Peterson's Health

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Peterson's Health

Post by DanAS »

I understand that AD is injured -- not the kind of injury that would keep him out of a playoff game, but enough to seriously impair his performance. The Vikings are 2-8 and clearly going nowhere this year. Why then would we not sit this guy and get him healthy?

There's an old line that is used among litigators that goes: "Even the thinnest of pancakes has two sides." Well that may be true about pancakes, and it's certainly true about most legal disputes, but I can't for the life of me figure out why a 2-8 team would play their star when he is significantly injured. I would sit that guy down until he can play at more or less full strength, and if that takes place in 2014 ... then I'd hope to enjoy one heck of a first round draft pick. This isn't called tanking. This is called taking care of your assets.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Peterson's Health

Post by Funkytown »

Do you want to be the one to tell Peterson he should sit out? ;)

He's a competitor. He'll be out there playing unless he can't walk. That's just him. I happen to appreciate it.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Need to wear him down as fast as possible. That's the key!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Get him healthy for what exactly?

I thought it was said he was 100% healthy after the Dallas game. I guess not. Or maybe not. Or...

Better hope to God that all we're seeing is the result of a nagging injury and not the inevitable wall that he, like every other running back who has ever played the game, will run into. They tend to hit it very suddenly and very hard.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Eli wrote:Get him healthy for what exactly?

I thought it was said he was 100% healthy after the Dallas game. I guess not. Or maybe not. Or...

Better hope to God that all we're seeing is the result of a nagging injury and not the inevitable wall that he, like every other running back who has ever played the game, will run into. They tend to hit it very suddenly and very hard.

First it was a hamstring injury, now apparently he's suffering from a groin injury that happened somewhere after that redskins game.
TremorVike13
Backup

Post by TremorVike13 »

He is chasing football immortality and wanting the ultimate prize, football hall of fame and the rushing title. I believe he is smart enough to know if his career was at risk than he would sit down. If Sanders could do it on the Lions than he has got this. Just watch and enjoy.
I have never seen a guy who wants to either get the record or burn out quickly more than AD so let him do his thing. If you believe the coaches have control over him than your crazy, bad team yes but he will do what he has to. :v):
"Fun to do bad things"
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I agree DanAs but it would have to come from Zygi himself. Everyone else on the staff and the FO is desperate to end the season positively and hopefully spare their jobs. I fear they'd be willing to run him into the ground for a few meaningless wins even though this is in the long term interests of neither the team nor Adrian Peterson.

Plus think of the Fantasy implications :)
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Get him healthy for what exactly?
The rest of his career. They tend to hit a wall because they do crap like keep playing on bad hamstrings and groins when they don't need to...every players body is only going to have so many plays in it. Getting him beat up, with a nagging injury, is only going to shorten his career.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

VikingPaul73 wrote:I agree DanAs but it would have to come from Zygi himself. Everyone else on the staff and the FO is desperate to end the season positively and hopefully spare their jobs. I fear they'd be willing to run him into the ground for a few meaningless wins even though this is in the long term interests of neither the team nor Adrian Peterson.

Plus think of the Fantasy implications :)
So let it come from Zygi then. He's the one paying this guy a bazillion dollars for playing a position that is hardly the most important position in the game. He needs to say thanks to Zygi for all that money even though he's not a QB, and then promptly sit his butt down and get healthy. It's not like he needs to pad his stats to get into Canton. He's a shoo-in for Canton -- and I mean first ballot -- if he never plays another down.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

DanAS wrote: So let it come from Zygi then. He's the one paying this guy a bazillion dollars for playing a position that is hardly the most important position in the game. He needs to say thanks to Zygi for all that money even though he's not a QB, and then promptly sit his butt down and get healthy. It's not like he needs to pad his stats to get into Canton. He's a shoo-in for Canton -- and I mean first ballot -- if he never plays another down.
I agree, but Zygi just doesn't seem like the meddling Jerry Jones type owner. I hope Zygi does make that call, I just don't think he will.