Lets play a game of.......Fix the Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Lets play a game of.......Fix the Vikings

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: I agree much better play. I guess I just find it annoying when the announcers go nuts over what they call a "signature play" that really wasn't all that impressive.

The one thing in favor of Manziel on the play I linked is that it was third down. So maybe he was chucking it up as the equivalent of a punt if it gets intercepted. It would have been about a 50-yard field goal but I have no idea how good their kicker is. To be honest though, I think you're right in that it was more of a Favre-type gunslinger throw, which he'll probably live and die by in the pros. He'll certainly be one to watch in the NFL, I just don't know if the risks outweigh the rewards.
He just seems like the Anti-Ponder to me. A guy that clearly has command and is going to take chances. For that reason alone, I think it'd be refreshing. Unlike Ponder's questionable pocket presence, constant eye dropping (Manziel always keeps his eyes down the field, which is another huge advantage) and hesitation. With the right HC and coordinator, I just think he could be very good.

Don't get me wrong, it's possible he could flame out (especially off-the-field), but it'd be a heck of a lot more fun to watch.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote:
He just seems like the Anti-Ponder to me. A guy that clearly has command and is going to take chances. For that reason alone, I think it'd be refreshing. Unlike Ponder's questionable pocket presence, constant eye dropping (Manziel always keeps his eyes down the field, which is another huge advantage) and hesitation. With the right HC and coordinator, I just think he could be very good.

Don't get me wrong, it's possible he could flame out (especially off-the-field), but it'd be a heck of a lot more fun to watch.
For sure, he definitely has some maturing to do but he is just 20 right? I guess I'd rather have a Favre who would have enough confidence in his own ability rather than a guy like Ponder who gets mind #### after 3 games.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

Beo wrote: Yeah I am predicting that we end up with the 3rd pick in the draft which is prime pick to draft Clowney. I have Jaguars taking Bridgewater and Tampa Bay either taking Mariota/Hundley or another team like the Browns seem to be loading up to move into the #2 pick to draft Mariota or Hundley. I have a feeling that Manziel is going to go through alot of scrutiny throughout the draft process and the fact that he is just 6 foot or perceived off the field attitude will drop him in the 15-25 range which I think the Vikings having the 35th overall pick (2nd round) and a couple of 3rds or a 4th can jump back into the middle of the first and snag him. I have also seen alot of mocks that has Manziel going in the 2nd so maybe we dont need to move anywhere but I believe we would need to move up to get him.
Okay. You've obviously studied this more than I have. I thought Manziel was projected to go much higher. Nice job. I hope it works out that way.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Fix the Vikings? I've got an easier maybe quicker way to get a better team ... let LA have this team, and the curse that goes with it, and then wait for the league to award us an expansion team. We'll have a brand new stadium waiting for them whenever that might happen xD.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Reignman wrote: Fix the Vikings? I've got an easier maybe quicker way to get a better team ... let LA have this team...
Have you ever been punched in the face before? I'm just curious. ;)
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

MelanieMFunk wrote: Have you ever been punched in the face before? I'm just curious. ;)
Why yes, yes I have. In fact it seems to happen a lot lately. Why do you ask?
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh