Would you rather see?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Would you rather see?

Post by IrishViking »

In the Draft would you rather see the Vikings go after a solid QB option or maybe three other players that could contribute right away. Say a LB a CB and a SS. Or something in that vein. Personally I want a QB. That could change based on whether or not Freeman "settles down" and fixes the accuracy thing and becomes a decent QB. But at this point I think we need a QB, not a project QB but one that has a higher ceiling than Ponder or Cassel or, apparently Freeman consistently.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Would you rather see?

Post by Eli »

In the "Vikings go after" department, that's not an either/or situation unless you trade away draft picks to get that QB. The Vikings have a lot of immediate personnel needs, so that is not an option.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Absolutely need a QB that can come in here and help this team compete. Aside from an inconsistent offensive line (which I think is one guard away from being good to go), the offense is ready to go, and I think that it can put up some points. The defense is going to be a work-in-progress over the next couple of seasons (that's not to say we can't win with them sooner than later), and if we can secure a QB that can come in and move the ball without turning it over, the defensive woes are minimized greatly.

Just look at the Denver Broncos. They have an offense that moves the ball and scores on you relentlessly and as a result, their purely average defense has a lot of heat taken off of them. It's true that defense wins championships (I mean, look at last year's AFCC game), but a good offense that can keep an opponent's defense on the field will win you some games for sure.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

Completely depends if Freeman can play at a high level. Personally, it appears that is unlikely, given the deck that is stacked against him with the present issues on the team.

But, if he doesn't play at least at the level of, say, Culpepper (maybe not his MVP-worthy season, but rather his 2000 level of play, which was pretty damn good) then you have to draft a quarterback if the one you want is available. However, with the amount of holes that needs to be addressed, you can take a world-class corner, linebacker or defensive lineman with the draft pick we probably have.
"Meet at the quarterback"
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Depends. Do you see an Andrew Luck in the draft? If so, you jump all over the guy and don't look back.

I firmly believe with a new staff and an above-average QB that our defense would look a heckuva lot better. I am in no way convinced that the vast majority of the players we currently have on defense do not belong in the NFL (which is how they are currently playing). With a new staff of TEACHING and THINKING coaches, I am convinced the defense would improve immensely without large scale changes to personnel.

I know other folks disagree and seem to think some kind of plague has suddenly hit every athlete on this team, or that somehow Spielman managed the rare feat of putting about 40 guys on this roster who cannot play at an NFL level. Poppycock (to put it nicely). We may have a few misses on the personnel side, but our coaching stinks, it is ABYSMAL, and everything else has little chance of succeeding when that is the case.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

psjordan wrote:Depends. Do you see an Andrew Luck in the draft? If so, you jump all over the guy and don't look back.

I firmly believe with a new staff and an above-average QB that our defense would look a heckuva lot better. I am in no way convinced that the vast majority of the players we currently have on defense do not belong in the NFL (which is how they are currently playing). With a new staff of TEACHING and THINKING coaches, I am convinced the defense would improve immensely without large scale changes to personnel.

I know other folks disagree and seem to think some kind of plague has suddenly hit every athlete on this team, or that somehow Spielman managed the rare feat of putting about 40 guys on this roster who cannot play at an NFL level.
Who is saying that?
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Mothman wrote: Who is saying that?
There are a number of posters who are saying get rid of everybody, burn it all down, no one on this defense deserves to be in the NFL, etc.. It's all probably more frustration and venting driving that kind of talk, but it has become a common and very annoying theme.

I happen to agree that it's not so much a dearth of talent, but a lack of quality coaching that is doing more to hold this team back.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

I would draft 2 QBs, Manziel and Aaron Murray, I love Mariota too, but he will be the first pick. If anyone thinks a guy who is as skinny as Chris Rock (Bridgewater) will go top 5 I have some lush vineyards to sell you, they are located on the moon.
This space available for rent.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleHalo wrote:I would draft 2 QBs, Manziel and Aaron Murray, I love Mariota too, but he will be the first pick. If anyone thinks a guy who is as skinny as Chris Rock (Bridgewater) will go top 5 I have some lush vineyards to sell you, they are located on the moon.
FWIW, Bridgewater is listed as two inches taller and four pounds lighter than Manziel. Murray is one inch taller than Manziel and eight pounds heavier.

Manziel: 6'1; 200
Bridgewater: 6'3; 196
Murray: 6'1: 208

They're also young guys that'll put on meat as they go. I wouldn't worry about weight. Even height isn't big of a detriment if they excel in other areas. Let's just say there are a lot of factors to consider, and height/weight, at least for me (provided they aren't 5'6/120) aren't as important as accuracy, vision, pocket awareness, arm strength, confidence, leadership, etc.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleHalo wrote:I would draft 2 QBs, Manziel and Aaron Murray, I love Mariota too, but he will be the first pick. If anyone thinks a guy who is as skinny as Chris Rock (Bridgewater) will go top 5 I have some lush vineyards to sell you, they are located on the moon.
Omg so funny. I don't even think Johnny FB goes in the first round, and I bet Mariota AND Teddy are gone in the first five. Ill take the bet.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

I would like to give this guy a shot. It looks like he'd fit in really well in our offense:
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Omg so funny. I don't even think Johnny FB goes in the first round, and I bet Mariota AND Teddy are gone in the first five. Ill take the bet.
I agree that Mariota and Bridgewater look like Top Five, but with so many teams looking for the next elite QB, Manziel will go in the top 20.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

the last thing the vikings need to do is reach for a QB, again. if the right guy isn't there, take literally anyone else.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Boon wrote: Thats what I don't get. People complain that ponder doesn't see open receivers, runs after his fiirst read and stares receivers down, yet they want to draft a guy that does the SAME EXACT THING? makes no sense
Are you talking about someone in particular?
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote: Not me, I rather go the other route and go with a strong NT, LB, CB or SS, Fix that defense, an offense that can score more than 30 points and a defense that can get of the field will win games.
You can anchor a team with a franchise QB for 10+ years. In this day and age, CBs and SS have the hardest jobs on the field and are as hit-or-miss as they come (as we've seen).
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides