Fran Tarkenton: Vikings auditioning Josh Freeman? Embarrassi

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Fran Tarkenton: Vikings auditioning Josh Freeman? Embarr

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:But its not one game. He has been in the league for a number of years.
... and mechanics, timing and inaccurate throws are one of the reasons he's no longer with the Bucs.

Let's face it, at this point in his career, Freeman's a project, a player who is going to need some serious work (and who will have to put in some serious work) to become a franchise QB, if he's even capable of that.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Here is my main thought about freeman: If he is truly a Franchsie QB at a young age, Why was he even available? What could Frasier, Speilman and others have been thinking here? Obviously, OBVIOUSLY there is some kind of a problem. Did they analyze this or just hope for the best?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Laserman wrote:Here is my main thought about freeman: If he is truly a Franchsie QB at a young age, Why was he even available? What could Frasier, Speilman and others have been thinking here? Obviously, OBVIOUSLY there is some kind of a problem. Did they analyze this or just hope for the best?

I'm sure they scouted him and they know there are problems (I hope they know) but I think they grabbed him so they could "kick the tires" and see if he's worth the investment of time and effort it would take to fix those problems.

Freeman's not a franchise QB now.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mechanics? His mechanics were bad because he's a freakin head case. Deer in the head lights. Guy is mentally ill and medicated for it. He wasn't mentally ready after getting jerked around by the Bucs. This isn't some smart, confident, veteran QB. It's a guy with issues.....but maybe they can coach him to step into his throws and keep his elbow up and all well be fine. :rock:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote:Mechanics? His mechanics were bad because he's a freakin head case. Deer in the head lights. Guy is mentally ill and medicated for it. He wasn't mentally ready after getting jerked around by the Bucs. This isn't some smart, confident, veteran QB. It's a guy with issues.....but maybe they can coach him to step into his throws and keep his elbow up and all well be fine. :rock:
If theres one coaching staff in the NFL, that can fix a QB that has the same problems as its current QBs, its the Vikings!
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Are Cassel and Ponder taking medication for mental disorders?

PurpleKoolaid wrote: If theres one coaching staff in the NFL, that can fix a QB that has the same problems as its current QBs, its the Vikings!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Valhalla wrote:I think Tarkenton or someone on that show also said every year, a QB should be picked even if that pick comes in the last 4 rounds. Maybe, if you picked a QB every year, it seems your percentages of getting someone who does well in the position would rise drastically. You could pick 3 duds over 4 years but one of them might be outstanding. I think they said Rodgers for example, was a lower rounds pick.
Rodgers was a late first round pick but Brady was drafted in the sixth round and is probably the best example of what you're talking about.
Also, heard on the show that the record for one team possessing the ball in a game is 45+ minutes, the Packers had the ball 41+ minutes, not that far from the record.
Yikes! If the Vikes don't start playing better, one of their opponents might break that record before the season is over. :(
Odlid
Backup

Post by Odlid »

Spot on! :rock:

Ponder, Freeman, and Cassle combined don't amount to a pimple on Tarkenton's rearend.
"A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback; and not necessarily in that order." - Bud Grant
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: Yikes! If the Vikes don't start playing better, one of their opponents might break that record before the season is over. :(
Or... and hear me out here.... we could play WORSE and they could score faster! :wallbang: