Week 4 NFL QB Stats

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Week 4 NFL QB Stats

Post by mondry »

It was 99% Jennings and Simpson for his success and the other 1% is that the steelers are bad.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mondry wrote:It was 99% Jennings and Simpson for his success and the other 1% is that the steelers are bad.
Not really. A lot o his passes were right on the money and in stride. None of Ponders ever seemed to be.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

:rofl:
Last edited by Demi on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Cassel should have been responsible for 3 turnovers in the last game against a team that is now 0-4.

And I still liked how his passes looked compared to Ponder. I said it in the game day thread; if both QBs are going to throw inaccurate passes and make bad decisions at least Cassel does it quickly.

I expect those turnovers to only get worse from Cassel as he goes against better defenses ... I guess at the end of it I don't care which one starts. This team doesn't have the QB or pass defense to win ... It's gonna be a long season.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Not really. A lot o his passes were right on the money and in stride. None of Ponders ever seemed to be.

Have to agree. How can anybody side with ponder?
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

mondry wrote:It was 99% Jennings and Simpson for his success and the other 1% is that the steelers are bad.
Were Jennings and Simpson on the bench for the first 3 games?

I think Cassel is a mediocre at the very best NFL QB.....and a decent QB should be able to put up pretty good numbers with AD in the backfield

Ponder is nowhere near a decent NFL QB
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Cliff wrote:Cassel should have been responsible for 3 turnovers in the last game against a team that is now 0-4.

And I still liked how his passes looked compared to Ponder. I said it in the game day thread; if both QBs are going to throw inaccurate passes and make bad decisions at least Cassel does it quickly.

I expect those turnovers to only get worse from Cassel as he goes against better defenses ... I guess at the end of it I don't care which one starts. This team doesn't have the QB or pass defense to win ... It's gonna be a long season.
You make some valid points, but lets be fair, he was a bit rusty and the first time he's played with this group of guys. He looked quite comfortable. Ponder has had how much time with the starters and still looks like a skittish rookie? Once Cassel settled down, he was much better. He started 4/11 and finished 12/14. And lets not pretend Ponder didn't have a few more near INT's himself ... oh wait, hard to throw a pick when you throw the ball into the 1st row half the time xD.

But you're right about the pass defense, man the cover 0 is going to age us all an extra 5 years before this season is over.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think all most of us wanted to see, in the Ponder years, was on average QB. We didn't. Until this Sunday. That's akk anyone is saying Cassel is. But it is nice to see a decent arm after all these years of the Ponder people trying to claim he had one.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Cassell's near INT there is a Viking close enough to knock it away. Ponder's INTs are often thrown to wide open defenders.

I may be exaggerating, I'm not sure. But it sounds nice and fits with my world view. :D
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Technically you can remove Foles and Fitzpatrick from the list because they had few attempts, so Cassel was actually 3rd best this week.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Boon wrote: Or he can show 2008/2010 form and shut everyone up
From the time we signed him, until Saturday at noon we had to hear about how he wasn't any better then Ponder...and he has a higher QB rating in his first game than Ponder managed in the previous 30.... :confused:
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I don't care how many turnovers Cassel "should've thrown." (who says s*** like that?) The fact is he makes plays that Ponder has been unable to make since he's been here. He hits the receivers better and has better control of the offense all the around. I'm hoping no one was expecting him to play like Tom Brady. :rofl: So far for his first regular season game, he has done a good job. He's not the long term answer but I think the Vikings could manage with him until we draft another QB. All wins wont be pretty but as long as we get the W, I will take it. That's all that matters at the end of the day, right? Its not how you win, it's just getting a win period.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

JEC334 wrote:I don't care how many turnovers Cassel "should've thrown." (who says s*** like that?)
Answer: Half the people on this board.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Answer: Half the people on this board.
What else do you call it when the reciever has to bat the ball out of the defenders hand?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: What else do you call it when the reciever has to bat the ball out of the defenders hand?
Incomplete pass.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.