Vikings @ Bengals Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 16

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Bengals Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 16

Post by Purple Reign »

I know this is a bit off topic - but are coaches really that ignorant of the rules? There just was a turnover in the Bears-Eagles game and Chip Kelly threw his challenge flag. All turnovers are automatically reviewed - why don't coaches understand that? It's not that difficult. Have seen this happen a few times this year in other games.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Purple Reign wrote:I know this is a bit off topic - but are coaches really that ignorant of the rules? There just was a turnover in the Bears-Eagles game and Chip Kelly threw his challenge flag. All turnovers are automatically reviewed - why don't coaches understand that? It's not that difficult. Have seen this happen a few times this year in other games.
Heat of the moment, coaches are human and make mistakes. If he has a guy in the booth on challenge patrol, and that coach told him to do it, then heads might roll. But my guess is that it's on Kelly. The fact that all turnovers are automatically reviewed is fairly new, also, was not that way, historically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

CalVike wrote: Heat of the moment, coaches are human and make mistakes. If he has a guy in the booth on challenge patrol, and that coach told him to do it, then heads might roll. But my guess is that it's on Kelly. The fact that all turnovers are automatically reviewed is fairly new, also, was not that way, historically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it is a fairly new rule, put in last year or the year before, but throwing away a timeout could be a big deal (and no, not so much in this game as it is a blow out). But I think head coaches should be able to understand it, even if it is in the heat of the moment. Even if he did have a coach in the booth telling him to challenge, he should know better. Inexcusable IMO.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: No it's not. Winning our last game will be more of a negative than a positive.
I'm not convinced there is a "meaningless game" in the regular season. It means something to somebody! The players, coaches, and fans want to win. Even those who made the playoffs already and won't likely finish the entire game next weekend, you don't think they are rooting hard for their teammates to win? You don't think the fans want to win? You don't think fans are rooting for upsets? Winning IS important. Win when you can! And I'll speak up as a person who is going to this game, and I know a few others on here are going too, um, winning our last game IS important.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

I don't think it'll hurt us much if we win. There are no 5 win teams currently.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

You're right Purple Pride, now that we have the home field advantage locked up we can just coast and save ourselves for the playoffs.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The last game in the dome is anything but meaningless. WIN this one, if only for posterity.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

MelanieMFunk wrote:I'm not convinced there is a "meaningless game" in the regular season. It means something to somebody! The players, coaches, and fans want to win. Even those who made the playoffs already and won't likely finish the entire game next weekend, you don't think they are rooting hard for their teammates to win? You don't think the fans want to win? You don't think fans are rooting for upsets? Winning IS important. Win when you can! And I'll speak up as a person who is going to this game, and I know a few others on here are going too, um, winning our last game IS important.
Eli wrote: The last game in the dome is anything but meaningless. WIN this one, if only for posterity.
:appl: I'm not traveling 300 miles (600 round trip) to watch the Vikings tank their last game. Go Vikes! :smilevike:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Where did I say they should just coast?

What difference does it make if the Vikings win or lose this game? It means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Is winning 5 games instead of 4 really that big of a deal? Either way it's still a garbage season. And a loss could be more beneficial to the team in the long run (if it moves us up in the draft).

Sure winning the final game at the dome would be nice sentimentally but that's it. The game is basically as meaningless as a pre-season game.

I'll still root for them to win as I do every week, but I'm not gonna cry if they lose, and it's far from an "important game" as you put it.

Here's one for you. What if a win saves Frazier's job? Would you still want them to win? :lol:
A win gives the players something good to remember and build on next year. A loss gives them nothing except even more regrets and doubts.

If a win against the declawed kitties in the last game of the season at home saves Fraziers job, he wasn't going anywhere anyway.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Nobody is going to go into next season saying "Lets ride off that win from Week 17 last year!!"

They'll probably forget about it by Tuesday.

Plus mostly likely the entire coaching staff and at least 10-15 players, maybe more, won't be on the team next year for them to use the win as motivation.
ding ding ding.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

The ones that will be back will be ones that play to win all 16 games.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Webbfann wrote:The ones that will be back will be ones that play to win all 16 games.
Not necessarily. The Vikings have a large number of players who are trying like hell but just don't have the talent.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

The point here is that players for whom the game is "meaningless" will perform accordingly and will not be back.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The fans at the Dome will want a win. And deserve one. Its a division rival. Last game there. And for whatever magical draft picks people think we are getting, I wouldn't count on it. Rickie doesn't even know what he is doing yet. Only 2 teams make the SB, some us fans just like watching the Vikings win. And let the draft hold what it may. Cheering for your team to lose, at home, could get ya tossed out of the bar, at the very least. Play your draft games when the GD season is over. We aernt going to win many games at TCF so a lot of you have more to look forward to for the next 2 years. Just think of all those draft picks!!!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:The fans at the Dome will want a win. And deserve one. Its a division rival. Last game there. And for whatever magical draft picks people think we are getting, I wouldn't count on it. Rickie doesn't even know what he is doing yet. Only 2 teams make the SB, some us fans just like watching the Vikings win. And let the draft hold what it may. Cheering for your team to lose, at home, could get ya tossed out of the bar, at the very least. Play your draft games when the GD season is over. We aernt going to win many games at TCF so a lot of you have more to look forward to for the next 2 years. Just think of all those draft picks!!!
:point: