Would you rather see?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Would you rather see?

Post by Demi »

thatguy wrote: You can anchor a team with a franchise QB for 10+ years. In this day and age, CBs and SS have the hardest jobs on the field and are as hit-or-miss as they come (as we've seen).
And there isn't a "franchise" QB in this draft...some are closer than others but closer doesn't get you 10+ years of anchoring...
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Demi wrote:And there isn't a "franchise" QB in this draft...some are closer than others but closer doesn't get you 10+ years of anchoring...
Well, I guess that is just a matter of opinion at this point and how you evaluate QBs. I think that this draft contains at least a couple QBs that can make it happen for a team long-term.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I'd rather see them go after the best players at the spots they have than try to force a pick. If they don't like the guys at the slot they can always try to trade down, but it is a HUGE mistake to force a QB if there are no QB's worth the pick. Under no circumstances can they afford to repeat the Ponder experiment.

If there is no QB worthy of the slot they are at, then the GM has to go out into the FA market and find a stable, proven vet. Follow the strategy laid out by Denny Green. Green was content to bring in FA vets who could run his offense effectively.

QB is the one position where a GM cannot afford to gamble, and Spielman has proven that not once, not twice, but he has the trifecta this year. Time to stop going to the wishing well and find guys who have recent proven production, be it in the draft or when looking for a vet FA.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

thatguy wrote: Well, I guess that is just a matter of opinion at this point and how you evaluate QBs. I think that this draft contains at least a couple QBs that can make it happen for a team long-term.
Matter of opinion? Where's the guy who's a lock #1 pick? The guy who's seperated? The Eli, Luck, Peyton, etc? There isn't one. Even the bust #1s didn't have that kind of push. They separated. These guys didn't. Bridgewater is the closest and he's hardly a lock #1 pick type...
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Demi wrote: Matter of opinion? Where's the guy who's a lock #1 pick? The guy who's seperated? The Eli, Luck, Peyton, etc? There isn't one. Even the bust #1s didn't have that kind of push. They separated. These guys didn't. Bridgewater is the closest and he's hardly a lock #1 pick type...
Yeah, so it ends up being about finding that Joe Flacco then who wasn't the best qb in his draft (matt ryan) but still good enough to take a team to the bowl. Need to find him in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Aaron Murray is the only guy other than Bridgewater that seems like a good gamble moving on the NFL IMO....what do I know. Spielman is paid plenty to make these decisions.

(And even Murray is a midget! :lol: )

Flacco...put Ryan on that team and I think they win a ring just the same. So much randomness to it all. Need to reduce risk rather than try to improve chances.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Yeah, and for what it's worth I think Flacco is barely above average, but sadly when we're rocking what is it? #32 and #34 QB's even that sounds good. It's really sad but someone who can see open wide receivers and maybe go through at least one read to their second progression, with a touch of accuracy would even be an upgrade for this team...
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Omg so funny. I don't even think Johnny FB goes in the first round, and I bet Mariota AND Teddy are gone in the first five. Ill take the bet.
Thats why I grab him later, a just in case pick. Than let someone grab Bridge in the top 2, and snatch Mariota. Time to stop playing games with this position. Also time to can this GM, going into this year he still believed Ponder was the future, which makes him an idiot plain and simple. Get someone with a brain in here, or this team is doomed for a decade.
This space available for rent.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

dead_poet wrote: FWIW, Bridgewater is listed as two inches taller and four pounds lighter than Manziel. Murray is one inch taller than Manziel and eight pounds heavier.

Manziel: 6'1; 200
Bridgewater: 6'3; 196
Murray: 6'1: 208

They're also young guys that'll put on meat as they go. I wouldn't worry about weight. Even height isn't big of a detriment if they excel in other areas. Let's just say there are a lot of factors to consider, and height/weight, at least for me (provided they aren't 5'6/120) aren't as important as accuracy, vision, pocket awareness, arm strength, confidence, leadership, etc.
Bridgwater has a slim frame, and he is 2 inches taller, there is more of a difference here than you realize.

And height isn't a big deal, I love how bad scouting said Brees was too short. I was beside myself wanting the Vikings to select him in 2003, thats what good organizations do, draft one when you have one. If only I ran this team ha.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

[quote]Bridgwater has a slim frame, and he is 2 inches taller, there is more of a difference here than you realize.[quote]

It's easier to add weight to a frame than add weight to a lack of a frame!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleHalo wrote:Bridgwater has a slim frame, and he is 2 inches taller, there is more of a difference here than you realize.
Not in relation to the other two QBs listed there's not. And, as I mentioned previously, he certainly hasn't maxed out his ideal playing weight. For Godsakes, he's only 20 years old. He'll put on (good) weight. It's not a reason to be concerned.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Brees was drafted in 2001, not 2003. And regardless we had Culpepper who they just drafted in the 1st round 2 years prior, just led us to the NFC championship game and was on the cusp of elite. There was no need to draft Brees. It made even less sense considering the Vikings woulda had to take him 27th overall to get him. (Not that Michael Bennett ended up being anything special though.)
Good franchises leave themselves more options at this vital position. The Vikings rarely draft QBs, that is why we are here. And it was obvious when he was at Purdue, his ceiling was massive.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Boon wrote:Mariotta
Curious why you think he doesn't see open receivers and stares people down. To me it looks like he reads the defense well. His accuracy percentage is good and if he did stare down receivers, he wouldn't be sitting on zero interceptions right now.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

IrishViking wrote:In the Draft would you rather see the Vikings go after a solid QB option or maybe three other players that could contribute right away. Say a LB a CB and a SS.
You're obviously not talking about our current batch of play it safe coaches. Their philosophy is to work the young guys in slowly even if they're playing better than the starters. Contribute right away is not an option with this organization. As far as a QB goes, AD only has 3-4 productive years left so we need to draft more than a "game manager" this time. If that guy isn't there when we draft then we need to draft other needs and find a stable veteran stop gap who can sustain us for the rest of AD's career while we continue searching for the answer at QB. I think it's football blasphemy if waste AD's remaining years on another rebuild/QB project.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Reignman wrote:You're obviously not talking about our current batch of play it safe coaches. Their philosophy is to work the young guys in slowly even if they're playing better than the starters. Contribute right away is not an option with this organization. As far as a QB goes, AD only has 3-4 productive years left so we need to draft more than a "game manager" this time. If that guy isn't there when we draft then we need to draft other needs and find a stable veteran stop gap who can sustain us for the rest of AD's career while we continue searching for the answer at QB. I think it's football blasphemy if waste AD's remaining years on another rebuild/QB project.
These coaches have to go too, or they will run the same play not to lose offense. I think Adrian has 2 good years left at best, and tho I think they already have wasted his career, maybe with a fresh regime they can attempt to do what the Bears did at the end of Paytons career. But this bunch isn't creative enough to get it done.