that one of our first 5 picks this year will be some sort of QB. The question is basically, if the guy you really want is not there by the time you hit #8. Do you take a player that the odds are in his favor that he will succeed in his position (Somoene like Mosley) or do you reach and take whatever is leftover like we did with Ponder. They can claim that he was the guy they wanted at that draft position over and over, but I don't believe it. I think whoever they wanted was gone, and they thought that by the time the 2nd round came around, they wouldn't have their pick of the leftovers. So they reached and took Ponder. I was happy to give him a chance, and be patient with Ponder, but for me, its time to move past that draft day mistake.

I don't know who is even really worth a 1st round pick this year at QB. None the less a high 1st round pick. Some are on the bandwagon for Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel and even Carr is considered an option at your spot. If they evaluate all these guys, and they don't see a guy who could start for us within a year or so, I don't see how they can throw a 1st round pick at him, when there are plenty other Impact type players. If our guy isn't there, wait until the 2nd, or 3rd round and pick up someone like Gorropolo or whatever his name is. Maybe Carr would still be there in 2nd if they truly think he could be the guy. There is always Murrey, McCrerran that will be around in some later rounds as well. Point being, if our Andrew Luck/Cam Newton isn't available to us, lets not just take whatever is left, take a different position with a stud, and try to find a diamond in the rough in later rounds, when it doesn't hurt so much to miss.

Lastly, I think that next years crop of QBs seems better and a deeper draft. I hate saying that it wouldn't bother me too much to have 1 more bad season while we figure things out, get the QB we really want next year and work on turning the whole program around. Watching over the years, when your in search of the QB, sometimes its best to have a really bad year, so you get the pick of the litter. :confused:
Last edited by KSViking on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

KSViking wrote:
I read that, and I think its a no brainer that one of our first 5 picks this year will be some sort of QB. The question is basically, if the guy you really want is not there by the time you hit #8. Do you take a player that the odds are in his favor that he will succeed in his position (Somoene like Mosley) or do you reach and take whatever is leftover like we did with Ponder. They can claim that he was the guy they wanted at that draft position over and over, but I don't believe it. I think whoever they wanted was gone, and they thought that by the time the 2nd round came around, they wouldn't have their pick of the leftovers. So they reached and took Ponder. I was happy to give him a chance, and be patient with Ponder, but for me, its time to move past that draft day mistake.

I don't know who is even really worth a 1st round pick this year at QB. None the less a high 1st round pick. Some are on the bandwagon for Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel and even Carr is considered an option at your spot. If they evaluate all these guys, and they don't see a guy who could start for us within a year or so, I don't see how they can throw a 1st round pick at him, when there are plenty other Impact type players.

Lastly, I think that next years crop of QBs seems better and a deeper draft. I hate saying that it wouldn't bother me too much to have 1 more bad season while we figure things out, get the QB we really want next year and work on turning the whole program around. Watching over the years, when your in search of the QB, sometimes its best to have a really bad year, so you get the pick of the litter. :confused:
As of now, Winston says he won't come out next year. You just never know how strong a QB class is going to be. We need to address the position, but in an intelligent way--not reaching like they did w/ Ponder.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2[/quote]
I like Mosley. I like him a ton. But the more the rumor mill is turning, the less it looks like he will be a Viking. Unless we pick up a worthy young QB in FA.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... d-young-qb[/quote]
just take whatever is left, take a different position with a stud, and try to find a diamond in the rough in later rounds, when it doesn't hurt so much to miss.

Lastly, I think that next years crop of QBs seems better and a deeper draft. I hate saying that it wouldn't bother me too much to have 1 more bad season while we figure things out, get the QB we really want next year and work on turning the whole program around. Watching over the years, when your in search of the QB, sometimes its best to have a really bad year, so you get the pick of the litter. :confused:[/quote]

Who do you invision as that QB that the Vikes can get next year?? This team will win at least nine games this year and will not, in all likelyhood, be drafting in the top ten. And yes it would REALLY bother me to have another bad year while they wait to get the right qb next year :nono:

CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

KSViking wrote: I read that, and I think its a no brainer that one of our first 5 picks this year will be some sort of QB. The question is basically, if the guy you really want is not there by the time you hit #8. Do you take a player that the odds are in his favor that he will succeed in his position (Somoene like Mosley) or do you reach and take whatever is leftover like we did with Ponder. They can claim that he was the guy they wanted at that draft position over and over, but I don't believe it. I think whoever they wanted was gone, and they thought that by the time the 2nd round came around, they wouldn't have their pick of the leftovers. So they reached and took Ponder. I was happy to give him a chance, and be patient with Ponder, but for me, its time to move past that draft day mistake.

