Draft Status

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft Status

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, there has only been 1 draft in the last 25 years in which 3 QBs were taken in the top 7 picks (1999) and considering the QBs in this class, it seems unlikely to happen again this year. I certainly won't deny the possibility but I don't think it's anywhere close to a sure thing that picking #8 would deny the Vikes a shot at one of the top 3 QBs. If it did, that might be good news because it would mean only 4 players at other positions had been selected, giving the Vikes a shot at filling another area of need with a potential impact player.

As an aside, is there even a truly elite Calvin Johnson/Adrian Peterson-like player in this draft? Do Clowney or Bridgewater fit that description? Just asking...
You're right, that is rare and I might have gotten ahead of myself. However, of the 7 teams picking ahead of us right now, I'd say 6 of them could easily be interesting in the position. That's St.Louis, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Cleveland, Houston, and Jacksonville. Now maybe St.Louis and Tampa are okay with Bradford and Glennon, I don't know, but the other 4 surely need QB's as bad as we do, or considering Cassel, maybe even worse. I agree though if it did happen, take the best player that falls to you and don't even think twice!

Not a draft expert and it's still early, so I honestly can't really say if there is a guy like megatron or AD. I wasn't exactly saying there was though, just that if there is, it's unlikely to get a guy like that #8.

That should give them a shot at either a terrific player or, if they really feel the need, put them in position to move up a bit.

I can't believe you put that post together. Just reading it made my head spin. How long did it take you to work out all those scenarios?
For sure, if they make the most of the pick, it should definitely be a strong player. As for putting it together, open up the NFL standings page by division, then it was just one click on the teams in question and 1 click on the schedule tab to see the last 2 teams they play, back button twice, repeat. I tried to add a lot of space between each section hoping to make it easier to read and so it wouldn't just be a cluster #### of words, not sure what else I could have done. :(
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mondry wrote:This win moved us from #3 to #8, a drop of 5 spots. A truly elite player like Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson is now well out of our reach, as are the top 3 QB's.
I disagree. There are plenty of examples of elite players going outside the top 8. Randy Moss (21), JJ Watt (11), Tom Brady (199), John Randle (undrafted), Jared Allen (126), Cris Carter (fourth round supplemental), Thurman Thomas (40), Andre Reed (86), Terrell Davis (196), Dan Marino (26th, fifth QB taken), Bo Jackson (7th round), Victor Cruz (undrafted), Steve Smith (Carolina, 74), Richard Dent (203), Roger Staubach (122) and so on.

It's also not a consensus that the top 3 QBs will be gone. There's also the possibility of trading up, though I doubt Rick would do that. Though after giving up a king's ransom for Patterson, you never know.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

A postiive of a run on QB is that elite talent at other positions will drop. That also makes draft day trades more probable IMO.

I would say that all bets are off on QB. Look at how many went in the top 10 in 2011 when we reached for Ponder.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote:
I disagree. There are plenty of examples of elite players going outside the top 8. Randy Moss (21), JJ Watt (11), Tom Brady (199), John Randle (undrafted), Jared Allen (126), Cris Carter (fourth round supplemental), Thurman Thomas (40), Andre Reed (86), Terrell Davis (196), Dan Marino (26th, fifth QB taken), Bo Jackson (7th round), Victor Cruz (undrafted), Steve Smith (Carolina, 74), Richard Dent (203), Roger Staubach (122) and so on.

It's also not a consensus that the top 3 QBs will be gone. There's also the possibility of trading up, though I doubt Rick would do that. Though after giving up a king's ransom for Patterson, you never know.
Most of those guys just come from a different time, heck even since moss joined the league it's been 15 years. Football and college players specifically are just under a way bigger micro scope now, it's very rare guys slip through so massively misjudged like most of those guys you listed these days.

Let's not get this confused either with guys who get drafted outside the top portion of the first round that go on to have good careers or hall of fame ones either. I'm talking about a prospect on the level of Calvin Johnson or AD falling to #8. Moss for example, while talented, there is no doubt in that, had extreme character concerns thus hurting him as a -prospect-.

Covered the QB thing with jim in my last post! I hope we don't trade up, I'm just not a fan of it. Even if Patterson is great, Keenan Allen looks pretty good and we could have got him in the 3rd round. Add on a linebacker or something and we might be better off. Of course Patterson could one day make Allen and whoever else look like amateurs so who knows.
mansquatch wrote:A postiive of a run on QB is that elite talent at other positions will drop. That also makes draft day trades more probable IMO.

I would say that all bets are off on QB. Look at how many went in the top 10 in 2011 when we reached for Ponder.
Yeah, 2011 repeat would be an absolute disaster. If a couple QB's go and we reach on one, ugg!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mondry wrote:Most of those guys just come from a different time, heck even since moss joined the league it's been 15 years. Football and college players specifically are just under a way bigger micro scope now, it's very rare guys slip through so massively misjudged like most of those guys you listed these days.
I still don't agree. They were scrutinized way back then too. I don't see how scouting has necessarily improved to "can't miss" status. Every year players are skipped over for one reason or another. Early guys still bust. Later guys still shine. In addition to Watt and Cruz listed above...Jamaal Charles (73), Geno Atkins (120), Jimmy Graham (95), LeSean McCoy (53), Gronkowski (42), Russel Wilson (75) are recent guys that should've been taken earlier (in some cases WAY earlier) given their performance vs. draft position. It happened in the last draft and it'll happen in this one.
Let's not get this confused either with guys who get drafted outside the top portion of the first round that go on to have good careers or hall of fame ones either. I'm talking about a prospect on the level of Calvin Johnson or AD falling to #8. Moss for example, while talented, there is no doubt in that, had extreme character concerns thus hurting him as a -prospect-.
I guess I don't understand why that's relevant. My point is there are elite, impact-level players that are found outside the top 8. They could end up being MORE impactful that the seven ahead of him. Heck, Clowney could drop that far. Barr could end up a better player. Those same prospects could also turn out to be busts. Bridgewater could drop if teams have some concerns (competition, for example), or if their scouts think a different QB would fit better in their system. EJ Manuel, for example, was a bit of a surprise to be the first QB drafted (I think most people had Geno ranked as the #1 QB). Nobody is a can't miss player and coaching, work ethic and system all play into a player's eventual success (or not).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think they need to stick to BPA. As much as I want to see them get a QB, if they reach it could end in a wasted pick, ie Ponder. There is zero guarrantee the top guys will be the best QBs taken. Heck Russel Wilson and Kaepernick were both mid-round guys. I agree on having the pick of the litter and all of that, but we are not likely to be in that position.

To be honest, Cassell's option to get out of his contract is probably a huge issue for Spielman right now. (possibly THE issue.) Once the draft order is set they will likely need to resign him ASAP. IMO, they are going to have to pay him and IMO they should pay him. I'd rather see them draft a developmental guy and use a run on QBs to get a top tier talent at another position. (Like NT, OG, LB, or CB...)
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:As an aside, is there even a truly elite Calvin Johnson/Adrian Peterson-like player in this draft? Do Clowney or Bridgewater fit that description? Just asking...
If you believe some of the scouts, Clowney appears to be the closest to "that guy." He has his question marks so he could slide some (like AD did) but I don't think he falls out of the top 5 unless he does something truly dumb.

As for the draft, it seems almost like a win/win to me. These next two games will be against stiff competition so we'll get to see if Cassel and some of the younger players show potential. If they do, the Vikings win and we maybe have a couple more answers where there were question marks. If they lose, well then they pick higher. In either case, the Vikings have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds so there should be a good infusion of talent.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote: I still don't agree. They were scrutinized way back then too. I don't see how scouting has necessarily improved to "can't miss" status. Every year players are skipped over for one reason or another. Early guys still bust. Later guys still shine. In addition to Watt and Cruz listed above...Jamaal Charles (73), Geno Atkins (120), Jimmy Graham (95), LeSean McCoy (53), Gronkowski (42), Russel Wilson (75) are recent guys that should've been taken earlier (in some cases WAY earlier) given their performance vs. draft position. It happened in the last draft and it'll happen in this one.
I guess I don't understand why that's relevant. My point is there are elite, impact-level players that are found outside the top 8. They could end up being MORE impactful that the seven ahead of him. Heck, Clowney could drop that far. Barr could end up a better player. Those same prospects could also turn out to be busts. Bridgewater could drop if teams have some concerns (competition, for example), or if their scouts think a different QB would fit better in their system. EJ Manuel, for example, was a bit of a surprise to be the first QB drafted (I think most people had Geno ranked as the #1 QB). Nobody is a can't miss player and coaching, work ethic and system all play into a player's eventual success (or not).

I completely agree. Furthermore, one of the examples you're using as "truly elite" guys that will surely be gone is AD who was 7th overall when we picked him in 2007. I don't see why there is some kind of magical threshold at pick #8.

There will be a lot of talent in this draft and we have plenty of needs--we can find a game changer. This draft is going to be strong (1st round elite talent) in LBs and WRs IMO.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote:
I still don't agree.
fair enough...

And I accept your point, because it's OBVIOUS that there are more than 8 good players in any given draft. My point, that you're not accepting, is that to get a megatron or AD level prospect you better be picking pretty high, probably higher than we are. If you don't agree that's one thing and it's totally fine, but I'd like to hear why you think the very best elite prospects can be picked up #8 over all. Calvin Johnson went #2 overall I believe and AD went #7. Either Manning, Andrew Luck, etc, these guys just don't come around very often and have a very high success rate, thus they rarely drop to #8, or in most cases don't even get past #1 or the top 5. If Clowney, after the combine, all the film, and all the analysis rates out for DE's what Calvin Johnson did for WRs I have no doubt he'll be gone by #8. What reasoning can you possibly have to say otherwise? Sure he may not pan out, he may be a bust, but that doesn't mean he'll be there for us to take and that's my point.

Bridge water isn't an elite prospect though, or at least I don't think he is. Keep in mind that's DIFFERENT from being the best QB in the draft, which in itself still has an insane amount of value by default, but he's not on a level of Manning or Luck so he doesn't qualify. That's not to say bridgewater won't be a probowl or hall of fame QB, he's just not a once in a life time prospect. Keep in mind, their may be ZERO elite prospects in this draft and maybe that's where the confusion is coming from? I'm not saying, "hey this guys the best DT in the draft so he's automatically an elite prospect"

Texas Vike wrote:

I completely agree. Furthermore, one of the examples you're using as "truly elite" guys that will surely be gone is AD who was 7th overall when we picked him in 2007. I don't see why there is some kind of magical threshold at pick #8.

There will be a lot of talent in this draft and we have plenty of needs--we can find a game changer. This draft is going to be strong (1st round elite talent) in LBs and WRs IMO.
The magical thresh hold probably isn't even 8th, it's probably more like #5 but you could argue #3. But AD, as elite of a prospect as he was, had significant injury concerns having broken his collar bone TWICE at OU and had another significant injury in college. A lot of people thought his style would break him and I'd say the league under valued the RB position in general.

There is a thresh hold though because truly elite prospects are so dominating with so much potential, that unless they have some kind of injury or character concern there is just no possible way they make it that long. For example, You can pick Calvin Johnson or Ted Ginn Jr. Pretty simple, you take Calvin Johnson, much bigger physically, much more impressive stats, etc etc. Next one, you can take Calvin Johnson or Jamarcus Russel. Again it's pretty simple, take Calvin Johnson, however ONE Team got so caught up in thinking they could fix their QB position, a more important position, that they flubbed it up.

The problem with elite prospects falling to #8 is that you need not just one oakland raider type pick, you would need 7 teams to do it. Unless of course their's an even better player, like Calvin Johnson. Hard to say the Lions messed up on adrian peterson when they got megatron. No matter what though, the Atlanta Falcons picking #8 had no shot at Peterson and that's the point, they didn't even have a chance at him.
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

mondry wrote: Most of those guys just come from a different time, heck even since moss joined the league it's been 15 years. Football and college players specifically are just under a way bigger micro scope now, it's very rare guys slip through so massively misjudged like most of those guys you listed these days.
Aaron Rodgers, 2005, 24th pick... (urgh... Troy Williamson.... Erasmus James... urgh..)
Craig S
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mondry wrote:My point, that you're not accepting, is that to get a megatron or AD level prospect you better be picking pretty high, probably higher than we are.
And as I've shown, that's not necessarily the case. You don't need to be picking that high to get a player of that caliber.
If you don't agree that's one thing and it's totally fine, but I'd like to hear why you think the very best elite prospects can be picked up #8 over all.
Because scouting is an inexact science and players drafted out of the top-10 have gone on to have much, much more productive careers than some of the guys drafted before them.
Calvin Johnson went #2 overall I believe and AD went #7. Either Manning, Andrew Luck, etc, these guys just don't come around very often and have a very high success rate, thus they rarely drop to #8, or in most cases don't even get past #1 or the top 5.
To Jim's point, is there a guy like that in this draft to begin with? Is Teddy Bridgewater that once-in-a-generation player? I'm skeptical (though think he'll likely be very good). For the sake of argument, let's take one of your examples: Eli Manning. He was drafted #1 overall in 2004. He has two Super Bowl rings. What if I told you the guy that was taken 10 spots afte rhim that year also has two Super Bowl rings, is 10th all-time in NFL passer rating (92.9), 5th in yards per attempt (8.06), and 11th in completion percentage (63.24%). He has the fourth highest career winning percentage (.710) as a starter in the regular season among quarterbacks with a minimum of 100 starts. Ben Roethlisberger was the third quarterback taken that year. I'd argue he's had as much or more success than the 10 players taken before him, save for maaaaybe Larry Fitzgerald. Heck, that same year Jared Allen went 126th overall.
If Clowney, after the combine, all the film, and all the analysis rates out for DE's what Calvin Johnson did for WRs I have no doubt he'll be gone by #8.
That's where I think part of the disconnect rests: the ratings. It's not an exact science. Those same ratings (people) gave us guys like JaMarcus Russell, Charles Rogers, Vernon Gholston, Troy Williamson and Jason Smith.
What reasoning can you possibly have to say otherwise? Sure he may not pan out, he may be a bust, but that doesn't mean he'll be there for us to take and that's my point.
I think I'm starting to see what you're getting at.
Bridgewater isn't an elite prospect though, or at least I don't think he is. Keep in mind that's DIFFERENT from being the best QB in the draft, which in itself still has an insane amount of value by default, but he's not on a level of Manning or Luck so he doesn't qualify.
So, then, we have nothing to be that disappointed about if he doesn't fall to us, then, yes? If there's no clear difference in quality of potential blue-chip players? I may feel differently IF a Luck or Manning WAS there and we missed out. But even then, we've seen time and again players drafted later can be elite, impact players.
The magical thresh hold probably isn't even 8th, it's probably more like #5 but you could argue #3. But AD, as elite of a prospect as he was, had significant injury concerns having broken his collar bone TWICE at OU and had another significant injury in college. A lot of people thought his style would break him and I'd say the league under valued the RB position in general.
That's where the disconnect rests. I don't really think there's a threshold, or as much as one as you believe there to be. It sounds like you think that, in any given draft, that there are only 1-3 (or 5) really, really impact, once-in-a-generation, elite blue chip players in each draft, they are ranked properly and will have careers that reflect their draft position. Maybe that's not what you mean.
There is a thresh hold though because truly elite prospects are so dominating with so much potential, that unless they have some kind of injury or character concern there is just no possible way they make it that long. For example, You can pick Calvin Johnson or Ted Ginn Jr. Pretty simple, you take Calvin Johnson, much bigger physically, much more impressive stats, etc etc. Next one, you can take Calvin Johnson or Jamarcus Russel. Again it's pretty simple, take Calvin Johnson, however ONE Team got so caught up in thinking they could fix their QB position, a more important position, that they flubbed it up.
Would other teams have flubbed it up too? If memory serves, Russel was pretty highly rated and was the consensus #1 overall pick. Consider former Baltimore head coach Brian Billick:
“We did a pretty decent job, and obviously they continue to do a phenomenal job in Baltimore, with Ozzie Newsome and his group,” Billick said. “JaMarcus Russell was the highest-rated player I’ve ever seen on any of our boards. So we all missed on JaMarcus Russell. Make no mistake.”
He said Russel was the highest grade Baltimore ever had on any player heading into the draft. I think a LOT of teams picking that year would've flubbed it up.
The problem with elite prospects falling to #8 is that you need not just one oakland raider type pick, you would need 7 teams to do it. Unless of course their's an even better player, like Calvin Johnson. Hard to say the Lions messed up on adrian peterson when they got megatron. No matter what though, the Atlanta Falcons picking #8 had no shot at Peterson and that's the point, they didn't even have a chance at him.
There's always a chance if you are willing to surrender draft picks to climb up. But also remember that you could be trading up for Calvin Johnson or Troy Williamson. Andrew Luck or Jamarcus Russel. You never, ever know.

My point is, I don't care where they pick as long as they pick the right guys.
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

He said Russel was the highest grade Baltimore ever had on any player heading into the draft. I think a LOT of teams picking that year would've flubbed it up.
But life is such a complex entity that saying 'all other things equal....' is really a pretty impossible task. Russel along a different path with different coaches, environment, mindset could be an entirely different NFL qb than he turned out to be. Look at many of the late blooming QB's and think how different things may have been had things gone a bit differently off the field in thier first few years. Every QB learns lessons along the way to make them a better player and I think some manage to have opportunities to learn them earlier than others-- simply by the way life works out for them. Perhaps in Baltimore, Russel would have turned them to a dominant SB franchise. Saying they did or didn't flub the pick based on his experience in Oakland is an educated guess, but a guess nonetheless as the science behind such 'what if's is really just extremely complex.
Craig S
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Hey poet there's a million lines to quote and edit out there so I'm just making a new response hehe.

I think some things are being lost in translation so I'll try to do a better job of explaining what I'm trying to say.

I'm trying to take hindsight and "looking back on guys" and how they do based on draft position completely out of the equation. What I'm trying to focus on is a guys overall rating or score or hype whatever you want to call it as PROSPECTS, not NFL players. So before they ever take a snap.

So further more, I completely agree with basically every thing you're saying and there are countless cases of a player being drafted later out performing someone drafted early. However, for whatever reason, scouts of NFL teams found Eli to more likely to succeed than Ben and so what I'm trying to say is if you REALLY WANTED ELI, you needed to have the #1 pick. Now as we know, you could have got Ben a bit later on and been just as happy, but before the draft, before the picks are made and before they ever even play, how would you have known that?

All I'm trying to say is that if you want one of those elite, talented, skilled, over hyped, projected high, perhaps once in a generation kind of player based on PRE-DRAFT scouting, you better be picking high. I'm just trying to say that those kinds of guys get taken early whether they end up being hall of famers or busts.

Finally, I'm not saying we need a top pick to get a good player. Some times it's even better to be slightly back and let the other teams land on the mines for us. A guy like Clowney may be the next Jared Allen or he might be a bust, maybe some DE in the 4th round is the best player in the draft. But if you really wanted Clowney, if you were sold on him, and he lived up to the pre-draft hype / evaluation / whatever you want to call it, you would need a top pick to get him.

You can get an ELITE PLAYER at any point in the draft with some good scouting and perhaps luck. You can only get an ELITE PROSPECT (uber talented, skilled, physical specimen, no baggage with character or injury, over hyped, etc etc etc) picking early.

I hope that clears it up a little, I'm honestly not even trying to make an argument, I thought I just made a simple statement but I think the way I said it gave people issues.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Hey poet there's a million lines to quote and edit out there so I'm just making a new response hehe.

I think some things are being lost in translation so I'll try to do a better job of explaining what I'm trying to say.

I'm trying to take hindsight and "looking back on guys" and how they do based on draft position completely out of the equation. What I'm trying to focus on is a guys overall rating or score or hype whatever you want to call it as PROSPECTS, not NFL players. So before they ever take a snap.

So further more, I completely agree with basically every thing you're saying and there are countless cases of a player being drafted later out performing someone drafted early. However, for whatever reason, scouts of NFL teams found Eli to more likely to succeed than Ben and so what I'm trying to say is if you REALLY WANTED ELI, you needed to have the #1 pick. Now as we know, you could have got Ben a bit later on and been just as happy, but before the draft, before the picks are made and before they ever even play, how would you have known that?

All I'm trying to say is that if you want one of those elite, talented, skilled, over hyped, projected high, perhaps once in a generation kind of player based on PRE-DRAFT scouting, you better be picking high. I'm just trying to say that those kinds of guys get taken early whether they end up being hall of famers or busts.

Finally, I'm not saying we need a top pick to get a good player. Some times it's even better to be slightly back and let the other teams land on the mines for us. A guy like Clowney may be the next Jared Allen or he might be a bust, maybe some DE in the 4th round is the best player in the draft. But if you really wanted Clowney, if you were sold on him, and he lived up to the pre-draft hype / evaluation / whatever you want to call it, you would need a top pick to get him.

You can get an ELITE PLAYER at any point in the draft with some good scouting and perhaps luck. You can only get an ELITE PROSPECT (uber talented, skilled, physical specimen, no baggage with character or injury, over hyped, etc etc etc) picking early.

I hope that clears it up a little, I'm honestly not even trying to make an argument, I thought I just made a simple statement but I think the way I said it gave people issues.
It was a little confusing but I think you've clarified it well with that post. :)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mondry wrote: I'm trying to take hindsight and "looking back on guys" and how they do based on draft position completely out of the equation. What I'm trying to focus on is a guys overall rating or score or hype whatever you want to call it as PROSPECTS, not NFL players. So before they ever take a snap.
Ah. Okay. :o I suppose I have a hard time doing that, because I want the best player over the course of his career as opposed to the best prospect.
Probably, but that's not always the case. We saw that with Shariff Floyd. Some were saying he should go #1 overall and he dropped to us with no injury or character concerns. Same with Harvin, AD, Moss, etc. (yes, these guys came with injury or character question marks, but the same could be said for Clowney). A guy like Clowney could easily drop to us at #8 after the year he's had and depending on how he performs at the combine and (perhaps just as importantly) during interviews.
I think I'm getting where you're coming from, Mondry. It's hard to look at it from a purely prospective point of view when, as I mentioned earlier, I just want the guy that ends up being a stud, not just ranked as one.