Souhan: Frazier doesn't deserve this nasty, brutish year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Just Me
Hall of Famer

Re: Souhan: Frazier doesn't deserve this nasty, brutish year

Post by Just Me »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:When are fans gonna learn that coaches aren't gonna flat out say "so and so sucks" in the media?
They almost never say it. The real question is whether or not they're thinking it. I'm saying I think Frazier is "thinking it"
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:When are fans gonna learn that coaches aren't gonna flat out say "so and so sucks" in the media?
Some coaches are more candid and sincere in their dealing w/ the press than others. Frazier is on the far end of the spectrum--the discrete, coach-speak, dissimulation end of the spectrum. While no coach will say "so and so sucks" some coaches will certainly be more direct.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote: He ran for another TD too. he did do some good things in that game, just not nearly enough. :(
In garbage time. What did he do in the first 3 quarters?
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:In garbage time. What did he do in the first 3 quarters?
Not a whole lot, but the answer Frazier gave was technically correct. They didn't ask him if Ponder performed well early in the game. In any case, I think Frazier had to think of some positives to say. It's not like Frazier rattled of 5 good plays Ponder made. My guess is Freeman starts next game, but TBH I'm not sure I even care anymore. Cassel is the one QB who will not be starting. If it's because Cassel will not be the long term solution, then fine. But lets just say Ponder isn't going to start then. Ponder is not the solution either. Name Freeman the starter and be done with it.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Just the way he's handling the QB is reason enough to fire Frazier IMO.

Sounds like even he doesn't know why he's sitting Cassel.
Certainly a very curious statement. It almost sounds like he's trying to tell people to read between the lines and that it's being forced on him to start Freeman or Ponder. Full disclosure, tinfoil was on sale at Safeway so maybe I stocked up too much.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:Certainly a very curious statement. It almost sounds like he's trying to tell people to read between the lines and that it's being forced on him to start Freeman or Ponder. Full disclosure, tinfoil was on sale at Safeway so maybe I stocked up too much.
LOL! i'm well-stocked with foil too but I think we're clearly intended to read between the lines. :)
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: LOL! i'm well-stocked with foil too but I think we're clearly intended to read between the lines. :)
Yeah if I'm Frazier now I'm trying to do whatever I can to kind of redirect the blame to the proper targets.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:is it Rick that can't decide which QB to start? This is ridiculous.
The decision has been made and the team has been informed. It just hasn't been announced publicly yet but yes, I think Spielman is in Frazier's ear regarding who he wants to see playing at QB. That's why Cassel isn't even a consideration to start.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote: The decision has been made and the team has been informed. It just hasn't been announced publicly yet but yes, I think Spielman is in Frazier's ear regarding who he wants to see playing at QB. That's why Cassel isn't even a consideration to start.
Maybe the owner made his voice heard as well...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: Maybe the owner made his voice heard as well...
I've been thinking the same thing.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Frazier didn't deserve to be a head coach in the first place either, so I can't feel too bad for him.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Crax wrote:Frazier didn't deserve to be a head coach in the first place either, so I can't feel too bad for him.
I don't know that I agree with that. He showed some promise early on and deserved a chance. Here is an article that discusses why he should be fired. While some of it discusses (again) the whole emotional vs stoic style (I disagree with the author's conclusions here) he also makes some valid points for the firing of Frazier, something I believe is going to happen at the end of the season.
Allen Moody - Yahoo Sports wrote: Frazier prefers the stoic, emotionless presence that Minnesota Vikings fans were first introduced to by former coach Bud Grant. With Grant, you couldn't tell if the Vikings were ahead by 10 points or behind by 10 points. With Frazier, you can't tell if the Vikings are behind by seven points or behind by 27.

But that's where the similarities end, as Grant had the respect of his team and the rest of the league, while Frazier appears to have neither. The Vikings aren't responding to his methods and have too much talent to be 1-6 and one of the laughingstocks of the league.
I also disagree with the "not having respect" conclusion drawn. I think the player's do respect him. He's just not, for whatever reason, producing the results he needs to.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Just Me wrote: I don't know that I agree with that. He showed some promise early on and deserved a chance.
The year he took over, the defense finished ranked 25th in the league. The year before that was also in the 20's. Many OC/DC's that become head coaches are pulled away from a top team and/or are coming off a season where their position group was top 5 or so in the league. Frazier hit 10 once, but was never at the top. Doesn't mean they'll work out, but there is tons of examples of a guy going from top ranking offense/defense to head coaching position. There's definitely guys that are better coordinators than coaches, but they earned the chance by showing they can run a great(not just good) group at their respective specialty.

As has been pointed out in another thread, Frazier's defenses in general are just average.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Crax wrote: The year he took over, the defense finished ranked 25th in the league. The year before that was also in the 20's. Many OC/DC's that become head coaches are pulled away from a top team and/or are coming off a season where their position group was top 5 or so in the league. Frazier hit 10 once, but was never at the top. Doesn't mean they'll work out, but there is tons of examples of a guy going from top ranking offense/defense to head coaching position. There's definitely guys that are better coordinators than coaches, but they earned the chance by showing they can run a great(not just good) group at their respective specialty.

As has been pointed out in another thread, Frazier's defenses in general are just average.
Was Tomlin ever in the top 5 though? (I really don't know, but I didn't think he was) He went on to win the SB with the Steelers after he left as our coordinator. Again, all kind of arguments can be made as to why he was successful, but I believed he deserved a chance too.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Just Me wrote: Was Tomlin ever in the top 5 though? (I really don't know, but I didn't think he was)
Tomlin finished 8th overall defense with the Vikings in 06. He was only a defensive co-ordinator for a single year.