Toby Gerhart

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Toby Gerhart

Post by mondry »

Eli wrote:The thing that amazed me most were the size of the holes that Toby had, compared to Peterson. Like someone said above, defenses sell out to contain Peterson because they have zero fear of the Vikings' passing game.
Well why would you when he's on the field and it's a 3 tight end 1 full back 1 RB formation with our 11 guys all in the box hehe.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

If you want to put Toby Gerhart's performance against the Packers into proper perspective, look at what Reggie Bush and Joique Bell with the Lions are doing to the Packers on Thanksgiving. There's not much of a run defense in Green Bay these days.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Eli wrote:If you want to put Toby Gerhart's performance against the Packers into proper perspective, look at what Reggie Bush and Joique Bell with the Lions are doing to the Packers on Thanksgiving. There's not much of a run defense in Green Bay these days.
Yep I was thinking the same thing. It puts TG's performance a little more into perspective. We nearly had 2 100 yard rushers and so did Detroit in a 5 day span vs that sorry defense. However in Gerharts defense, he did look like he was finding the holes better than AD. I mean I actually heard myself calling for more TG late in the Packers game. While TG was shooting through holes, AD seemed to be frequently running into the backs of his blockers.

3rd quarter runs
-2 AD
8 AD

3 AD
2 AD

7 AD
5 AD
15 Gerhart
6 Gerhart
26 Gerhart
11 Gerhart
1 AD
1 AD

4th quarter runs
5 AD
17 AD
3 AD

2 AD

Overtime runs
3 AD
15 AD
9 Gerhart
4 AD
12 Gerhart
11 Gerhart
1 Gerhart
-5 AD

3 AD
2 AD

2nd half stats
Peterson 18 carries 74 yards 4.11 YPC. (14-72 5.14 in the 1st half)
Gerhart 8 carries 91 yards 11.38 YPC. (no carries in the 1st half)
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

I think we should keep Toby as the RB of the future and trade AD. Toby doesn't have much miles on his frame while Peterson is obviously headed down hill. Trade Peterson for as much as you can get and keep Toby.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Delaqure wrote:I think we should keep Toby as the RB of the future and trade AD. Toby doesn't have much miles on his frame while Peterson is obviously headed down hill. Trade Peterson for as much as you can get and keep Toby.
The way that Toby runs, you'll probably get fewer years out of him than AP if you turn him into a feature back. Eddie Lacey is the same way - throw a wrecking ball RB in there and run him 25+ a game, and he'll falter after about the 4th season.

The shelf life for RBs is so minimal...that's even more true for non-finesse runners like Gerhart. His talents scream to be used as a spell back.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

thatguy wrote: The way that Toby runs, you'll probably get fewer years out of him than AP if you turn him into a feature back. Eddie Lacey is the same way - throw a wrecking ball RB in there and run him 25+ a game, and he'll falter after about the 4th season.

The shelf life for RBs is so minimal...that's even more true for non-finesse runners like Gerhart. His talents scream to be used as a spell back.
He was the same type of runner at Stanford and finished #2 in the Heisman. I look for him to end up with the 49ers and the Harbaugh connection.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

I was actually kidding. I really think we need to keep Toby. What happens if Peterson goes down? We have no one Tire replace him if Toby's gone. He is a good back and I would be sorry to lose him. Having decent depth at RB is just as important as any position and we don't have that if he is gone. With all the needs This team has in other positions I don't want to have to waste a draft pick on someone to back up AP when we already have a good one.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Purple bruise wrote:
He was the same type of runner at Stanford and finished #2 in the Heisman. I look for him to end up with the 49ers and the Harbaugh connection.
That means nothing in so many ways! Reggie Bush is the most injury-prone RB out there, and he actually WON the Heisman.

The wear and tear in college is nothing compared to the hits they take in the NFL. There's a reason why an NFL RB only lasts about 3 years in the league.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Delaqure wrote:I was actually kidding. I really think we need to keep Toby. What happens if Peterson goes down? We have no one Tire replace him if Toby's gone. He is a good back and I would be sorry to lose him. Having decent depth at RB is just as important as any position and we don't have that if he is gone. With all the needs This team has in other positions I don't want to have to waste a draft pick on someone to back up AP when we already have a good one.
I agree 100%; however, the concern is that with Toby's flashes of ability and his understandable lack of willingness to be a #2 guy, it's gonna be hard for the Vikings to lock him up without spending more money than they should have to.

