Breaking Point ..

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Breaking Point ..

Post by Eli »

thatguy wrote:For all the times that we can/have made fun of Lions fans, not once could you question their loyalty. Step away from the ledge dude...it's just one ugly season - literally EVERY team in the history of the NFL has gone through stretches like this. Just remember, sports work in cycles.
Absolutely. But trust me, there was plenty of ranting done by Lions fans during the Millen years. Vikings fans aren't going anywhere. They'll be back, just like the team will.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Musgrave and Williams need to be fired immediately, and Ponder needs to be put on season ending IR. Just invent another injury, I don't care. Sign any bum off the street to replace him at 3rd string. There needs to be an immediate sign from Wilf that what's going on with his franchise is unacceptable. When your team is being mentioned as possibly the worst in franchise history, things are wrong, terribly wrong.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

tmscr wrote:Ponder was bad today, but the team was still very much in the game up until that disastrous 4th quarter, and Ponder hadn't done horribly up to that point. You can look at it as a good sign that they actually yanked him from the game. Yes it may have come after his second pick, but I've seen them leave him in there many times in that situation.
I guess I saw the game differently.

To me, Christian Ponder looked scared the entire game. This is what kills me about the guy. Three years in the league and he still looks like a frightened rookie. The second half, after having a decent first half statistically and some room to build on the TD to Wright, Ponder simply went into a shell. Instead of growing in confidence after a success, he shrank like George Costanza's wiener after a dip in the pool. The interceptions were simply a logical end to what was obviously already happening.

The coaching staff seems to have this "maybe NOW he'll get it" attitude. They don't seem to notice that he's playing afraid, telegraphing his passes, and failing to pull the trigger on open receivers. They don't see it because they don't want to see it.

They all need to be gone. Now, after the season, doesn't really matter. Ponder, Frazier and the entire staff. Gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I guess I saw the game differently.

To me, Christian Ponder looked scared the entire game. This is what kills me about the guy. Three years in the league and he still looks like a frightened rookie. The second half, after having a decent first half statistically and some room to build on the TD to Wright, Ponder simply went into a shell. Instead of growing in confidence after a success, he shrank like George Costanza's wiener after a dip in the pool. The interceptions were simply a logical end to what was obviously already happening.

The coaching staff seems to have this "maybe NOW he'll get it" attitude. They don't seem to notice that he's playing afraid, telegraphing his passes, and failing to pull the trigger on open receivers. They don't see it because they don't want to see it.

They all need to be gone. Now, after the season, doesn't really matter. Ponder, Frazier and the entire staff. Gone.

Could not agree more!

Ponder has just more often than not during his time the NFL looked like he'd just rather be somewhere else. He's just way too skittish in the pocket. You can NOT succeed at this level at that position if you're not absolutely fearless in the pocket. You have to be able to ignore all the giant snorting men trying to crush you and keep your focus downfield. Ponder can NOT do that, and never will be able to.

Watching Peyton last night just points to how far away Ponder is. He just can feel the pressure and move just enough to buy time. Always keeping his focus downfield. He can also get rid of the ball so quickly when he has to. And even his rushed throws are nearly always on target. Going against the best pass rush in football, he had over 300 yards.

Ponder has ZERO pocket awareness! He knows when the rush is getting close because that's where his focus is instead of on his receivers. When he has to throw in a hurry, his passes are often spectacularly off target.

He's just NOT NFL caliber. We all know it and have known it for a while. Frazier has to know it too and has had some other agenda or maybe has had one forced on him to keep Ponder in there. But enough has to FINALLY be enough.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I guess I saw the game differently.

I do agree, I was simply pointing out that the Vikings were still in the game in the 4th quarter. I don't think he was 100% healthy and he did take a few big hits which probably contributed to the skittishness. He is certainly not going to ever be "the guy", and I'm glad the staff pulled him, because they honestly haven't really done that enough in his career.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

jackal wrote: Cassel has proven that he is clearly the best option IMO to win games
Really? What in the world has he done to prove that?
The reality is, we probably don't have an option that can win games. Freeman should be starting just in case he figures it out again, but putting out Ponder or Cassel at this point is crazy unless something is seriously wrong with Freeman.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I agree. There isn't a starting QB on the team. I guess start Freeman at this point. But as Tom Powers said about Freeman...

So we'll go through the whole "who is the quarterback?'' mystery again this week. For Game 11. I'm putting my money on Josh Freeman, meaning fans in the upper deck at Green Bay may get an errant pass or two for a souvenir.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

thatguy wrote: For all the times that we can/have made fun of Lions fans, not once could you question their loyalty. Step away from the ledge dude...it's just one ugly season - literally EVERY team in the history of the NFL has gone through stretches like this. Just remember, sports work in cycles.
I'd agree with you about the cycle thing if this wasn't the THIRD time in four short seasons that we will have a losing record. This team needs to blown up completely. Otherwise, we are going to be stuck in the basement of the division for a long time.

My loyalty will be unwavering regardless, but I have more than had it with this garbage organization. It is time to take the trash out top to bottom and try again.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

S197 wrote:I don't blame Ponder or even Frazier anymore. They are what they are, which is overtly inadequate at their respective jobs. If someone hired me as a rocket scientist I would be pretty bad at it but if they kept paying me I'd keep going back every day trying to make it work as best I can. This is the way I feel about Ponder and the coaching staff, they're in way over their heads but they continue to keep their jobs so what else is there to do but keep going out there. At this point, it's time for Wilf or Spielman to step in, be the boss, and start letting people go. It's unfair to the team and the fanbase to continually put out the same tired dysfunctional gameplan week after week expecting some sort of change. It doesn't matter if Cassel/Freeman and Stewart/Priefer are not the ideal options, you need to start holding people accountable and showing the rest of the organization that lack of performance will not be tolerated. It's time. It has been for weeks but now it should be crystal clear.

Unfortunately what we'll likely see is Frazier remaining here until the end of the season and a continued vacillation in who should be quarterback. I said it many times before but failure of this magnitude starts with upper management. I'm very surprised that as a successful businessman Wilf cannot see this. The house cleaning will come at the end of the season, no doubt, but I really don't see why it has to wait that long, there's very little to lose at this point by firing and benching people.

Well put, however, I want this lesson to sink in real good for those who still see Ponder/Frazier as a viable solution. Or think that this system just needs some different players or just needs to be "tweaked" Leslie Frazier is well liked and I want him to have his total opportunity to completely fail. We need to reach the proverbial bottom. If we fire people now and somehow win a few games, some might think that those left over deserve a shot to continue, that's how Frazier is still here. No sense in rocking the sinking ship, let her sink. We can start building a new ship next year. With new architects, builders and captains and crew.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

this isn't rocket science. why are the other 3 teams in our division way better than us? qb end of story and until we get one we will remain in the basement.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

our future QB lies in the draft.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Valhalla wrote:No doubt, Pittsburgh must be playing better than when we played them but not that much, they beat the Lions yesterday.

We just aren't playing smart football. That's a big part of it.

Bears won with their backup yesterday: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... oster-help

Josh McCown is better than what everyone thinks. He could give Cutler a run for his money.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

King James wrote:
Josh McCown is better than what everyone thinks. He could give Cutler a run for his money.
He's done well enough that I reckon Cutler won't be a bear next season.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Orion wrote:our future QB lies in the draft.

Bullseye. Someone finally stated the obvious.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

I'd just like to say one thing. Everyone wants the entire coaching staff gone.... I disagree.

Mike Priefer should keep his job, he's IMO the best STs coach in the NFL