Spielman's "Doing Work" Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Spielman's "Doing Work" Mock Offseason

Post by Eli »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Giacomini is a pure depth signing. As you can see, I didnt have us re-signing J'Marcus Webb. Giacomini would be signed as a backup for both Kalil and Loadholt, not as a starter.
J'Marcus Webb is also currently signed to a multi-year contract. I don't see him being replaced for depth at OT.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

NextQuestion wrote:I am not in favor of Carr at all, and Cook should be gone. He struggles even in press coverage. Carr is a noodle arm who excels with bubble screens and check downs
If that is true we already have that in Ponder. Don't need another one
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

there is no way the vikings take carr in the first round that is ridiculous. with our luck, we will win the last two weeks and be picking more like 15th. if manziel is there they should take him and if not, maybe take a chance in the 3rd or 4th round on a qb, but there are a ton of other areas we need help in too.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

mosscarter wrote:there is no way the vikings take carr in the first round that is ridiculous. with our luck, we will win the last two weeks and be picking more like 15th. if manziel is there they should take him and if not, maybe take a chance in the 3rd or 4th round on a qb, but there are a ton of other areas we need help in too.
The worst we can possible do is 14th, even if we win both games and the worst combination of other teams winning / losing happens.

I agree about Carr, he's a MEGA reach in the first round and IMO the easiest to spot instant bust. He has so many red flags it's not even funny. I just hope we aren't the team to get caught up in his passing yards and take a chance.

I'd like to do a thread like this in April when we know more about these guys, things will change so much by then! Even some free agents will likely be gone and re-signed before we can make a move on them.
Last edited by mondry on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mosscarter wrote:there is no way the vikings take carr in the first round that is ridiculous. with our luck, we will win the last two weeks and be picking more like 15th. if manziel is there they should take him and if not, maybe take a chance in the 3rd or 4th round on a qb, but there are a ton of other areas we need help in too.
Taking Carr in the first is ridiculous but taking Manziel isn't? I don't get that logic. Carr is a projected 1st rounder on most draft boards so I'm not sure where you're getting your info. Manziel has a terrible attitude and mechanics and is a projected 2nd rounder on many draft boards.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I'd definitely rather take him or Bortles in the top 10 though than Manziel anywhere in the 1st.
Agree 100%

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:However I would not mind Nix/Barr/Gilbert/Mack etc in the 1st and then take a chance with like Boyd, Garoppolo, Murray or Mettenberger in the 2nd or 3rd. Or even trade our 2nd for Cousins.
I also wouldnt mind doing this also. The QB we could possibly land in the 1st will not be THAT much better than someone we can grab in the 2nd or even 3rd for that matter.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Taking Carr in the 1st isn't ridiculous. Taking him in the Top 10 might be a slight reach but QBs get overdrafted all the time, because of how important the position.

I'd definitely rather take him or Bortles in the top 10 though than Manziel anywhere in the 1st.

You may not like Carr but a lot of pundits have him as a 1st round grade with Top 10 in some mocks. That is nothing like Ponder. Ponder was always a projected 2nd round pick until maybe an hour before the draft when rumors came out that the Redskins were considering him with their 1st.

However I would not mind Nix/Barr/Gilbert/Mack etc in the 1st and then take a chance with like Boyd, Garoppolo, Murray or Mettenberger in the 2nd or 3rd. Or even trade our 2nd for Cousins.

