New Fan

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

FourSportsZero
Waterboy

Re: New Fan

Post by FourSportsZero »

Texas Vike wrote: That's going to be your first post on this board? Welcome to both you and the OP, but let's clarify one point.

The definition of a Viking fan includes two mandatory elements: "1. One who suffers an interminable number of adversities watching the many ways that incompetence can manifest on and off of a football field, cheering for a positive outcome despite a widespread sense that fate is against your team, and 2. One who absolutely hates the Packers with every cell of one's being"

:lol: :v):
That's silly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

SterlingANJ wrote:Guys, I just want to introduce myself. I'm 19, and my name is Sterling. I was never a football fan until my dad was offered tickets to go the Vikings/Giants game on Monday. Even though it was a loss, and "there were only a few exciting plays" as my dad would say, I immediately fell in love with the sport, and my dads team, the Vikings. I was really excited to see Peterson after hearing how amazing he was, but they never really gave him the ball on Monday. I don't know as much about football as most of you, so I may be using the wrong words, or something, but I am so excited to finally be interested in a team! It doesn't look like the perfect season to BECOME a fan of the Vikings, but hopefully I can be proven wrong! ;)
:welcome

Great to hear that your dad took you to a game and that you both now cheer for the same team. I actually think you picked a good time to become a fan, you can say you lived through the low point and it won't look like you jumped on the bandwagon when they win the Super Bowl :v):
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

FourSportsZero wrote: That's silly
It is. I'm half joking, which is why I included the emoticon. Anyways, fans that grew up in MN cheering on the Vikes probably do despise the Pack. That's normal. Someone who makes a conscious choice to follow this team, with warts and all, is probably less likely to have that hatred. We welcome one and all! :smilevike:
FourSportsZero
Waterboy

Post by FourSportsZero »

^
Haha ok, sorry then, didn't mean to come off as a jerk.
Didn't mean to hijack this guys thread, i'll shuttup now :D
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

He's the opposite of a '98er
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

FourSportsZero wrote: That's silly
I don't think it's silly at all. You actually now have TWO favorite teams. The Vikings and whoever is playing the Heads of Cheese!
SterlingANJ
Backup

Post by SterlingANJ »

S197 wrote: :welcome

Great to hear that your dad took you to a game and that you both now cheer for the same team. I actually think you picked a good time to become a fan, you can say you lived through the low point and it won't look like you jumped on the bandwagon when they win the Super Bowl :v):
I actually like that thought!
"Some sweat hog mama with a face like a gent
Said my get up and go musta got up and went"
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

One passes away and another is born.

Okay, kid...You can't shave until the Vikings win a Super Bowl.
SterlingANJ
Backup

Post by SterlingANJ »

PacificNorseWest wrote:One passes away and another is born.

Okay, kid...You can't shave until the Vikings win a Super Bowl.
Haha, you got it. It's truthfully not about being a fan of a predictably good team, who can win tons of games. I really think it's about being loyal as a fan, and having a team to follow..especially up from the bottom like this. And anyways, aren't the games still exciting to watch each time? You never know what 'miracle' could happen!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

SterlingANJ wrote:Guys, I just want to introduce myself. I'm 19, and my name is Sterling. I was never a football fan until my dad was offered tickets to go the Vikings/Giants game on Monday. Even though it was a loss, and "there were only a few exciting plays" as my dad would say, I immediately fell in love with the sport, and my dads team, the Vikings. I was really excited to see Peterson after hearing how amazing he was, but they never really gave him the ball on Monday. I don't know as much about football as most of you, so I may be using the wrong words, or something, but I am so excited to finally be interested in a team! It doesn't look like the perfect season to BECOME a fan of the Vikings, but hopefully I can be proven wrong! ;)
Welcome to the nut house.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Kudos to you sir. I was enticed to the vikings during the '98 when it was ultimately heartbreak in the end, but what a great bunch of characters we had then. As 98 was the first season I saw on tv over here in the uk, I had to be a Viking.
Since then there's been a lot of ups and downs, but if anything, that's made me more fanatical.
If your old man is a Viking and you two have chances to go to games, then stick with it. You've got a lot more reasons than most to follow the vikes. Don't worry about last week, in my short time following the vikings, the past two weeks have been some of the worst. It does get better. (Next year maybe)
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Welcome, dude.
SterlingANJ
Backup

Post by SterlingANJ »

UKno1VIKING wrote: Kudos to you sir. I was enticed to the vikings during the '98 when it was ultimately heartbreak in the end, but what a great bunch of characters we had then. As 98 was the first season I saw on tv over here in the uk, I had to be a Viking.
Since then there's been a lot of ups and downs, but if anything, that's made me more fanatical.
If your old man is a Viking and you two have chances to go to games, then stick with it. You've got a lot more reasons than most to follow the vikes. Don't worry about last week, in my short time following the vikings, the past two weeks have been some of the worst. It does get better. (Next year maybe)
Thank you! Yeah! I agree! I'm pretty excited actually now to hear from the (very friendly) community on here. Since this is what could probably be the lowest point, I get to watch the Vikes rise up!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Pick a different team now while you still have a chance. I recommend the Steelers, Patriots, 49ers, hell even the hated Packers.
FourSportsZero wrote:You don't need to hate the Packers to be a Vikings fan
Eli wrote:When you get fed up with following this one, there are 31 others that you may want to look into.
Don't listen to these guys. If you don't know already, you'll realize soon enough that it's impossible to pick another team. That's just...wrong. If the Vikings are your first love, that's it for you. Vikings for life! :D

And yes, you must hate the Packers if you're a Vikings fan. It's a football law. I didn't think I could hate them any more than I already did, but after Sunday night's game...I hate them and their fans 10 times more. Talk about a bunch of cocky a-holes! It was rough. I can't wait to see them go down this year...hard.

:welcome and as always... :govikes:
Odlid
Backup

Post by Odlid »

Welcome to the Purple Nation. I am 42 years old and have been a Vikes fam since I was 5. My dad is a Vikes fan and my 13 year old son also bleeds purple.

As many have noted already, be prepared as a Vikings loyalist to have your heart stomped on. The Minnesota Vikings are the equivalent to the San Diego Padres in baseball. I consider the Vikings to be the most under-achieving franchise in the NFL (along with the Browns & Bills). It is sad to consider that our storied team has never been able to win the big-game; when the likes of the Rams, Buccaneers, & Saints are wearing Super Bowl rings.

If I had to summarize being a Vikings fan in one-word, it would be... "FRUSTRATION" :steamed:
"A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback; and not necessarily in that order." - Bud Grant