CHOPPING BLOCK: Will somebody get fired for this game?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: CHOPPING BLOCK: Will somebody get fired for this game?

Post by DanAS »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Just putting it out there.

Who, out of anybody, gets fired after today?
I don't know if mid-season firings really do much good. In fact, they might be counterproductive -- you can end up with an interim coach who is a significant upgrade, so you keep him, but in fact, you'd have been better off waiting for the end of the season when more guys would be available and you can select from among the best of the best available.

Then again, that's how we got Chili, right?
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

DanAS wrote: I don't know if mid-season firings really do much good.
They keep fans from heading to the exits.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Webbfann wrote: They keep fans from heading to the exits.

And tells fans that "We are pi.ssed too."
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

The problem is, all of these guys are Frazier's guys, so replacing him with Williams for example is similar to not even firing him. I don't think Musgrave is a good candidate for head coach either so at this point I'd rather just let Frazier coach out the year and clean out everyone at the end.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

mondry wrote:The problem is, all of these guys are Frazier's guys, so replacing him with Williams for example is similar to not even firing him. I don't think Musgrave is a good candidate for head coach either so at this point I'd rather just let Frazier coach out the year and clean out everyone at the end.
Agreed. He's a good guy and presumably he can figure out a way to keep this boat afloat.

But we do need a new coach during the off-season, and hopefully we can get a proven guy this time and not another Chili.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Unless the Wilfs have already planned on this happening, and have HC already picked, there is no sense in an interim HC now. Wait it out, and start looking hard for replacements now. For ALL the coaching staff.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

No, there is very good sense in firing them now. They aren't doing the job, they CAN'T do the job and we don't want them around one more day. If you leave them in you give them a chance to turn it around just enough to make you question whether you really should fire them. Like Ponder, they left him in too long last year and he fooled people into thinking he was worth keeping. It should never have gone that long, they should have seen he was going nowhere by mid-season.

The HC's who will be available after this season will still be available whether we fire Frazier now or later. Fire him now, make the interim the interim ONLY no matter how well he does, and get a real HC at the end.

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Unless the Wilfs have already planned on this happening, and have HC already picked, there is no sense in an interim HC now. Wait it out, and start looking hard for replacements now. For ALL the coaching staff.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

mondry wrote:The problem is, all of these guys are Frazier's guys, so replacing him with Williams for example is similar to not even firing him. I don't think Musgrave is a good candidate for head coach either so at this point I'd rather just let Frazier coach out the year and clean out everyone at the end.
That's what I think about Frazier, he was Chillers guy and it's been like Childress never left except we're even more conservative and play it more safe with Frazier. But I used Williams as my example because that's the only way I can see how we can keep with our current trend of finding a coach who's worse than his predecessor xD. Frazier wasn't a very good coordinator and that didn't prevent him from getting the head gig. But I'm with you, we need to clean house this time.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Just watch...how much y'all wanna bet that if Coughlin is fired as Giants HC, he ends up with the Vikings?
JBrowner47
Rookie

Post by JBrowner47 »

Once Frazier gets fired can we PLEASE get Mike Tomlin?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

BGM wrote: He'd be interesting, but I have to wonder if he could make a mark in today's game. He coached a smash-mouth style. Would that work anymore? And do the Vikings have the personnel to make that work?

No... I want an innovator and a motivator who surrounds himself with coaches who get the best out of whoever is on the roster. Gruden would be in that vein, but I don't know that I'd choose him. Maybe it's time for Rob Ryan to get a head coaching gig? Anyone from the Belichick coaching tree?

Or, how about looking north. Scott Milanovich would be an intriguing guy. Took the Toronto Argonauts to and won the Grey Cup in his first season as head coach.
Chris Petersen is a guy that's always intrigued me. You have guys like Saban that are successful in college and big flops in the pros but I think it's because he coaches in the SEC where they get a wealth of talent every single year. Once a guy like this gets to the NFL, where talent is much more equal, he's in over his head. Petersen has put together some amazing squads out in nowhere Idaho. He's also very innovative and has produced multiple 1st round picks so it's not like it's a gimmick scheme or anything. Maybe he's comfortable out there in Boise but he's one that I think could be very successful in the NFL.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

I hope not, Coughlin is too old. And I don't think Tomlin is the answer, the Steelers are a mess too. During the broadcast today, Billick talked as if he missed Minnesota, hinty hint hint :wink:
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Billick... :wallbang:

Billick misses being a head coach now that it's clear the guy got a ton of credit for the talent he had, and couldn't do squat putting an offensive together as a head coach.

Tomlin? He got his chance. Once the talent started to dwindle so did his job. And now talk about players starting to rebel?

Peterson? Would be fun to try. I'd prefer him as an OC though. I think we need to get a GM or head coach with a track record who can come in and lay a foundation and get things going in the right direction. Maybe a Parcells, Dungy, Cowher...even if it's in the front office and not as head coach, either way.
colnajoe
Waterboy

Post by colnajoe »

I agree .... Fraizer needs to go, and Musgrave too

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk now Free
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

should someone get fired.................absolutely..........will someone get fired..............probably not unless Spielman feels its his job thats hanging in the balance. If thats the case he will throw someone under the bus in order to save his own azz.