If Brett Hundley declares I wouldn't hesitate taking him in the Top 10 and have him sit behind Cassel for a year. But reports are he's leaning towards staying right now.
You don't want Manziel in the first? My problem / point is I don't want ANY of them in the first! At least not #7-#10 (the most likely area we'll be picking) but if we manage to trade down to like 18-22, pick up an extra 2nd rounder, then we can start talking. Otherwise I don't see how we can pass up on those guys you mention, Nix, Barr, Gilbert, or Mack
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
The QB we could possibly land in the 1st will not be THAT much better than someone we can grab in the 2nd or even 3rd for that matter.
That's what I'm trying to get at, take the best CB, LB, NT we can get and then think about maybe moving around from our 2nd rounder to target the QB.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

You don't keep Gerhart. There are much cheaper, yet effective options that can be attained in the draft. Gerhart wants money and a staring spot anyway.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

NextQuestion wrote:I am not in favor of Carr at all, and Cook should be gone. He struggles even in press coverage. Carr is a noodle arm who excels with bubble screens and check downs
Not a fan of Carr either but have you seen him play? He definitely does not have a noodle arm. Arm strength is probably one of his biggest assets.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

I believe if Griffith hits FA he wont be back.
And I'm not sure the Bills will let Byrd hit the market.
Toby will be too expensive to keep as a backup.
Webb will not be retained, just isn't that special at this point.
This space available for rent.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Taking Carr in the 1st isn't ridiculous. Taking him in the Top 10 might be a slight reach but QBs get overdrafted all the time, because of how important the position.

I'd definitely rather take him or Bortles in the top 10 though than Manziel anywhere in the 1st.

You may not like Carr but a lot of pundits have him as a 1st round grade with Top 10 in some mocks. That is nothing like Ponder. Ponder was always a projected 2nd round pick until maybe an hour before the draft when rumors came out that the Redskins were considering him with their 1st.
I saw him projected as a mid-to-late first rounder earlier than that but it doesn't really matter. In fact, I'd argue that pre-draft projections don't matter much as an indication of what teams should do with their picks. People take the projections very seriously but they're guesswork, nothing more, and they're often WAY off target. Where teams rank players often differs from where the "experts" project them and it's common to see players perform above or below those pre-draft expectations. Where Ponder was projected, where Carr or Bortles or Manziel or whoever is projected isn't that important because it's not necessarily indicative of where they will actually be selected or how they will perform.

Having said that, at this point, I'd be very wary of drafting Bortles or Carr with a top 10 pick. Maybe I'll change my mind about that as I learn more about that but based on what I know now, I'm guessing there will be better choices players at other positions at that point in the draft.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

Laserman wrote: If that is true we already have that in Ponder. Don't need another one
We don't need one.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Manziel FTW!
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

Purplemania wrote:Very nice and interesting. You sure did put a lot of time into this. Few issues though :D

1. I think Cassel will only return if he's promised to be given a fair shot to start. And when I say fair, I mean fair fair, not like last season when Frazier said the QB spot was open for competition when it clearly wasn't. It might even have to be a guarantee that he starts in order to bring him back.
I just had to take issue with this. WHEN did Frazier EVER say there was an open competition for the QB position going into this season? He and RS ALWAYS said that it was Ponder's job. Cassel came here to be a backup, which was all he was going to be anywhere after the dreadful season he had in KC in 2012. Although probably knowing a bad QB when he saw one, I'm sure he thought his chances to eventually start here were pretty good.

Now, I do agree with you that Cassel would probably have to have some real assurance that he will get a legitimate shot to start to even consider returning to the Vikings next season. I hope he does. If a rookie beats him out for the starting job, and he stays as a backup, the Vikings could have about as good a QB situation as any team in the league.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Hahahaha. I love the username and the title of thread man!

I like your ideas! However, for Jarius Byrd to come here, we are going to have to switch the defense. Jarius Byrd in the Cover 2 would be a waste of money. Also, I think Walter Thurmond is going to stay in Seattle given that Brandon Browner could be suspended indefinitely.

I have yet to look at the potential FA list, but if Alteran Verner makes it to FA I really hope we go after him. Verner can tackle and cover, despite only being about 5'10. He would be great CB to have on this team.

Also, I would hope Shaun Prater continues to get time the last two games and gets resigned. Let me tell you, after watching him here at Iowa, the kid has talent. Prater and Hyde were great CBs for us here at Iowa.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.