What's your initial feeling on the Vikings signing Freeman?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Your initial thoughts on the Freeman signing?

Freeman can be the franchise QB we've been looking for.
11%
I'm hopeful, but don't know if Freeman can be the guy.
36%
Won't say its good or bad. Will wait and see how things play out.
29%
Freeman irrelevant. Likely won't play in 2013 and will be gone in 2014.
1%
Bad. His presence will distract Cassel and Ponder from playing well.
1%
Awful move, Vikes will make him our franchise and he will fail
10%
Putting anyone on the field other than Ponder is a mistake
5%
Other
8%

Total votes: 103

Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: What's your initial feeling on the Vikings signing Freem

Post by Webbfann »

I know Ponder won't ever be starting a Super Bowl now or any other year. I don't know that a merely competent QB like Cassel couldn't take us there, even though everyone wants a "franchise QB". Our best shot to get anywhere is this year (yeah, I know, haha!) or next, while AP is in his prime. I'm not convinced Freeman is a better risk for us than Cassel over that term. The harm , the downside that nobody seems to see is that we could blow our chance with Cassel, a sometimes competent and experienced QB, in favor of someone who may have a higher ceiling but really is quite a gamble of late. Of course all this is moot until we see how Cassel plays in more than one game.

Mothman wrote:
Is Freeman a franchise QB? Who knows? The Vikes clearly just want to take a close look and decide for themselves. The consternation over that move really surprises me because it's such a low-risk/high reward choice. The only real potential harm is that it could hurt their already slim playoff chances and since I doubt any Vikes fans sincerely believed Ponder or Cassel would be starting for the team in this season's Super Bowl, what is the harm in exploring this option?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Webbfann wrote:I know Ponder won't ever be starting a Super Bowl now or any other year. I don't know that a merely competent QB like Cassel couldn't take us there, even though everyone wants a "franchise QB". Our best shot to get anywhere is this year (yeah, I know, haha!) or next, while AP is in his prime. I'm not convinced Freeman is a better risk for us than Cassel over that term. The harm , the downside that nobody seems to see is that we could blow our chance with Cassel, a sometimes competent and experienced QB, in favor of someone who may have a higher ceiling but really is quite a gamble of late. Of course all this is moot until we see how Cassel plays in more than one game.
As you pointed out in that last sentence, it's premature to worry about blowing a chance with Cassel, who, ironically, could also be described as "quite a gamble of late". He's been one of the worst QBs in the NFL over the past few years, arguably worse than the guy Vikes fans love to hate. One fairly good game against a team that really struggles to get to the QB and hasn't forced a turnover this season doesn't just erase that recent history. It's extremely unlikely Cassel will lead the Vikes to the playoffs but if he starts on Sunday, plays well and they win again, there's no reason they can't keep playing him. Signing Freeman simply means they signed Freeman. Nothing obligates them to play him if Cassel gets hot and they're winning.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

I just don't see 250 yards with 2 TDs to no INTs a 123.4 rating and a WIN as comparable to anything Freeman (or Ponder) has done "of late".
I certainly hope we don't "have to" play him, but I'm afraid coaches may feel otherwise even if we're winning because of his 1 year deal. If so, thats fine; just use him in ways that don't jeopardize wins if Cassel is leading us to wins.

Mothman wrote: As you pointed out in that last sentence, it's premature to worry about blowing a chance with Cassel, who, ironically, could also be described as "quite a gamble of late". He's been one of the worst QBs in the NFL over the past few years, arguably worse than the guy Vikes fans love to hate. One fairly good game against a team that really struggles to get to the QB and hasn't forced a turnover this season doesn't just erase that recent history. It's extremely unlikely Cassel will lead the Vikes to the playoffs but if he starts on Sunday, plays well and they win again, there's no reason they can't keep playing him. Signing Freeman simply means they signed Freeman. Nothing obligates them to play him if Cassel gets hot and they're winning.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I think it's fantasy to believe that this team is a QB away from a superbowl whether AD is here or not.

Or that "AD in his prime" is some sort of terminal factor in determining this teams window. Obviously he plays a big role on the offensive side of the ball and with a more polished QB the offense would have have much more balance and effectiveness. But it appears to me that the FO is looking to build a long term consistent competitor...not piece together a run ala 2009. I sincerely hope that is the case, otherwise this team is rudderless at the top.

IMO ADs prime should not be a large factor at all regarding how they address the QB position going forward. The QB spot is far more important and considering the reality of how long it may take the defensive side of the ball to match up with what the offense will do, once a QB is found that can man the helm, there is no reason to panic and not take every measure necessary to see what the have in Freeman since he has practically fallen into their lap.

They have to play him ASAP IMO.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

He's been in the league 5 years. He isn't a franchise quarterback. He's had one good year. And a bunch of average ones. They hope he's better than what they have, which is he. And younger than their best QB, Cassel, which he is. But beyond that? Let's hope they don't think they're done at the position, they still need a franchise QB. Because Freeman isn't that. Teams don't cut franchise Qbs...
Look at Freeman's stats before and after Schiano came in. By the way, a QB with 1 or 2 great years and 3 "average" ones can definitely be a franchise QB.

From what I've read and heard, Schiano is a hard-#### #### head.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

The Breeze wrote:I think it's fantasy to believe that this team is a QB away from a superbowl whether AD is here or not.

Or that "AD in his prime" is some sort of terminal factor in determining this teams window. Obviously he plays a big role on the offensive side of the ball and with a more polished QB the offense would have have much more balance and effectiveness. But it appears to me that the FO is looking to build a long term consistent competitor...not piece together a run ala 2009. I sincerely hope that is the case, otherwise this team is rudderless at the top.

IMO ADs prime should not be a large factor at all regarding how they address the QB position going forward. The QB spot is far more important and considering the reality of how long it may take the defensive side of the ball to match up with what the offense will do, once a QB is found that can man the helm, there is no reason to panic and not take every measure necessary to see what the have in Freeman since he has practically fallen into their lap.

They have to play him ASAP IMO.
I agree that they need to and will play Freeman. He will start within 3 weeks and be a starter for the rest of the year barring an injury.

With an average to above average QB, this team can be top 3-4 in the league offensively.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Not sure if this has been posted already, but figured I'd share it anyway.
Shaun King - 1500ESPN wrote:Leslie Frazier really wasn't in favor of bringing Josh Freeman in. This is Rick Spielman and the owner who overruled the head coach and said, 'No, we've kind of figured out what Christian Ponder is. We want to see what Josh Freeman can bring this team.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

akvikingsfan wrote:Not sure if this has been posted already, but figured I'd share it anyway.

Standing :appl: to Wilf and Spielman.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

akvikingsfan wrote:Not sure if this has been posted already, but figured I'd share it anyway.
Hmmm, I wonder who new "Vikings insider" Shaun King's source is... ;)

Maybe Frazier didn't want Freeman. I'll admit, when I heard about the deal one of the first things it brought to mind was the Herschel Walker trade, another situation in which a coach was suddenly provided/saddled with a high profile player several games into a season. It's not an encouraging comparison to consider and there aren't that many parallels but the current situation has the potential to be disruptive and it's the type of thing that can be difficult for a head coach to navigate.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

GBFavreFan wrote: Many of you act like Rivers' presence on the Chargers was some afterthought. Phillip Rivers wasn't a 5-year practice squad that happened to catch on during practice one day. He wasn't a converted WR who displayed uncanny ability. The Chargers gave up on Drew Brees so they wanted either Eli Manning or Phillip Rivers. A QB didn't fall in their lap or anything. The Chargers DIDN'T WANT DREW BREES. the offers he received were BS offers and they put up zero resistance because THEY DIDN'T WANT HIM. Please people, stop acting like Drew Brees wasn't cast off, because he was and if you talk to any Chargers fan they'll explain that to you in more vivid detail.

Drew Brees was a franchise QB who they felt wasn't delivering the goods, so they drafted a new QB, and guess what else, he played better after they drafted Rivers, so that's why you people are blurring your memories. Brees' best year was AFTER PHILLIP RIVERS WAS DRAFTED!!!!!!!!!
Brees didn't develop fast enough for the Charger's GM, so they drafted Rivers. You are correct on that.

But, after the Chargers drafted Rivers, Rivers held out and Brees tore it up. Tore it up so much so that the following year the Chargers used their Franchise Tag on him to ensure they'd get at least 2 1st rounders if someone signed him, and Brees continued to excel the following year with the Chargers. It was the shoulder injury and the fact the Chargers had Rivers that resulted in the "don't need him" contract offer.

But that isn't really relevant to Josh Freeman's situation. Freeman is a guy who steadily performed worse as time went on and whose team just basically cut him for nothing.
GBFavreFan wrote: Jay Cutler, a franchise QB, was shown the door after 3 years. He was traded to Chicago, and guess what, if no one traded for him HE WOULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED After all these years, people should understand that NFL teams get rid of franchise QB's. I know it might not make rationale sense, but it happens. Look around, in 2009 the Vikings got one of these castoffs, and it just happened in Tampa Bay. I'm not guaranteeing Josh Freeman is our franchise QB, but make no mistake about it, he was Tampa's franchise QB and they gave up on him for a myriad of reasons, and things aren't so black and white that Freeman must not be a real franchise QB BECAUSE he was released so THEREFORE isn't. Franchise quarterbacks, RB's, coaches, etc. are let go by teams all the time in ALL OF SPORTS
I'll give you that franchise QB's move around from time to time, but how many of those are moved without compensation to the team moving them?

