If Frazier were fired....

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

If Frazier were fired....

Post by akvikingsfan »

If Frazier were to be fired mid-season like many on this board seem to want, who would be the interim coach for the rest of the season? I don't see any of the coaching staff as being an improvement over Frazier, so why not wait until the end of the season? Fire the whole coaching staff then and regroup. By having an interim coach we could end up just handing the head coaching job to someone like we did with Frazier. This time around I want to do it right. Clean house, do real interview and get the best possible coach we can.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: If Frazier were fired....

Post by akvikingsfan »

whoops didn't think about posting this in another topic. Mods feel free to delete or move. Sorry.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

The mistake wasn't making Frazier interim mid-season. The mistake was making him HC after the season. So this time you do it right, and do not make the interim the permanent HC. Its that simple. There's no reason to keep Frazier one minute longer, unless you want to see morale disintegrate even more. Which you probably do, so you can talk about the draft even more.

akvikingsfan wrote:If Frazier were to be fired mid-season like many on this board seem to want, who would be the interim coach for the rest of the season? I don't see any of the coaching staff as being an improvement over Frazier, so why not wait until the end of the season? Fire the whole coaching staff then and regroup. By having an interim coach we could end up just handing the head coaching job to someone like we did with Frazier. This time around I want to do it right. Clean house, do real interview and get the best possible coach we can.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Webbfann wrote:The mistake wasn't making Frazier interim mid-season. The mistake was making him HC after the season. So this time you do it right, and do not make the interim the permanent HC. Its that simple. There's no reason to keep Frazier one minute longer, unless you want to see morale disintegrate even more. Which you probably do, so you can talk about the draft even more.

I haven't mentioned the draft once. Not sure where that reference came from? I want to see this team be successful, I don't want to see it disintegrate. I am just concerned that if we go the route of an interim head coach that we will end up hiring them as the full time coach after the season. I believe that Frazier and company need to be gone, I only question as to when it would be best to do it.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think the better move is to let him play out the season and then can him. A mid-season firing is rather dramatic, also it would be the second consecutive coaching termination mid-year by the Ownership. (Also the 3rd striaght "combustible" firing given how Mike Tice was shown the door.) That has potential to set an undesireable precendent that could negatively impact the team's ability to retain quality candidates in the future. Moreover, any mid-season coaching change is not likely to produce net positive results in terms of wins/losses. I just don't see it as a case where they have much to gain by canning him early.

If this year continues it's current trajectory then Frasier certainly doesn't deserve another contract.

The question that interests me is whether or not Spielman thought this sort of outcome was possible and that such concerns were why he didn't extend Frasier last year. The lack of an extension was not a vote of confidence, one which as of right now seems quite prescient.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
im4mnvikes
Starter

Post by im4mnvikes »

mansquatch wrote:I think the better move is to let him play out the season and then can him. A mid-season firing is rather dramatic, also it would be the second consecutive coaching termination mid-year by the Ownership. (Also the 3rd striaght "combustible" firing given how Mike Tice was shown the door.) That has potential to set an undesireable precendent that could negatively impact the team's ability to retain quality candidates in the future. Moreover, any mid-season coaching change is not likely to produce net positive results in terms of wins/losses. I just don't see it as a case where they have much to gain by canning him early.

If this year continues it's current trajectory then Frasier certainly doesn't deserve another contract.

The question that interests me is whether or not Spielman thought this sort of outcome was possible and that such concerns were why he didn't extend Frasier last year. The lack of an extension was not a vote of confidence, one which as of right now seems quite prescient.

You fire him now so in the unlikely event we do show some life and end up 8-8 or 7-9 and we end the season strong he does not get another year.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

im4mnvikes wrote:
You fire him now so in the unlikely event we do show some life and end up 8-8 or 7-9 and we end the season strong he does not get another year.
I hate that style of thinking. If we some how turn this ship around and they look good then that's what I'm looking for in a coach, like that's the entire point of coaching. Find the problem, and come up with a solution!

Now, I honestly don't think they're going to find that solution so I expect frazier to be fired but if we came away with a winning record (9-7+) I wouldn't fire Frazier. Some kind of miracle is going to have to happen for that to play out though.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I'm telling you, I bet Bud Grant would do it.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
im4mnvikes
Starter

Post by im4mnvikes »

mondry wrote: I hate that style of thinking. If we some how turn this ship around and they look good then that's what I'm looking for in a coach, like that's the entire point of coaching. Find the problem, and come up with a solution!

Now, I honestly don't think they're going to find that solution so I expect frazier to be fired but if we came away with a winning record (9-7+) I wouldn't fire Frazier. Some kind of miracle is going to have to happen for that to play out though.

We would be winning inspite of him, not because of him
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

im4mnvikes wrote:
We would be winning inspite of him, not because of him
oh lol, that makes sense. So uh... why aren't we doing that NOW then? LOL
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

mondry wrote: oh lol, that makes sense. So uh... why aren't we doing that NOW then? LOL
Good question. People said the same thing about the man in your avatar. We've won a ton since he got canned. Feel the difference? Isn't it awesome?

Maybe im4mnvikes was just trying to be consistent. :)
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

mondry wrote: oh lol, that makes sense. So uh... why aren't we doing that NOW then? LOL
I see what you're saying, but I think what they're saying is ... well look at last year, we went on that late season run thanks to AD and the defense and suddenly people thought Frazier was a coach of the year candidate and Ponder was the answer. Nope it was just an illusion. I don't think we want that to happen again. If AD goes on another tear and we finish 7-9 or 8-8 it might be good enough to save Frazier and we'll have to suffer through all this same crap again next year. Seriously, this play not to lose, keep the score close, conservative nonsense isn't going to help us win a championship.

Oh BTW, Frazier is 4-12 vs the division. That should be a fireable offense all by itself xD.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I want Fraizer to beat his own sorry record of 3-13.
I don't want an interim coach now, but if the Wilfs had been doing their job, I wouldn't mind seeing the new HC after the GB game (if we lose both). And completely outside the Vikings org. now. I want an offensive minded HC. But I want the Wilfs to look long and hard at it this time. The get an F so far.
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

/B

Post by radar55 »

I relate the firing of Frazier with the same approach we all argued was in the best interest of the team when we said it was time to replace Ponder as the Q/B. We were not sure that who ever took over the job as the new Q/B would necessarily be better but we needed to make the move because it was the only way to find out and it was evident that Ponder was not getting the job done.

Well.......the exact same argument can and should be made in reference to Firing Frazier. This team has absolutely no fire and looks completely lost and that falls squarely on the shoulders of the head coach. Do I have any idea that who ever they would pick to replace Frazier would be better......no I don't but.... I do feel that Frazier (like Ponder) is not capable to do the job and therefore needs to be replaced.

The bottom line for me is this:

The season is over and its time to clean house with the old and see what others can do. If your not willing to change mediocrity (whether its players or coaches) then your willing to set that as the standard for the entire organization and that is not acceptable.
im4mnvikes
Starter

Post by im4mnvikes »

Reignman wrote:I see what you're saying, but I think what they're saying is ... well look at last year, we went on that late season run thanks to AD and the defense and suddenly people thought Frazier was a coach of the year candidate and Ponder was the answer. Nope it was just an illusion. I don't think we want that to happen again. If AD goes on another tear and we finish 7-9 or 8-8 it might be good enough to save Frazier and we'll have to suffer through all this same crap again next year. Seriously, this play not to lose, keep the score close, conservative nonsense isn't going to help us win a championship.

Oh BTW, Frazier is 4-12 vs the division. That should be a fireable offense all by itself xD.
Thank you. i didn't have time to type all that earlier. :D