Of Next Years Draft Class, Which QB Would You Choose Today?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: Of Next Years Draft Class, Which QB Would You Choose Tod

Post by PacificNorseWest »

JellyBean2144 wrote:Much as I hate the hyping of Johnny Football, I do like his swag. If we were picking a QB I would want this dude on my team. He is a gamer.
I'm not sold because of things Demi hit on, but he definitely has something unique and more of that "it" factor that others of his skillset do not possess. It doesn't mean he's NFL..Scratch that...Super Bowl winning caliber.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Cmon. They passed on Rodgers twice because they had Culpepper coming off a 39 TD season. No one could foresee his knee exploding the following season.
I was also screaming at my TV in 2003 for them to select one Drew Brees from Purdue, after watching him light the Goophers up for 3 years. Good teams draft a QB even when they have one, because nobody knows when that knee is going to get tore up. They would have trophy if they woulda. And it's nice to have good backups, and a trade chip down the road.
This space available for rent.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

Boon wrote: Like rodgers, steve young, big ben, those guys?
Please! Except for Young early in his career, none of these guys are considered running QBs like Vick. They CAN run but they won Super Bowls because of their passing skills. When Young became a passer first is when he earned his spot in the HOF.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

I have some mixed thoughts on Johnny Moxy aka Manziel.

He plays backyard football, has guts, and as my nickname for him suggests he has Moxy. That you can't teach, it reminds me a lot of Brett favre.

On the other hand, he sometimes takes a lot of time waiting for a play to develop, scrambling like Tarkenton. My concerns are: Will NFL defense blow up these plays, he certainly wont get 10 seconds to make that gutsy throw like he does in college. But when he does make that throw, he hits it.

I don't really like the Tebow comparisons, he is a far better passer in college than Tebow ever was.

I don't think Manziel has an in between, he will either be a massive bust, or a big time star.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

PurpleHalo wrote:I was also screaming at my TV in 2003 for them to select one Drew Brees from Purdue, after watching him light the Goophers up for 3 years. Good teams draft a QB even when they have one, because nobody knows when that knee is going to get tore up. They would have trophy if they woulda. And it's nice to have good backups, and a trade chip down the road.
Ugghhh! And when Brees had the shoulder surgery and the Chargers picked Rivers, everyone knew Brees was done in SD. I screamed from the rooftops, "Get Brees!! Whatever you have to do. Back the Brinks truck up to his front door. GET HIM!!!"
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

majorm wrote: Ugghhh! And when Brees had the shoulder surgery and the Chargers picked Rivers, everyone knew Brees was done in SD. I screamed from the rooftops, "Get Brees!! Whatever you have to do. Back the Brinks truck up to his front door. GET HIM!!!"
Everyone was scared of that shoulder around the league, I wasn't worried at all. I knew he would be a steal for the Saints. If the Chargers had it to do again, think they woulda went with Carson Palmer 2.0 (Rivers) over Brees?
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

I think a sleeper might actually be Zach Mettenberger from LSU. I live in SEC country and know a good bit about the LSU program and I know up until Les Miles hired Cam Cameron, Miles wouldn't give an OC coordinator much leeway in calling plays and determining offensive game plans. Now that Cam Cameron has come to LSU, someone Miles is very comfortable with, Mettenberger has begun to flourish. He will have a lot of tough games this year. LSU still has to play 5 teams that are currently in the top 25. If he can play well, I think he will move up draft boards as someone to keep an eye on.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I still like Aaron Murray. I guess it depends on where we pick.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

GBFavreFan wrote:What I love reading is how so many of you have such strong opinions about so many QB's as being the guy we HAVE to have. This bodes very well for next year as I take that to mean there are actually a handful of very capable guys and no matter where we land in the 1st round we should end up with someone good. As long as we don't go after any FSU guys who are projected to be 2nd or 3rd rounders ...
Not just FSU. We can't reach. If that means not picking a QB in the first, FINE! Just like I said when we picked Ponder. You CAN'T force the QB position. And passing then picking some middle round "project" isn't going to work either. If we can try to trade up even take the loss and get the guy. Otherwise just suck it up.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

A.J. McCarron looks as good as anyone is we don't get the first few QB picks. Better then Johnny Football. That's the Ponder guy, not A.J. McCarron.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:A.J. McCarron looks as good as anyone is we don't get the first few QB picks. Better then Johnny Football. That's the Ponder guy, not A.J. McCarron.
WHAT about Manziel remotely looks like Christian Ponder? Stats? Winning percentage? Anything? Show me an "expert" that has McCarron ranked above Manziel.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

GBFavreFan wrote: Well said Fox ...
Good grief guys, he has a right to state his opinion. Besides, it was kinda funny. Whew... must be a rough season when people start dissing levity.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Purple Rage
Franchise Player

Post by Purple Rage »

The kid from UCLA is sharp, I also like the Oregon QB. All depends on where we're at an who we keep next yr. I dont think it's a must we go QB 1st or even 2nd rd.....alof of good signal callers coming out. I haven't gave up on Ponder completely yet.....but I'm about 90% we go in another direction. Josh Freeman anyone?
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE!
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

MrPurplenGold wrote:I think a sleeper might actually be Zach Mettenberger from LSU. I live in SEC country and know a good bit about the LSU program and I know up until Les Miles hired Cam Cameron, Miles wouldn't give an OC coordinator much leeway in calling plays and determining offensive game plans. Now that Cam Cameron has come to LSU, someone Miles is very comfortable with, Mettenberger has begun to flourish. He will have a lot of tough games this year. LSU still has to play 5 teams that are currently in the top 25. If he can play well, I think he will move up draft boards as someone to keep an eye on.
What kind of offense do they run?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

GBFavreFan wrote:Another factor is competition. In 2011, everyone was going after QB's (unfortunately the guy we wanted, no one else wanted since they all knew better :() So if there really are a handful of standouts, competition will play a large part. This is how I'm seeing it now in order of probability they go QB at the 2014 draft.

1. Jaguars. Almost a guarantee they go QB. They had zero interest in Florida boys Tim Tebow and Josh Freeman, despite their injured and inept QB staff. They seem very content to stink it up for the best draft position possible. Only snag is if they get #1, since this Clowney kid has seemingly been dubbed the greatest football player of all time by too many "experts" so they might grab him.

2. Cardinals. Palmer is the stopgap, and while Arians is high on their backup Stanton, I would think they'd go QB in the 1st, regardless of how they finish in 2013. And who knows, with "questionable" Mathieu doing so well, maybe they go Manziel?

POSSIBILITIES:
3. Raiders. They don't seem very high on Flynn, and Pryor has this season to prove something, but they seem likely to get their "QB of the future" in the draft. Again, the season is young and both guys will have a chance, but if neither truly breaks through in spectacular fashion, its draft time.

4. Browns. Up until the Week 3 demolition of some NFC North team, the Browns seemed a guarantee to go QB in 2014. But at least for the moment, Hoyer seems to have potential, and he probably has this season to warrant keeping him, but at the least I would think Weeden will not start in 2014 for Cleveland.

Every other team either has their guy, or their "QB of the future" already on roster, or if other teams might be interested in grooming a guy (Chicago), I don't think they'd use a 1st rounder. So we have 2 teams, possibly 4 going after QB's. If Flynn, Pryor, or Hoyer pan out, I think that's good odds for the Vikings to get a very good QB in the 1st round a long as they get someone who is actually projected as a Top 3 QB. (remember Ponder was considered a reach by almost everyone in the world except Spielman.) So I don't see any real benefit in tanking it or a bright side in finishing with a poor record. If we're 4-12 or 10-6 I think we end up with the same guy.
Good line of thought, but some other teams that may be in the running:

Tampa Bay? Depends on if their 3rd Rd choice, Mike Glennon, shows promise this season.

San Diego? Very possible that Rivers' end is in sight, at least w/ the Chargers.

Tennessee? Locker is in an important year. They're less likely to draft QB, but it's possible.