Silent Vikings brass clearly sitting on brilliant plan

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Silent Vikings brass clearly sitting on brilliant plan

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:Then extending the aging Robison while low-balling Griffen is another head scratcher for me. I think Spielman has jumped the shark when it comes to making the "shrewd" deals. Drafting guys and signing guys with severe injury history at positions of huge need like Childs, Bishop, Mauti....not saying there was a slew of other guys that were better picks, I don't know, but I'm referring to the flea market mentality of it all. Freeman is just another example. You get what you pay for.
Good point. By the way, Chris Cook fits into that category as well. he broke his leg in college and missed the remainder of his freshman season. he played his entire sophomore season but missed time the following year with a knee injury. he missed the entire 2008 college season for academic reasons. Sound familiar?
The bigger part of the Winfield move was the impact it had on Fraizer's ability to bring a very young secondary up to speed in a time when expectations were high and his job security is not solid. There is no leader back there. If you are going to cut a guy with that kind of presence at the very least bring in some kind of vet to make it smoother transition. No effort there, whatsoever...
Not only that, but they replaced the MLB so the defense has a new signal-caller this year, playing his position for the first time. Does that represent an additional loss of leadership? I don't know but one of the bigger questions I have this year (and one I never expected to be asking) is how much do they miss Brinkley? Did he do a better job of reading the offense, calling the defense and getting people in position?
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Mothman wrote: Of course, that cuts both ways. You can have the best Cook in the world but if you don't give him good ingredients, there's only so much he can do.
This is true, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. I can take it or leave it with Spielman. I just hope if they do decide to dump him they find something better, because we can do a whole lot worse.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

nightowl wrote:This is true, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. I can take it or leave it with Spielman. I just hope if they do decide to dump him they find something better, because we can do a whole lot worse.
That's true!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

The Breeze wrote:There's a reason why a guy with the skillset and brains of Harvin wants out of this organization.
Brains of Harvin? :lol: Have you heard him talk? Or how about this?

@Percy_Harvin
when everything is goin good sometimes life throw u a curve ball... sorry to half to report that my injury will require surgery...
He is a heck of a football player, but I'm sorry to half to report that he isn't that smart.

I think leaving had more to do with him being a pouty baby than his "intelligence." :D
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

nightowl wrote:
Your Welcome.

It's just something that's been bugging me about this argument. We don't know if it's bad talent plus bad coaching or just bad coaching. I personally think the coaching/leadership is so bad that I don't know if we can accurately judge the talent..beyond Ponder.
You can buy the best groceries in the world, but if your cook's capabilities end at nuking a Can of Spaghetti O's or a PB&J sandwich what can you expect.
Nice analogy and I think that's the crux of the situation. We really have no way of knowing if it's talent, coaching, or ownership that's the main problem here. Or a combination, which makes the most sense. All we really can say is there is a definite problem. There's a lot of differing opinions on this board, which IMO makes this place so great, but in the end we're really all striving to figure out what's best to make this into a championship team (even though we have no influence at all!).

On a side note, I had no idea there was a Melbourne in Florida. You learn something new every day. :wink:
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

MelanieMFunk wrote: Brains of Harvin? :lol: Have you heard him talk? Or how about this?

@Percy_Harvin He is a heck of a football player, but I'm sorry to half to report that he isn't that smart.

I think leaving had more to do with him being a pouty baby than his "intelligence." :D
hahaha so true. I mean if bottom line he thinks (in cave man voice) (Me WR, QB BAD, ME LEAVE) then it didn't exactly take a lot of brain power lol.

And I'm surprised people defend him so much when ONCE AGAIN he's missed half the year due to injury. Great talent or not, I'm sorry, if you only play half your games each year you're probably not worth it!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: Nice analogy and I think that's the crux of the situation. We really have no way of knowing if it's talent, coaching, or ownership that's the main problem here. Or a combination, which makes the most sense. All we really can say is there is a definite problem. There's a lot of differing opinions on this board, which IMO makes this place so great, but in the end we're really all striving to figure out what's best to make this into a championship team (even though we have no influence at all!).

On a side note, I had no idea there was a Melbourne in Florida. You learn something new every day. :wink:
I'm not sure it is as much of a talent evaluation issue as it is a "coaching to improve" issue. All of the CBs we have drafted recently, going back to Asher Allen, showed promise in their rookie seasons. Then they never improved at all, and most regressed big time. See Josh Robinson. How embarassing for him.
Idk, I just think the Vikings haven't had a good defensive coach in decades.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I'm not sure it is as much of a talent evaluation issue as it is a "coaching to improve" issue. All of the CBs we have drafted recently, going back to Asher Allen, showed promise in their rookie seasons. Then they never improved at all, and most regressed big time. See Josh Robinson. How embarassing for him.
Idk, I just think the Vikings haven't had a good defensive coach in decades.
Yeah, that's because they come in with natural coverage abilities due to the position from college and they have to coach that out of um and replace it with the sit back and then tackle scheme we use. It takes about a year to break down their good habits and replace them.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

MelanieMFunk wrote: Brains of Harvin? :lol: Have you heard him talk? Or how about this?

@Percy_Harvin He is a heck of a football player, but I'm sorry to half to report that he isn't that smart.

I mean football brains! Can't we all agree that you don't have to be a genius to figure out football?

Harvin clearly could see where this franchise was headed due to how they were managing the most important position on the field. And the whispers in is ears from Moss about the perils of spending an entire career with football thowers vs an actual QB....probably helped to pave that neural pathway.

Peterson called him the best player he's ever played with. When a guy who gets praised that way wants nothing to do with your organization it should point out an issue with the brains in charge of things.

I have no issue with Favre and Moss calling BS on Childress.....nor with Harvin calling BS on Fraizer and his lack of assertiveness when it comes to handling the QB position. It is completely clear now that Fraizer and company were wrong on just about everything.

'Smart' football players who have more interest than picking up a check...ie: they want to win, for whatever reason, and it's reflected in their actual play on the field vs anything that comes out of their mouths, do not want to put their bodies on the line for the crap we have grown accustomed to over the past 8weeks. And they smell that crap before anyone.

Does Ponder's rib injury, and Freeman's concussion symptoms sound like BS? Makes me wonder about last season's ankle issue. Let's all tolerate BS because we don't like the tone of the messenger.... Moss\Harvin. Or Birk, for that matter, who simply walked away...another stupid guy.

Just because Harvin can come across as a petulant diva doesn't make him wrong. And just because Fraizer comes across as a sober judge doesn't mean he should have a job.

Seattle has done just fine without Harvin and I'll wager that they are fairly excited to plug his dumba$$ into their offense for the second half of the season. I'm sure Josh Robinson will be figuring on that game against Seattle to be a geat opportunity to pad his incredible stats.

Sure, I'm just looking in from the outside as a fan with no understanding as I watch CP84 catching passes 2yds behind the LOS on 3rd and 10, needing to slam his body through 3 defenders just to come up a yard or 2 short of a 1st down, wondering how long will it take him to grow weary of it....2yrs? 3?....but I will just give my ignoant take and say Harvin was smart to force the issue here and is now in a mch better football situation.

And when you can say that about someone who is as dumb as he is,evidently, what does it say about the rest of em?

Sorry for the rant.....you know fanaticism spilt milk and such.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:I mean football brains! Can't we all agree that you don't have to be a genius to figure out football?

Harvin clearly could see where this franchise was headed due to how they were managing the most important position on the field. And the whispers in is ears from Moss about the perils of spending an entire career with football thowers vs an actual QB....probably helped to pave that neural pathway.

Peterson called him the best player he's ever played with. When a guy who gets praised that way wants nothing to do with your organization it should point out an issue with the brains in charge of things.

I have no issue with Favre and Moss calling BS on Childress.....nor with Harvin calling BS on Fraizer and his lack of assertiveness when it comes to handling the QB position.
Did he ever actually do that? Hasn't that been a rumor/assumption all along? Maybe he said something specific and I just missed it. I know there was speculation about the nature of Harvin's dispute with Frazier and the team but I didn't think we ever heard anything specific from either party.
Just because Harvin can come across as a petulant diva doesn't make him wrong.
That's true but just because he managed to get out before the team took a nose dive doesn't mean he had any real insight. He may just be a petulant diva who got lucky. Let's not forget, he had no control over where he ended up. He wanted out but he could have been traded to Tampa Bay or Jacksonville instead of Seattle if one of those teams had made the Vikes a better offer. He wouldn't look too smart then, would he? ;)
Sorry for the rant.....you know fanaticism spilt milk and such.
I understand! :)
Last edited by Mothman on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

The Breeze wrote: I mean football brains! Can't we all agree that you don't have to be a genius to figure out football?
I think my previous post made that fairly obvious. 8)
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

MelanieMFunk wrote: I think my previous post made that fairly obvious. 8)

Exactly. Heck, Jim understands football for Pete's sake.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The Breeze wrote:I mean football brains! Can't we all agree that you don't have to be a genius to figure out football?
We can.

There are "smart" receivers, guys who know defenses, who find openings, who know how plays develop, when to block, when to be a decoy. The utility of those guys usually far exceeds their physical abilities.

And there are guys who are highly skilled who just go out and play and do well on sheer ability. I certainly wouldn't call Harvin a smart player. He's very talented, but he's never demonstrated anything that could be called football smarts. The smart receivers in this league do pretty well with the most mediocre of QBs. Look at Larry Fitzgerald. Harvin, meanwhile, pouts and slams doors when his QB misses throws or the OC doesn't call his number.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Exactly. Heck, Jim understands football for Pete's sake.
:rofl:
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Eli wrote: We can.

There are "smart" receivers, guys who know defenses, who find openings, who know how plays develop, when to block, when to be a decoy. The utility of those guys usually far exceeds their physical abilities.

And there are guys who are highly skilled who just go out and play and do well on sheer ability. I certainly wouldn't call Harvin a smart player. He's very talented, but he's never demonstrated anything that could be called football smarts. The smart receivers in this league do pretty well with the most mediocre of QBs. Look at Larry Fitzgerald. Harvin, meanwhile, pouts and slams doors when his QB misses throws or the OC doesn't call his number.
Rant warning!

I would have to say that knowing how to use your natural abilities to the point where you are being talked about as a possible MVP canidate says that you have some football smarts.... period. There are a plethora of fast strong guys in the NFL but it takes a bit of mental acumen to understand how to maximize angles when running and tackling. Harvin is naturally smart in that way....whether or not he is coachable as a receiver is another question entirely. One best answered by another staff, perhaps, because this one lacks any credibilty in my book.

Comparing Harvin to Fitzgerald is hardly an indictment of Harvin's brain power.

I did not say that Harvin was a smart receiver...I said he was a smart football player. When the ball is in his hands he knows exactly how to use his abilities to the point that this team used him in every capacity they possibly could and quite possibly past the point where it was physically healthy for him. The same can be said for they way they've used AD. Another guy I wouldn't exactly label a real smart person but a smart football player... regardless of what he lacks as far as fully playing his position.

But maybe it would be more fair to say he has great instincts rather than smarts.... it wasn't the point I was trying to make in the first place, which was the terrible instincts on display by this organization and the decades of pure suck at the QB position... the now decade long situation at O-line and the newest negligence at LB.

Were Eli and Elway whiny babies when they refused to even report to the respective teams that drafted them...or were they just using their good instincts and they expressed it differently? They didn't want to play for the Colts and Chargers because the teams were run like crap.

If I was a top 3 QB in college right now selected by the Vikings and Spielman and Fraizer were still running the show I'd pray that I'd have the support of an Archie Manning or the elder Elway-type saying, "Don't sign son".

This franchise hasn't don't much at all beyond average in the past 20 years save for 3 seasons. The first of which required the greatest rookie season ever by a wideout who literally changed the way secondaries defended. The 2nd required a miracle season from the leagues all time staistical leader in just about every category at QB. And the 3rd required one of the greatest seasons ever at the RB position....although a 10-6 one and done finish isn't really much in the larger scheme of things.

I don't exactly recall, at this, point how I wound up in the position of defending Percy Harvin's smarts, but it's blatantly obvious to me that, for whatever reason, he was very unhappy with this organization to the point where he wanted out. I can think of no one who is happy with this organization in any capacity.....and the problem is/was not Percy Harvin! He was the barometer for the actual situation, whatever it is. He was by no means the first (he expressed it differently)...and if nothing changes systemically, he won't be the last.
Good luck signing Everson Griffin....or any FA who wants to win more than wanting money.....guys with heart.

And to Jim's point about where Harvin could have ended up:

it's a valid point and evidently it was worth the risk to him. He could have wound up in New England too. He got fed up with something.

One of the side effects of denying ones heart for the sake of a low risk conservative modus operandi is the joy of mediocrity wrapped in the unflapable acceptance of small failures at critical moments.
Spielman is taking ridiculous poorly thought out risks: cutting Winfield without consulting anyone, even Winfield himself. Reaching for Ponder and just handing him the job. Trusting a backup QB (webb) who doesn't grok the offense Signing a busted QB in mid-freefall, midseason, with full knowledge that the guy needs meds for his neuro-chemistry in order to keep focus.

Meanwhile, Fraizer repeating his mantra of patient catatonic conservation.

I feel more like Harvin with each week.

I know it's not easy to have a winner, I really do...I just am amazed at how deftly they demonstrate it.

((sigh))