Derek Carr

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VolsNVikes28
Backup

Derek Carr

Post by VolsNVikes28 »

Am I the only one afraid that we'll draft David Carr's little brother instead of Manziel or anyone else available at our position?
mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Derek Carr

Post by mondry »

VolsNVikes28 wrote:Am I the only one afraid that we'll draft David Carr's little brother instead of Manziel or anyone else available at our position?
Heck no you aren't! Very rarely do you get to see a glimpse of a guy's future before you pick him but that's exactly what having an older brother in the NFL is. It's great when your brother is successful like the Trufant's, Kalil's, etc but when your brother is a first round mega bust? HECK NO STAY AWAY PLZ!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote: Heck no you aren't! Very rarely do you get to see a glimpse of a guy's future before you pick him but that's exactly what having an older brother in the NFL is.
That's just silly. Did Tim Hasselbeck's career play out like his brother Matt's? Has Eli Manning's overall performance been comparable to Peyton's? What about Eddie Payton and Walter Payton? Were Walter and Eddie's NFL careers even remotely comparable?

Anyway, I'm not worried about the Vikings drafting Carr. I realize he's highly-ranked among college QBs now but I seriously doubt he'll ultimately be rated high enough to merit a choice where the Vikes will be picking. I'm not even convinced he'll go in the first round but who knows? Draft boards tend to change radically during the offseason months leading up to the draft and I'm not exactly a QB or draft guru. :)

By the way, perhaps this should be in the Derek Carr thread that already exists:

http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/view ... 12&t=26686
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I'm afraid of just about anyone they pick to be a QB on this team. Spielman and his personnel staff don't have a very good track record in that department. Just gotta cross your fingers.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Hilarious scenario: Texans get #1 overall and draft Carr.

No more bubble screen guys. Manziel can wing it
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

mrc44 wrote: Well hopefully we get a new coach that demands some say in the decision. We need a coach that can develope a young QB hopefully that Coach shows up and picks a QB that he feels can get the job done.

Point being, there is a good chance that there will be new staff that will bring in new light on the QB decision..
Hmmm.... When was the last time the Vikings had a head coach who demanded a major say in personnel matters, and thought he could develop young quarterbacks?
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

This years QB draft is going to be wild one. There are so many teams that need a starting QB and good back up as well. Derek Carr will impress. And a dozen others. I cannot remember a draft with so many first round potential QB's. I sure hope its the Vikings hit the home run this time. We deserve a good to great QB. It's been a long time.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Decker85
Backup

Post by Decker85 »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:People gotta get over the "David Carr's little brother" factor.

I'd take him over Manziel in a heartbeat.
This. I already made a posted about this but Im from Fresno and go to all the dog games. Yes, its the mountain west, but Derek Carr is ballin. Hes great on and off the field. Perfect fit for a francishe qb. I remember telling myself last year "man, if ponder sucks again, I want him to suck so bad that we end up drafting Derek Carr." I got the first part of my wish so far.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I was touting Carr early last season. I think he'll make a good pro....but that don't mean squat really.

We need a guy who has an actual functional NFL gameplan on offense.

I am amazed at how quickly Trestman has turn the Bears O around.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Purplemania wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y54EIciZvTE

Just stumbled upon this video today. :shock: That is some...scary as frriggin stuff. His happy feed is reminisce of Ponder and his older brother. It's like he's afraid to get hit. Also a little bit inaccurate, but I know he can sling the ball well, and this video chose his bad throws. But still, that feet mechanic...
That video reminded me more of Tavaris Jackson than it did Ponder - though I do see what you're saying. All I could see was that he was too willing to abandon proper, good mechanics when he felt pressured. Every time he got pressure in his face, he looked like he would just throw it up off of his back foot - which is far more dangerous than anything I've seen Ponder do on a consistent basis.

He looks like he's a very raw talent which is not what this team needs right now. He's a potential star in the making, but he would take an awesome QB coach and many years of sitting behind a starter to get a chance. I'm sure some team will give him a franchise role - I just hope it's not the Vikings.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:I was touting Carr early last season. I think he'll make a good pro....but that don't mean squat really.

We need a guy who has an actual functional NFL gameplan on offense.

I am amazed at how quickly Trestman has turn the Bears O around.
It's not just due to game-planning. They brought in a pass catching TE, Jeffery is healthy (he missed a lot of time last year) and they have 4 new starters on their o-line. Trestman deserves a lot of credit because the offense is well-coached and the playcalling is good but personnel changes have been a huge key to their offensive success.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote: It's not just due to game-planning. They brought in a pass catching TE, Jeffery is healthy (he missed a lot of time last year) and they have 4 new starters on their o-line. Trestman deserves a lot of credit because the offense is well-coached and the playcalling is good but personnel changes have been a huge key to their offensive success.
I agree. I think the vikes have brought in some great personnel also.

After watching what the Bears did to Dallas with a journeyman qb, I'm convinced that scheme and system is every bit as important as everything else. Not news, I know....but I think we have serious competitive issues at the coaching positions.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:After watching what the Bears did to Dallas with a journeyman qb, I'm convinced that scheme and system is every bit as important as everything else. Not news, I know....but I think we have serious competitive issues at the coaching positions.
Scheme and system certainly matter but I think the bigger differences between the Bears offense and the Vikes are in personnel (especially at WR) and the actual playcalling. I think Musgrave's scheme is fine but he doesn't have Trestman's instincts as a playcaller. In that sense, I agree with you.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote: Scheme and system certainly matter but I think the bigger differences between the Bears offense and the Vikes are in personnel (especially at WR) and the actual playcalling. I think Musgrave's scheme is fine but he doesn't have Trestman's instincts as a playcaller. In that sense, I agree with you.
I think the playcalling and instinct angle is spot on and more the heart of my meaning. Nice catch.

It's one thing to design plays and formations...knowing when they will work is another thing entirely.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Purplemania wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y54EIciZvTE

Just stumbled upon this video today. :shock: That is some...scary as frriggin stuff. His happy feed is reminisce of Ponder and his older brother. It's like he's afraid to get hit. Also a little bit inaccurate, but I know he can sling the ball well, and this video chose his bad throws. But still, that feet mechanic...
I don't spend much time scouting out prospects, and so often YouTube and the like tend to show off the highlight. I remember getting all giddy about Troy Williamson and was disappointed about the reality.

It is nice to see these kinds of videos that analyze the other side. This has raised some significant questions about Carr. OTOH - this was apparently last year. I wonder how well Derek has corrected these issues? I suppose we ought to be looking for updated versions on Carr, and other prospects such as Bridgewater.

As we approach this critical draft, I am hoping I can watch some of the bowl games (although that may be slim pickings considering that I do not have cable, so those of you that do, PLEASE give us your analysis). Otherwise, I would like to see some of the highlights and lowlights of QB's that may be available to us.

Thanks for passing this along. Good stuff.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."