Keep Cassel

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

im4mnvikes
Starter

Keep Cassel

Post by im4mnvikes »

DRAFT DEFENSE :wallbang:
maembe
Franchise Player

Re: Keep Cassel

Post by maembe »

Oh please no.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

You have to ask yourself a few questions before jumping on the OP. #1, is QB the biggest need right now? I say NO. #2, is this team going to be ready to compete for a super bowl next season? I say NO. #3, is there even a QB in the draft good enough to draft if given the chance? Maybe. #4, is Cassel competent enough to be the QB of this team, I think so.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Stop. Just stop.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Of the three QB's on the roster, the only one I would keep is Cassel. Then, I would draft the QB of the future and just for jollies a 3rd or 4th rounder QB, too. If the rookies aren't ready, Cassel is the starter next year. Ponder and Freeman get a one-way Greyhound bus ticket. Maybe we can trade Ponder for a 5th round pick.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

im4mnvikes wrote:DRAFT DEFENSE :wallbang:
We do need a few players, but our defense is fixed immediately with a different DC and a more aggressive HC
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

With our #1 pick? Sure. If Bridgewater is gone, or you don't like what you see. We can't force the damn position again just because we need a QB. How'd that work last time....if that means Cassel, and a later round pick used at QB? Fine. Murray in the third? yay! Whatever you do, DON'T draft "BQBA"...
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

mmvikes wrote: We do need a few players, but our defense is fixed immediately with a different DC and a more aggressive HC
I don't know if it's that simple. Did you see how slow our pass rush was today? Conditions were obviously poor, but they were in slow motion all day.
beardedterror
All Pro Elite Player

Post by beardedterror »

mmvikes wrote: We do need a few players, but our defense is fixed immediately with a different DC and a more aggressive HC
I agree to an extent. I would say a more aggressive approach (from either DC or HC) AND a healthy secondary, which we certainly don't have. I don't think there's a coach in the NFL that could create a winning D out of the secondary we are fielding right now.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

We gotta draft a QB, but yeah like Demi says, we can't get handcuffed with another reach. Obviously drafting a QB that high means he gets 3 years no matter what with this organization. I mean Ponder set the bar pretty friggin low for crap tolerance and that's why I'm not too confident with that potential high pick and the current crop of college QB's. Imagine getting the next Jamarcus Russell, or Ryan Leaf, or another Christian Ponder, or Manziel, and having to go through this for another 3 years? No thanks. But Cassel is not the answer either. He's a pretty good stop gap and I would be ok with him starting another year, but today he nearly threw 3 picks on some ill advised throws.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Leslie does the right thing. Cassel gets the start!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

There are enough middling QBs out there to chose from, none of which need to be very expensive. We really need to rebuild our defense, and NOT just the secondary. During that year or two (I PRAY) a young QB ought to get the time to learn and be coached by a good staff that knows how to develop talent (IMAGINE Doing that for once!!)......But that plan requires a good coaching staff which we DO NOT HAVE. I never though much of the hyper active goon that coaches Seattle but you know what? He seems to be able to take talent and make it BETTER! I haven't seen that on my team in decades.......
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

tmscr wrote:You have to ask yourself a few questions before jumping on the OP. #1, is QB the biggest need right now?
Yes. I can't even take anyone seriously who argues otherwise.

But don't reach in the draft because of it. If a QB isn't there when you pick in the 1st, wait and see what the 2nd round has to offer.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Eli wrote: Yes. I can't even take anyone seriously who argues otherwise.

But don't reach in the draft because of it. If a QB isn't there when you pick in the 1st, wait and see what the 2nd round has to offer.
We have a defense that is 2nd in the league in most yards allowed/game (401.2), 3rd in most passing yards allowed/game (282.5), 11th in most rushing yards allowed/game (118) and 2nd in points allowed/game (30.4). Yeah, I'd say you can make the argument that QB isn't the biggest need right now.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

We need a QB who can play defense!! :smilevike: