Fix the offense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Fix the offense

Post by dead_poet »

mondry wrote:It's been brought to my attention that other teams use power running schemes so I decided to see what they do. One of the big changes I make to our power running formations is I bring a 6th offensive lineman in to replace John Carlson. This is pretty simple, Carlson isn't much of a threat in the passing game anyway, so I'd rather have an actual beef cake in there.

What's nice about this is it seems really obvious to run towards the side with the extra lineman and just over power the defense, but this also allows you to do crazy cut backs which AD is just ridiculous at if you can get everyone moving towards that stacked side and actually cut back or run the other way. With loadholt being what he is, we'd put the extra lineman over there which should cause a lot of concern with so much weight to deal with and I think kalil would be better to seal the cut back lanes as he's more athletic.

Next I install the Read Option gimick because I think the best way to win with these joke QB's might just be Ponder's legs. We're also going to boot leg a lot, so if we play action run towards loadholts stacked side, Ponder boot leg's out there with a 50/50 towards Kalil's side. Either throw it to Rudolph or just run, let's keep it really simple so he can't screw it up too badly.

After that we install a 4 WR set and just send everyone down the field on go routes except one WR. The WR that goes short will change up all the time so they never know who's going to suddenly break off their route but Ponder does and that way he only has to focus on one WR per play. Because the 4 WR set will require so many corners and safeties to cover the passing game we can then let their DE's rush up the field on purpose and contain the DT's to create running lanes for Ponder. This same principle also works for getting Peterson and Gerhart into the screen game, drag the DB's down the field, invite the pass rush up, throw a screen behind it. Easy.

Ponder and AD become the next combo to both rush for 1000+ yards and the FIRST combo to get 1k+ and 10 TD's each.
Why Ponder and not Webb?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Why Ponder and not Webb?
Nothing to do with your question but after I take over the franchise, I'm going to fire Wobby and hire you.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: Nothing to do with your question but after I take over the franchise, I'm going to fire Wobby and hire you.
Sweet! I can ask just as dumb/homer-y questions! But I'm afraid I couldn't be as positive as would likely be required for the position. I'd be much more like angry Sid.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: Sweet! I can ask just as dumb/homer-y questions! But I'm afraid I couldn't be as positive as would likely be required for the position. I'd be much more like angry Sid.
No, that's why he's fired! You can be as angry, jaded, or satirical as you want. Just not against me. I MADE YOU AND I CAN BREAK YOU.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:No, that's why he's fired! You can be as angry, jaded, or satirical as you want. Just not against me. I MADE YOU AND I CAN BREAK YOU.
Oh, right, you're GM. You can control things. I thought I'd have to be as upbeat and bald. I preemptively ask for a raise of between 19 and 40,000 monies.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote:
Why Ponder and not Webb?
Its the QB position.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: Oh, right, you're GM. You can control things. I thought I'd have to be as upbeat and bald. I preemptively ask for a raise of between 19 and 40,000 monies.
Viking fans do you see what I have to deal with? I hire a guy not thirty minutes ago and he's already asking me for a raise. Souhan better be coming up with a "woe is me" article soon, this is a hostile work environment.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Easy.

Start Freeman the rest of the way - what does it matter anyway?

I am benching Charile Johnson and I am starting Jeff Baca.

I am cutting Brandon Fusco and I am promoting Travis Bond and I am either resigning DeMarcus Love to compete at RG or I am playing Joe Berger there for the rest of the season.

John Carlson is getting benched. Chase Ford and Rhett Ellison will take his spot the rest of the way.

Cordarelle Patterson is my new Split End receiver in two WR sets and will move to the slot when we run 3 wide or more. He is never coming off the field unless he is fatigued

Adrian Peterson NEVER comes off the field unless he is fatigued.

Finally, I head upstairs to my office and drink Jack Daniels while listening to Carless Whisper whilst I cry myself to sleep.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mondry wrote: Its the QB position.
For the read option? Meh. I'd prefer Webb. More athletic ability and just as unlikely to hit an open receiver.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote: For the read option? Meh. I'd prefer Webb. More athletic ability and just as unlikely to hit an open receiver.
Sorry I don't buy it. Ponder's a 60% career passer, Webbs a WR lol. And for the 4 WR set no one is going to respect webb going down the field where Ponder has at least completed a number of passes to Jarius Wright (last year) and Simpson this year. Sure Webbs the better athlete by a fraction but we've all seen when teams only have to be concerned about the running threat they can shut the read option down pretty easy.

The playoff game last year is what you'll get every week playing webb. :(
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mondry wrote:Sorry I don't buy it. Ponder's a 60% career passer, Webbs a WR lol. And for the 4 WR set no one is going to respect webb going down the field where Ponder has at least completed a number of passes to Jarius Wright (last year) and Simpson this year. Sure Webbs the better athlete by a fraction but we've all seen when teams only have to be concerned about the running threat they can shut the read option down pretty easy.

The playoff game last year is what you'll get every week playing webb. :(
If you're talking about running primarily read option, I still choose Webb. If you look at the opening drive where Musgrave actually used the read-option in the playoff game, Webb marched down the field and looked pretty good. It still boggles my mind why Musgrave decided to stop something that was working (and resist going back after realizing Webb in a conventional sense in that game wasn't working). But if you're talking just sprinkling it in there, I suppose you'd probably use Ponder. But I think it's precious that you think people would "respect" Ponder's down field accuracy. I'd also consider Joe Webb to be a better athlete by a pretty substantial margin.

Edit: Ponder holds a 59.3 completion percentage. Webb is 57.9%. I think Webb's legs are bigger advantage than Ponder's arm.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

First of all, I would put freeman in to the end of the season. Sink or swim, it's time for dramatic changes and he's the only one capable of a dramatic improvement (although unlikely)
No more Carlson sets. What's helping opposing defences fill the box for AD? The fact that the majority of our players are in the same area. Plus, it would take some heat off of the O-line, which let's face it they haven't had the best season, but it can't be easy getting smashed all the time. Spread the opposing defence out, bring playmakers like Patterson, Jennings and Wright into the game more.
Run AD to the outside more. Up the gut isn't working running it every time.
Give musgrave a Chelsea grin with his play card.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

If I were the head coach, I'd start Cassel for the rest of the year. Guy isn't great, but he gives them the best chance to win.

I'd also get Patterson on the field as much as possible. Have to find a way to get playmakers on the field and create mismatches.

Apart from those things, the offense is going to struggle without better and more consistent QB play.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

VikingLord wrote:If I were the head coach, I'd start Cassel for the rest of the year. Guy isn't great, but he gives them the best chance to win.
Would you also tell the GM to go take a flying leap, or do you feel that he'll get the message when you refuse to start the QB that he just signed for $2M? If Frazier intends to stick around after this ugly season, he's not going to do it by insulting the GM.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I start Cassel immediately. He's shown the most poise and accuracy of the three. Everyone from the announcers, fans, and beat writers can see Ponder is missing open receivers, truly baffling that the current coaching staff continues to put him out there. Freeman doesn't start until he can prove that he can hit the broad side of a barn with consistency. If I'm coaching, I'm looking to the draft for my next starter so I really don't mind playing Cassel and benching Freeman at this point (sorry Rick).

Rather than building my offense around goalline formations, I realize that the hash mark lines are not actually invisible barriers and that indeed you can put receivers outside them! My primary sets would be three wide and I-formation. In 3 wide, I'd play Jennings and Simpson/Patterson on the outside with Wright in the slot. Rudolph is at TE and of course AD is your back. In the I-formation, Felton comes in for Wright. You're obviously not going to run only two formations in the NFL but consider these the base. It puts the majority of your talent on the field. Peterson has said he doesn't like running behind a fullback, but Felton is too good, so you mix it up between the 3-set and I-formation. Carlson is relegated to backup duty. He doesn't see the field unless Rudolph goes down.

Next, I give Berger a shot at guard. He's shown enough utility and I've seen enough of Fusco that I want him gone. Wish I could do something about Loadholt but the lummox has to stay for the remainder of the year (don't worry I have something in mind).

Then I take Musgrave and put him on the same bus out of town as Singletary. I take my receivers and show them those big orange sticks that they hold up during the game. On third down, your out routes, hitches, and curls are ran to or PAST those orange sticks, not three to four yards in front of them. Next I work on screen and shovel passes to hurt defenses who sell out with blitzes to stop Peterson or frazzle my QB. Loadholt is excellent at pretending to block someone but then not doing anything so he finally fits perfectly in the feign block of a screen play.

Now that I have Cassel in the backfield and not Panic Ponder, I put in some checks to run slant routes. You want to blitz the A-gap to stop Peterson? That's fine, we'll run a slant right behind it with Wright or Patterson. I also install the hitch and go route. I teach my QB's that yes, a pump fake is legal, and use it to our advantage and stretch the field vertically.

Lastly, 50 pushups for every time Simpson does his stupid first down celebration.
Great post. It was just the kind of response I wanted to see when I started the thread. Thanks!