what position should Vikings draft?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

what position should Vikings draft with their first pick in '14

QB
57%
OG
5%
RB :)
No votes
DT
2%
LB
19%
CB
7%
S
No votes
DE
10%

Total votes: 42

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

what position should Vikings draft?

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Assuming BPA is a tie at every single position when the Vikings draft in the 1st (ie, the best QB is rated 95, the best OG is rated 95, the best DT is rated 95, etc. etc. for every single position), what position should they take???
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: what position should Vikings draft?

Post by VikingPaul73 »

PS - of course this depends on what the Vikings do in FA before the draft (Griffen, Cook, K-Will, etc.) but 'Tis the season for rampant speculation! So feel free to state your assumptions after you vote!!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

If everyone is an elite prospect I would imagine you have to go with the QB. If you wanted to try to win with Cassel I could see NT, CB, LB all making a big impact.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Using your premise that BPA is a tie at every position, then QB should be the unanimous choice.
This, given that premise it would be insane to not pick a QB. However, it seems much more likely that where we're drafting that there will be a couple defensive players that are better at their respective positions than the QBs available.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

No reason why the Vikings can't trade up to get multiple picks in the first round, but regardless, their first pick should still be a QB.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Generally, no QB will stick around if they have equal grades to other players at other positions. They are just too important. It's a no-brainer to choose a QB in this situation. The big question is to reach for a QB with a late 1st round grade, or to select another position with an early 1st round grade.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

we have crap luck with first round QB's IMO

I would rather have us get a stud defensive player and a development QB in the second or third round

Rodgers sat for years behind Farve (yes i know he was late first round pick 24th i think). Young sat behind Montana
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Even with all of the issues on defense, and even with Matt Cassel emerging as a half-decent looking starter, quarterback is far and away the Vikings' most critical need. But if that franchise QB isn't there when they pick in the top 10, I have no problem with the Vikings taking a linebacker, cornerback or defensive tackle. Not sure if there are any offensive guards in this year's draft that warrant that high a pick; there usually aren't.

I'm not a complete believer in selecting BPA over all else, except when that player is clearly better than anyone else on the board. If there were two players that the Vikings liked at (say) #10 - a guard and a nose tackle - and they considered the guard to be the BPA, unless that guard is really something else, take the nose tackle.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

I want manziel QB, if only because if he becomes a star like Brees, who I wanted them to draft badly, I will be beside myself for another 10 years. I know you aren't asking for a specific player, but I am looking for extra credit. :)
This space available for rent.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

jackal wrote:we have crap luck with first round QB's IMO
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only 1st round QB's drafted were Culpepper, Kramer and Ponder.

Not a bad strike rate.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

PurpleHalo wrote:I want manziel QB, if only because if he becomes a star like Brees, who I wanted them to draft badly, I will be beside myself for another 10 years. I know you aren't asking for a specific player, but I am looking for extra credit. :)

So do I. And I think he could be ready by his 2nd year with Cassel starting/mentoring next season. He's good, he's legit and he still has more to learn bringing some more upside. I think he has it and he should be there where ever we end up drafting.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

headless_norseman wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only 1st round QB's drafted were Culpepper, Kramer and Ponder.

Not a bad strike rate.
Tarkenton wasn't a 1?
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

PurpleHalo wrote: Tarkenton wasn't a 1?
A 3rd round steal, like Montana :rock:

-- Bud Grant
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Best player available. I feel more comfortable with them going defense (Clowney/Barr) and seeing what's available in round 2 for QB.

Cassel isn't the long-term answer, but he's a suitable player for a team that can definitely benefit with a young and athletic defense moving outdoors for two years. He has experience in cold weather having been in KC and he can move the chains and get everyone involved.

It's one of those cases where he has top level talent every single place you look (AP, Jennings, Rudolph, Patterson) and just needs to distribute. If Vikings show desperation for a franchise quarterback then this has the potential to set the team back more than we know as of draft day.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

headless_norseman wrote: A 3rd round steal, like Montana :rock:
And if things would have fallen right, it would have been perfect time to have followed Tark with Montana, omg.