All I will say is Freeman is no Brees. He's not a Cutler. He's not even a late-model Favre. As he sits today he's probably worse overall than Ponder, but with a bigger arm and from what I understand a better penchant to take advantage of AD's ability to draw defenses up. If Freeman can somehow get it together and become what would amount to the QB equivalent of when the Vikings nabbed Cris Carter, that would be spectacular. I really hope that is what happens. I just don't think it will. I don't think it's even remotely likely.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:All I will say is Freeman is no Brees. He's not a Cutler. He's not even a late-model Favre. As he sits today he's probably worse overall than Ponder, but with a bigger arm and from what I understand a better penchant to take advantage of AD's ability to draw defenses up. If Freeman can somehow get it together and become what would amount to the QB equivalent of when the Vikings nabbed Cris Carter, that would be spectacular. I really hope that is what happens. I just don't think it will. I don't think it's even remotely likely.
Probably not but what's the harm in kicking the tires?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Hmmm, I wonder who new "Vikings insider" Shaun King's source is... ;)

Maybe Frazier didn't want Freeman. I'll admit, when I heard about the deal one of the first things it brought to mind was the Herschel Walker trade, another situation in which a coach was suddenly provided/saddled with a high profile player several games into a season. It's not an encouraging comparison to consider and there aren't that many parallels but the current situation has the potential to be disruptive and it's the type of thing that can be difficult for a head coach to navigate.
Absolutely. Think about it. Frazier will be expected to work Freeman in, which will require either extra effort on everyone's part or suck reps away from whoever is supposed to start that week. His presence forces them to cut a developmental prospect in MBT. It disrupts the QB's currently on the roster and makes them question their real status.

I am not in favor of Spielman making any more moves at QB. He has really missed at this position so far and this move doesn't inspire confidence in my view. I may be in the minority, but what Spielman needed to do was take his full dose of Ponder medicine this season and give Ponder and Frazier the latitude to completely rule Ponder in or out of the future equation. He then should have hired a proven QB evaluator, gone into the draft, and done whatever it took to move wherever he needed to get a guy who could come in and have a real chance of succeeding.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Leslie Frazier really wasn't in favor of bringing Josh Freeman in. This is Rick Spielman and the owner who overruled the head coach and said, 'No, we've kind of figured out what Christian Ponder is. We want to see what Josh Freeman can bring this team.
This isn't at all surprising and fits exactly with how many envision the Vikings operating right now. To say that everyone isn't on the same page with respect to personnel would be putting it nicely. It fits perfectly with Leslie's milquetoast demeanor. If the situation dictated, I'm sure he would have played MBT for the remainder of the season before bringing in an outside QB.

I don't think Frazier is long for Minnesota. It's been commented here that he's coaching for his job this season, but that's not the real story. It's Spielman trying to salvage his own job.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Probably not but what's the harm in kicking the tires?
I just think it's another desperation move. I've said it before and I'll say it again - ill-considered moves beget more ill-considered moves, and enough of them land the person or team in desperate straits. Once there, the only way out is to stop the madness, which generally means a change at the decision making level. Just as nobody really expects Ponder to suddenly start throwing more accurately, I think it's equally reasonable to expect Spielman to continue reaching at the QB position and this move is right in line with that (especially if it's true that Frazier said no and was overruled).

The Wilfs made Rick the GM, and now it's time for Rick to step away from the controls when it comes to evaluating QBs and hire someone who knows how to do it and has a good track record. This Freeman thing is highly likely to flame out well before the end of this season, so I still think the QB position is going to be hot going into the offseason. Hopefully by that time the Wilfs will have seen the results to the point where they take the keys away from Rick, at least as far as QB is concerned.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

VikingLord wrote:
I just think it's another desperation move. I've said it before and I'll say it again - ill-considered moves beget more ill-considered moves, and enough of them land the person or team in desperate straits. Once there, the only way out is to stop the madness, which generally means a change at the decision making level. Just as nobody really expects Ponder to suddenly start throwing more accurately, I think it's equally reasonable to expect Spielman to continue reaching at the QB position and this move is right in line with that (especially if it's true that Frazier said no and was overruled).

The Wilfs made Rick the GM, and now it's time for Rick to step away from the controls when it comes to evaluating QBs and hire someone who knows how to do it and has a good track record. This Freeman thing is highly likely to flame out well before the end of this season, so I still think the QB position is going to be hot going into the offseason. Hopefully by that time the Wilfs will have seen the results to the point where they take the keys away from Rick, at least as far as QB is concerned.
I guess I just couldn't disagree more with you. To take his own "medicine" and trot ponder out there for 16 games is the last thing this franchise needs and I think you're really selling spielman short if you think he hasn't already made his decision on Ponder or would need to see him for all 16 games to come to the right conclusion. The worst thing imo would be to follow along with frazier saying "ponder's our guy" and make zero moves at all.

It's very rare this kind of opportunity at the QB position comes along and for relatively no cost so I think it's a huge move spielman pulled this off and he gets a lot of credit to me for already being able to diagnose Ponder as a bust and start considering other options. It's even rarer to be able to do it mid season.

Honestly I think you're incredibly over reacting and have a pretty unrealistic take on how a football team operates. "Sorry Rick, you're my guy but I'm going to bring in this other guy just to pick the quarter back next time" said no owner ever. Maybe Rick takes it into his own hands to find help but even that seems really strange to me.

This is a look at a free agent QB who happened to be better than our #3 MBT when we decided our #1, Ponder, was a bust. I mean I can understand a little bit if you think this is a superbowl contender with Cassel playing the last 12 games but I'm under the impression that that probably isn't super realistic with a 32 ranked pass defense. If josh is as bad as you think then no real loss there either and we still draft a top QB.