2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

Post by mosscarter »

first off if we had an actual real nfl caliber coaching staff last season and cassel would have started like he should of, someone posted not too long ago he was on pace for close to 30 td's. now, how can you expect anyone to put up decent numbers when they sit him every other week and he isn't getting first team reps? i don't think cassel is a bum at all, just give him the entire off season and the assurance he is the starter and then lets see how he performs. with that said, looks like there is a great chance bortles is coming our way from everything i read (i know that can all change). bridgewater will most certainly be there, but he has fallen almost everyone's map.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

mosscarter wrote:first off if we had an actual real nfl caliber coaching staff last season and cassel would have started like he should of, someone posted not too long ago he was on pace for close to 30 td's. now, how can you expect anyone to put up decent numbers when they sit him every other week and he isn't getting first team reps? i don't think cassel is a bum at all, just give him the entire off season and the assurance he is the starter and then lets see how he performs. with that said, looks like there is a great chance bortles is coming our way from everything i read (i know that can all change). bridgewater will most certainly be there, but he has fallen almost everyone's map.
Why do we need to give him that? He's been in the league for ten years and still can't outperform Ponder. What makes you think he's all of the sudden going to figure it out?
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

cassel played on the chiefs for god sake and led them to the playoffs one year, since when had they even been relevant prior to that? if cassel starts all 16 games i say he puts up 25 td's (maybe more). ponder never had more then what, 17?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mosscarter wrote:first off if we had an actual real nfl caliber coaching staff last season and cassel would have started like he should of, someone posted not too long ago he was on pace for close to 30 td's

He wasn't on pace for 30 TDs. He appeared in 9 games, started 6 and threw for 11 TDs. Since he played the majority of the Bears/Vikes game at the Metrodome and at least a quarter's worth of time in other games, it's fair to round out his playing time to 7 games, or just under half a season. 11 TD passes in 7 games puts him on a pace to throw 25 TDs in the season, which is very good. Of course, he was also on a pace to throw 20 interceptions... not so good.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

mosscarter wrote:cassel played on the chiefs for god sake and led them to the playoffs one year, since when had they even been relevant prior to that? if cassel starts all 16 games i say he puts up 25 td's (maybe more). ponder never had more then what, 17?
Wow, Cassell, before being cut by KC, had 6 tds. to 12 ints for a qbr. of 66.7 the year before that he had 10 tds. and 9ints. for a 76.6 qbr.. There is/was no mystery as to why they out right cut him. Last year with the Vikings he had 11 tds. and nine ints in nine games played. Time to draft a QB I would say.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings: Rich Gannon says drafting QB first would be 'foolish'
"Based of my knowledge of these players that are coming out (in the draft) and the Vikings' situation, I think they'd be foolish to take a quarterback at No. 8,'' Gannon, a CBS analyst, said in a phone interview. "That's just my personal opinion. They'd be foolish.

"I think they've hedged their bets with Ponder and Cassel. .... Whether they trade back into later in the first round or get a (quarterback) in the second round, to me that makes more sense... And you can still get in the quarterback market next year.
"Personally, I'd be kind of surprised,'' Gannon said. "I think they have enough holes defensively. You got to rebuild that defense, and defense would be the safe way to go.''
http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_25 ... irst-would
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

SI's Don Banks discusses the Vikings basic needs heading into the draft and suggests they should draft Teddy Bridgewater at #8:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... #cnnWebtag
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Purple bruise wrote: Wow, Cassell, before being cut by KC, had 6 tds. to 12 ints for a qbr. of 66.7 the year before that he had 10 tds. and 9ints. for a 76.6 qbr.. There is/was no mystery as to why they out right cut him. Last year with the Vikings he had 11 tds. and nine ints in nine games played. Time to draft a QB I would say.

Bad stats beccause of horrible coaching - they got rid of him to, now notice what KC did the year after.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

maembe wrote:
Why do we need to give him that? He's been in the league for ten years and still can't outperform Ponder. What makes you think he's all of the sudden going to figure it out?

Cassel had several seasons that were much better than Ponder came close to, including playoff years.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

headless_norseman wrote: Cassel had several seasons that were much better than Ponder came close to, including playoff years.
He's had two and that will tend to happen when your career is 6 years longer than the other guy's. :)

For what it's worth, Cassel has technically only started on one playoff team. The 11 win team he played on in New England didn't make the playoffs, although they were playoff-worthy.

Other than starting for that NE team, who went 16-0 a year earlier and was loaded with talent, his record as a starter is 22-31. That's not all on him, of course, but he's really only had one strong season since leaving New England and that was in 2010.
Last edited by Mothman on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

I think that Pat team was 11-5, weren't they?

-- Bud Grant
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

headless_norseman wrote:I think that Pat team was 11-5, weren't they?
Yes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

frosted21 wrote: Yes

Thought so, cause I remember back then that we hardly see teams with that record not make the playoffs.

-- Bud Grant
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

headless_norseman wrote:
Thought so, cause I remember back then that we hardly see teams with that record not make the playoffs.
Yeah it was kind of ridiculous.!

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

headless_norseman wrote:I think that Pat team was 11-5, weren't they?
That probably had more to do with Belechick and the rest of the team. In his last 3 years of playing in New England he only threw 39 passes (that's all three years, with 2 tds.and 2 ints.) What is important is that this journeyman qb spiralled down the tubes with KC where his last season he threw twice as many ints. than tds.. After that they realeased him after his last terrible season.
I am not sure what play-off games he played, the only one I remember was an embarrasing loss to the Ravens 30-7 and Cassel had a total of 70 yards passing for the game.
Last edited by Purple bruise on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.