Jared Allen May Be Traded "for the right price"

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Jared Allen May Be Traded "for the right price"

Post by yezzir »

I'd trade Allen for a 3rd rounder.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

If anyone offers a 2nd pull the trigger rick!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

DanAS wrote: I'm not sure Allen is worth re-signing (think about how much we've been paying him) and would welcome the Vikings looking for a trade. But the more important part of your post is the second part. What is happening with the performance of Mr. Robison this year? He has been one of the biggest reasons why this team has collapsed. We need him to step up, not lie down.
No you are right about the cap considerations Dan.

What I am more upset about is the contract we gave Robison. It is not worth what his production and age total. We should have just let both Allen and Robison go instead of resigning Robison. Gives us more money for other upgrades and to re-sign Everson.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: No you are right about the cap considerations Dan.

What I am more upset about is the contract we gave Robison. It is not worth what his production and age total. We should have just let both Allen and Robison go instead of resigning Robison. Gives us more money for other upgrades and to re-sign Everson.
I like re-signing Robison, but I don't like the size of the contract.
Jared Allen and Kevin Williams should be let go, unless they take MASSIVE pay cuts. It would be cool to see Williams retire a Viking, but he deserves to get a chance to be on a contending team. I could see him going to Denver, New England, or New Orleans. I think Allen will end up in Chicago or something.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Glazer tweeting it...aren't him and Allen tight? Wonder if Allen is trying to get something done.

Not sure what team would give more than 3rd (which article points out is likely what his next contract will give us in a compensator pick if we don't sign a big money free agent), and pick up the rest of his massive contract this season when they could just wait and sign him without giving up anything. He's going to have to agree to a new deal with another team before they take him anyway.

Should have moved him two years ago.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Wait... we're taking Bleacher Report seriously? The columnist is an avowed Green Bay fan?

Ok, here's the thing, a trade takes two, and I don't see any contender in dire need of a DE. Why would any team trade for Allen and his contract when they can simply bid for his services after the season?

And please, enough with the AD speculation. Not. Going. To. Happen. It's an exercise in pure fantasy to even speculate upon it.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Wait... we're taking Bleacher Report seriously?
No, we're taking Jay Glazer seriously. Who's pretty connected...and friends with Allen...
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Demi wrote:Glazer tweeting it...aren't him and Allen tight? Wonder if Allen is trying to get something done.

Not sure what team would give more than 3rd (which article points out is likely what his next contract will give us in a compensator pick if we don't sign a big money free agent), and pick up the rest of his massive contract this season when they could just wait and sign him without giving up anything. He's going to have to agree to a new deal with another team before they take him anyway.

Should have moved him two years ago.
That's what I was thinking but I'm not sure how the compensatory pick process work exactly. I see people saying we should trade him for a 7th, which seems ridiculous because they would get a better pick if they just don't resign him in the offense, I thought???

How does it work with us signing or not signing a big money free agent? How big is "big"? Does it have to be equivalent to Allen's contract? Or some %?

Sorry, just confused by the process.....but if they do get a 3rd if (when) he walks, then wouldn't it be silly to trade him for anything other than a 1st or 2nd? What would be the point, since we can get 9 more games from him this year and get a 3rd rounder when he walks??
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Demi wrote: No, we're taking Jay Glazer seriously. Who's pretty connected...and friends with Allen...
Yeah, a tweet by Glazer. But it references the Vikings being willing to deal at the right price. Not anything about any deal in the works, or any interest, or Allen being interested in a trade. To me, being willing to deal at the right price is kind of a "duh" assumption.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

if we can get anything for a guy who won't be here next year, in a year where nothing matters but rebuilding. DO IT!
vikeblood
Backup

Post by vikeblood »

Has anyone watched any games this year? Allen has done nothing in either passing or rushing defense. If you can get ANYTHING for him you do it now. Free up cash, a 7th rounder, or any practice team offensive lineman in the league. Good dude, but his time is over.
Time to win a superbowl for Bud...
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Jared Allen: "I've never played on a defense this bad."

A captain obvious comment but one you generally don't hear a player make. Sounds like he wants out, and frankly, who cares.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:Jared Allen: "I've never played on a defense this bad."

A captain obvious comment but one you generally don't hear a player make. Sounds like he wants out, and frankly, who cares.
did he really say that tonight?

Do we really get a third rounder for him if we don't re-sign him? If that is true, it would be stupid to trade him for less than that. But maybe someone will feel generous.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote: did he really say that tonight?

Do we really get a third rounder for him if we don't re-sign him? If that is true, it would be stupid to trade him for less than that. But maybe someone will feel generous.
Supposedly, if you can lip read.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: did he really say that tonight?

From the tweet (check Zulgad' feed) it sounds like a direct quote from after the game.