I don't know who is even really worth a 1st round pick this year at QB. None the less a high 1st round pick. Some are on the bandwagon for Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel and even Carr is considered an option at your spot. If they evaluate all these guys, and they don't see a guy who could start for us within a year or so, I don't see how they can throw a 1st round pick at him, when there are plenty other Impact type players. If our guy isn't there, wait until the 2nd, or 3rd round and pick up someone like Gorropolo or whatever his name is. Maybe Carr would still be there in 2nd if they truly think he could be the guy. There is always Murrey, McCrerran that will be around in some later rounds as well. Point being, if our Andrew Luck/Cam Newton isn't available to us, lets not just take whatever is left, take a different position with a stud, and try to find a diamond in the rough in later rounds, when it doesn't hurt so much to miss.

Whatever the Vikings do, I would rather not have the losing season. Don't HAVE to make the playoffs but marketable improvement over this past year, however they do it, will be appreciated.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Laserman wrote:I'm expecting more releases, trades, and wheeling/dealing to follow soon. Expect the cleaning of house to flow from the coaching staff to ALOT of players who take up space and don't excel to continue. This playing not to lose philosophy of Childress infected a lot of players too.
Maybe a little Denny Green new sherrif in town mentality!
This space available for rent.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Purple bruise wrote: I like Mosley. I like him a ton. But the more the rumor mill is turning, the less it looks like he will be a Viking. Unless we pick up a worthy young QB in FA.
There isn't worthy young QBs in free agency, there is washed up junk. Young QBs worth anything are traded before free agency. Look at that list, anyone inspired by anyone there? Only one guy I would look at on that list is Clausen, and that is only because he is a young QB from a major college, not because of anything I have seen.

Michael Vick Eagles
Chad Henne Jaguars
Josh Freeman Vikings
Shaun Hill Lions
Charlie Whitehurst Chargers
David Garrard Jets
Rex Grossman Redskins
Jon Kitna Cowboys
Dan Orlovsky Buccaneers
Kellen Clemens Rams
Josh McCown Bears
Luke McCown Saints
Tarvaris Jackson Seahawks
Derek Anderson Panthers
Seneca Wallace Packers
Jimmy Clausen Panthers
Brady Quinn Rams
Jordan Palmer Bears
Matt Flynn Packers
Colt McCoy 49ers
Curtis Painter Giants
Rusty Smith Titans
Joe Webb Vikings
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

PurpleHalo wrote: There isn't worthy young QBs in free agency, there is washed up junk. Young QBs worth anything are traded before free agency. Look at that list, anyone inspired by anyone there? Only one guy I would look at on that list is Clausen, and that is only because he is a young QB from a major college.
quick question, but exactly how many young QBs worth anything have actually been traded at all? Matt Schaub is the only guy who comes to mind. I guess you could say Brett Favre too, but that was over 20 years ago. The rest of the "young back up QBs" who were traded for have generally been monumental failures with their new teams
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

saint33 wrote: quick question, but exactly how many young QBs worth anything have actually been traded at all? Matt Schaub is the only guy who comes to mind. I guess you could say Brett Favre too, but that was over 20 years ago. The rest of the "young back up QBs" who were traded for have generally been monumental failures with their new teams
There is always chance involved, sometimes a guy doesn't get on the right team, they just get on the neediest team. I bet there are just as many guys, who nobody thinks is worth anything, they never get a chance. In the right situation, maybe that hypothetical guy would have been a hall of fame guy. There are so many intangibles involved that nobody really knows. Like I said in another thread, Johnny Unites was cut by the Steelers, and was working as a regular Joe, the Colts came calling......

If things had gone a bit different, Tom Brady could have held a clip board for 90% of his career and never developed into what he is. And the same thing could have happened to Brett favre, and I know 100% there are guys out there where it does go the wrong way for them. Kurt Warner was bagging groceries, before he was picked up to be a backup with the Rams.

It is why I always say, leave no stone unturned! I would trade 3rd round picks every year for young QBs, eventually you may hit on a great one that nobody saw.It's like playing the lottery, so pay on, because you wont ever win until you do, so everything else is a waste of all of our time. I wish I could put that reasoning into front office people, or be one myself.