Stupid stat

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Stupid stat

Post by Reignman »

Haha that's funny, I came here today just to post that stat, but it's 31-9 in the fourth not 41-9. Still pathetic and the reason we're 1-3 and not 3-1.

Code: Select all

Vikings    31 41 34  9 - 115
Opponents  31 40 21 31 - 123
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
TheFoxInDetox
Veteran

Post by TheFoxInDetox »

I don't like the conservative style of "don't lose" 4th quarter play that teams exhibit but it is hardly unique to the Vikings. I saw several good teams do the same thing just yesterday. I guess the idea is to keep the clock ticking and make sure you don't throw the game away with a pick 6. make the other team beat you.

it must work more often than not or coaches like Bellichek, Kubiak and Reid wouldn't employ it so often. Like I said, I can't stand it but there must be a statistician somewhere who says that it is the smart play. :confused:
TheFoxInDetox
Veteran

Post by TheFoxInDetox »

TheFoxInDetox wrote:I don't like the conservative style of "don't lose" 4th quarter play that teams exhibit when they take a lead late into the 4th quarter but it is hardly unique to the Vikings. I saw several good teams do the same thing just yesterday. I guess the idea is to keep the clock ticking and make sure you don't throw the game away with a pick 6. make the other team beat you.

it must work more often than not or coaches like Bellichek, Kubiak and Reid wouldn't employ it so often. Like I said, I can't stand it but there must be a statistician somewhere who says that it is the smart play. :confused:
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

You're right about that, keep the ball in front, don't give up the big play, and keep the clock ticking, but I think the original idea behind "prevent" defense was to play it in the final 2 minutes with a 2 score lead. Now teams are playing it with a 3 point lead, and for the entire 4th quarter. All teams do it, but the Vikings have turned it into a specialty.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:Why would anyone in their right mind would want to so drastically change something that worked fine in the 1st 3 quarters of a game to what the Vikings do in the 4th? I mean really? :wallbang:
Ha, I ask myself that every time I watch any close football game.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Reignman wrote:You're right about that, keep the ball in front, don't give up the big play, and keep the clock ticking, but I think the original idea behind "prevent" defense was to play it in the final 2 minutes with a 2 score lead. Now teams are playing it with a 3 point lead, and for the entire 4th quarter. All teams do it, but the Vikings have turned it into a specialty.
yeah ROFL, so true! We start running the clock out in the 3rd quarter!

As for Belichik they never take the foot off the gas, and that's the difference. If they're up by 14 why not be up by 21? That's the way to win, I mean doesn't that make sense? If a small lead is a good, a big lead is better. If you scored 34 points (like we did) you can probably score 7 more points going for it.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

mondry wrote: yeah ROFL, so true! We start running the clock out in the 3rd quarter!

As for Belichik they never take the foot off the gas, and that's the difference. If they're up by 14 why not be up by 21? That's the way to win, I mean doesn't that make sense? If a small lead is a good, a big lead is better. If you scored 34 points (like we did) you can probably score 7 more points going for it.
Especially considering we scored point #34 with 5:00 to go in the 3rd quarter. We played it safe, went the final 20 minutes without scoring, and our 17 point lead disappeared in a hurry. I'll guarantee every Viking fan in the country predicted a run on 3rd n 5, a punt, and a game tying TD. I nearly punched Frazier through my TV.