I don't see why we wouldn't go get one of the many other veteran RBs that will be looking for a home next season and utilize them the same way we did Toby - keeping the cap open for more important acquisitions.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

thatguy wrote: That means nothing in so many ways! Reggie Bush is the most injury-prone RB out there, and he actually WON the Heisman.

The wear and tear in college is nothing compared to the hits they take in the NFL. There's a reason why an NFL RB only lasts about 3 years in the league.
I am not sure about "all of the ways" that that means nothing to you". :?: My point is that he was a very accomplished, tough, durable running back in college, and he has brought those same abilities to the pros. In 2009, Gerhart had 1,871 rushing yards and 28 rushing touchdowns.[7] Gerhart led the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision in rushing yards (1,871), rushing touchdowns (28), total touchdowns (28), and points scored (172 points).
Toby is 231 lbs and Bush might weigh 205. Hard to compare the two for durability, since Toby has no history of injury.
So I guess I am not sure what point you are trying to make in your response to my post.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Purple bruise wrote: So I guess I am not sure what point you are trying to make in your response to my post.
Heismans do not always reflect the player's future in the NFL is the point I'm trying to make. Yes, Toby was the same runner at Stanford, but that doesn't determine his long-term viability as a RB in the NFL.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

thatguy wrote: Heismans do not always reflect the player's future in the NFL is the point I'm trying to make. Yes, Toby was the same runner at Stanford, but that doesn't determine his long-term viability as a RB in the NFL.
My point was not that winning the Heisman means that he will be durable but that he performed well enough to garner 2nd place in the voting having carried the ball numerous times and was injury free.
And so I was wondering about your comment, "That means nothing in so many ways! Reggie Bush is the most injury-prone RB out there, and he actually WON the Heisman." :?: You brought up Bush as being the MOST injury-prone RB out there (I highly doubt that) and then reminded you that Toby is a punishing 231 lb. back and Bush might be 205 lbs.

thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Purple bruise wrote: My point was not that winning the Heisman means that he will be durable but that he performed well enough to garner 2nd place in the voting having carried the ball numerous times and was injury free.
And so I was wondering about your comment, "That means nothing in so many ways! Reggie Bush is the most injury-prone RB out there, and he actually WON the Heisman." :?: You brought up Bush as being the MOST injury-prone RB out there (I highly doubt that) and then reminded you that Toby is a punishing 231 lb. back and Bush might be 205 lbs.
"Punishing" is the key word there. Reggie Bush is absolutely a finesse runner where Toby just likes to run into to people and carry them downhill. He's the same kind of runner that Eddie Lacey is. Just because he's bigger, it doesn't mean that the wear and tear on his body isn't any less prevalent when he's more keen on running downhill as opposed to making things happen with agility.

And yes, Reggie Bush is the most injury-prone RB in the game (maybe there's a 2nd or 3rd-stringer that I'm overlooking, but he's a premier RB). Just look at how many games he's missed in his career - mostly due to injuries.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

And yes, Reggie Bush is the most injury-prone RB in the game (maybe there's a 2nd or 3rd-stringer that I'm overlooking, but he's a premier RB). Just look at how many games he's missed in his career - mostly due to injuries.[/quote]

I would have to see the actual stats on who is the most oft injured running back in the NFL. I would think that Matt Forte and Ryan Matthews would be close to the top. Keeping in mind that Bush was used as a punt return guy (has had over 91 punt returns) in addition to being a running back.

Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

And imagine if "run in a straight line" Toby was given 300 carries a year.

One trick pony. Won't work in most offenses, but maybe in Vikings 1990s big ten offense.

No thanks. He's a north south quasi-power runner. who can block.

You can find that in mid to late rounds of the draft.

Keep him? fine. Don't? Fine. Why is this even an issue. :confused: