2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Loki
Veteran

Re: 2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

Post by Loki »

Eagle07 wrote:
I was also a huge fan of De'Anthony Thomas in college and really wanted to see the vikes go after him late in the draft to play Norv's Darren Sproles role. That said his ceiling is much lower than Jerick McKinnon's. In addition to the 30lbs he has on Thomas (which Thomas can't gain without losing speed) he ran a faster 40 time(4.41 to Thomas's 4.5), Had the most reps in bench press of any running back in the draft (next best had 6 less), was 2nd in Vertical jump with 40.5, 2nd in long jump with 11.0, 3rd in 3 cone drill with 6.83, and 4th in 20 yard shuttle with 4.12. He also displayed excellent hands during the receiving drills at the combine, he caught the ball away from his body, something running backs rarely do. He definitely has work to do since he is coming from a small school but we have Adrian so it's a perfect opportunity for him to hone his technical skills while playing the 3rd down receiving back role. 3 years or so down the road i think it will be hands down McKinnon is the better player unless Thomas begins to play mainly slot receiver and less running back, which could easily happen.
ON TO VALHALLA
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

JD_Fiction wrote:I still don't understand how they pick Jerick Mckinnon over De'Anthony Thomas.
I don't know much of anything about Mckinnon except for what I've been reading since he's been drafted, but I was never thrilled about Black Mamba in the NFL. He's a change-of-pace guy or that tradition 3rd down back type, but not a guy that will have a sustainable career as a lead back.

Obviously with AP, they wouldn't ask him to do that, but Oregon running backs of the Chip Kelly era in general translate very well to the NFL. Now, having said that, he might have a solid start to his career in KC just because of how he'll be used and because of Andy Reid. He's more hit or miss to me. I think Minnesota needs a guy they'll hit on and I'm confident they think Mckinnon is just that.

I just never had a great about him, but who knows.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

PacificNorseWest wrote: I don't know much of anything about Mckinnon except for what I've been reading since he's been drafted, but I was never thrilled about Black Mamba in the NFL. He's a change-of-pace guy or that tradition 3rd down back type, but not a guy that will have a sustainable career as a lead back.
Right now, if the Vikings needed anything at RB it was a change-of-pace and 3rd down type of back. Lead back? Are you taking the Peterson stories seriously? The Vikings didn't need another lead back.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I guess in my mind, I want a back that can considerably lighten AP's load. I suppose that very well could be a 3rd down back, but I feel like I'd want someone capable of more just in case. A definitely wouldn't mind a Darren Sproles type on this roster, but I just never had a good feeling about any of the Oregon RB's. Just look at LaMichael James.

I don't believe the story, no.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Eli wrote:What's the story behind why David Yankey fell to the 5th round?
My favorite thing I've read about this is, "Yankey has a big name but little game..." I don't know why, but I just think it's hilarious.

:govikes:
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

Eli i think PacificNorseWest isn't trying to say he's going to be a lead back now, but that becasue of his size if Peterson would get hurt or when he retires Mckinnon will have the ability to take over 50% of the carries. Mckinnons size is the same as Maurice Jones-Drew, LeSean McCoy, Ray Rice and Darren McFadden, he is also bigger than Chris Johnson, Jamal Charles and CJ Spiller all of these backs have carried a majority of there teams snaps at one point or another. Thomas on the other hand is only comparable to teamate Dexter McCluster, he is also 15 pounds lighter than Darren Sproles. This simply wont cut it for a for a lead back in the NFL. I see Thomas maxing out at 25-30% of the carries while playing a lot of snaps at reciever like McCluster.
ON TO VALHALLA
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Heard Barr and Bridgewater signed their contracts. Seems really early for 1st rounders. Does this mean they can participate in OTAs?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:Heard Barr and Bridgewater signed their contracts. Seems really early for 1st rounders. Does this mean they can participate in OTAs?
Barr can't:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 17261.html
Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr, defensive end Scott Crichton and offensive lineman David Yankey hit the field Friday for the team’s rookie minicamp. But unlike the other drafted rookies, they will have to fly back to campus after the session Sunday because of an NFL rule.

UCLA, Oregon State and Stanford are on a quarterly session rather than semesters, so all three players can’t participate with the team outside of the rookie minicamp until after their final day of exams if they haven’t graduated.
I assume Bridgewater can participate.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Ah that's right, forgot about that. I know with the new agreement there's very little to negotiate but it still seems early for them to sign, especially Barr. Didn't Kalil sign right before training camp? I was just trying to figure out if there was a reason, I thought maybe to get them on the field earlier. Looks like Barr will miss all 3 OTAs but will be available for the mandatory minicamp.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Crichton just signed. Only rookie that's left is McKinnon who I imagine will sign within the next day or so.