Browns @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

ranskal
Transition Player

Re: Browns @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 3

Post by ranskal »

VikingLord wrote: The Browns field a very good defensive front 7. It's highly under-rated and is every bit as talented as the Lions IMHO.

But all things considered I thought Ponder had time to make plays. It's just he can't. He locks on to his primary target and if that guy isn't open immediately it's off to the races with his legs or a quick checkdown. Doesn't matter the situation. And now that defenses have clamped down hard on AD, it's going to get really ugly. We're going to see what would have happened last year had AD not gone off on a nearly historic rushing campaign.
Ponder didn't play great but you make it sound like he sat back in the pocket and didn't make the plays. He had no time. Look at Peterson's day...the same line that couldn't pass protect couldn't run block either!
Randy
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

ranskal wrote: Big deal...what about the points??
I'm not saying the defense played perfect by any means, but they did make some plays and handed the offense some short fields.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: you are right. How dare we place the blame on our QB. A rookie manages to score the winning drive, but our QB couldn't the drive before. He was as innacurate as can be. And to make things worse, he still checks down for a few 2 yard passes WITH SECONDS LEFT IN THE GAME. But you are right, Ponder isn't to blame, lets blame everyone else.
What rookie? Hoyer is in his 5th year. He spent 3 years in New England. 1 in AZ. Gordon is in his second year, Cameron on his 3rd. There was no rookie scoring points for the Browns today.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleMilk
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PurpleMilk »

The Steelers look to be in complete disarray, and before this game I thought we had a chance to be 2-2 after next week. Now I expect us to lose next week.
ranskal
Transition Player

Post by ranskal »

Purplemania wrote: Exactly. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but perhaps some of these posters do not know the meaning of a passing pocket. No QB is going to be given 5-6 seconds to throw the ball on every play. It's about pocket awareness. It's about utilizing every seconds- 4 seconds should be enough to make a play.
He didn't have a passing pocket! Some posters don't get it...
Randy
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

ranskal wrote: Ponder didn't play great but you make it sound like he sat back in the pocket and didn't make the plays. He had no time. Look at Peterson's day...the same line that couldn't pass protect couldn't run block either!
Well, he made some plays with his legs to score 2 TDs. I'll give him that.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

VikingLord wrote: Well, he made some plays with his legs to score 2 TDs. I'll give him that.
Yes, but he was hired to throw the ball with some degree of efficacy.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

VikingLord wrote: I'm not saying the defense played perfect by any means, but they did make some plays and handed the offense some short fields.
Muffed punt. Clv. 26.
Interception. Clv. 46.
Inteception. Clv. 9.

That's it. Other than those three the Vikings average starting was on their own 23. Of those three, the came out with 10 points.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Im just baffled on how the defense got so terrible when they were pretty good last year.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

JEC334 wrote:Im just baffled on how the defense got so terrible when they were pretty good last year.
Put it this way. If the defense was giving up the points like last year, 21.75 a game. The Vikings would be 3-0.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

ranskal wrote:He didn't have a passing pocket! Some posters don't get it...
I pointed out plenty of plays he left on the field where he did have time and just flat out missed his receiver. In addition to the ones I mentioned, do you recall when he rolled right, fired it down the field and managed to overthrow everyone (including the Browns defender who was the closest person by about 15 yards). The line was bad today, especially Loadholt, so I'm not giving them a pass, I just think it's way more than protection. If you can't hit Webb on the TD or Jennings on the out route to keep the clock moving, that's a key issue. These aren't long bombs or throwing into tight windows, they're relatively pedestrian throws that really need to be made.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Raptorman wrote: Muffed punt. Clv. 26.
Interception. Clv. 46.
Inteception. Clv. 9.

That's it. Other than those three the Vikings average starting was on their own 23. Of those three, the came out with 10 points.
That's it?

You make it sound like that is pretty minor, but for a team at home those short fields should pay off.

Look, if you want to defend Ponder that's cool. And you're right that Ponder wasn't all bad. He never is. I just don't think the guy has what it takes to win consistently in the NFL, and I sincerely hope that the Vikings are making plans on what to do at QB in the offseason, because I personally can't take another year of watching this guy.
ranskal
Transition Player

Post by ranskal »

S197 wrote: I pointed out plenty of plays he left on the field where he did have time and just flat out missed his receiver. In addition to the ones I mentioned, do you recall when he rolled right, fired it down the field and managed to overthrow everyone (including the Browns defender who was the closest person by about 15 yards). The line was bad today, especially Loadholt, so I'm not giving them a pass, I just think it's way more than protection. If you can't hit Webb on the TD or Jennings on the out route to keep the clock moving, that's a key issue. These aren't long bombs or throwing into tight windows, they're relatively pedestrian throws that really need to be made.
I saw 2 or 3 bad throws, including the one he rolled to the right on. Webb should have caught the TD...it hit both of his hands.

I am not saying Ponder is great but for him to take all the blame is pathetic. The defense can't stop anybody, they've proved that for the second straight week where Ponder's led offense gave them a lead, and their O line play is bad...look at Peterson's production. Does AP suck too or is it just Ponder? Geez...
Randy
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Raptorman wrote: What rookie? Hoyer is in his 5th year. He spent 3 years in New England. 1 in AZ. Gordon is in his second year, Cameron on his 3rd. There was no rookie scoring points for the Browns today.
Sorry about the rookie comment. The 3rd frigging string QB with 2 NFL starts. Is that better?
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

The pathetic coaching on both sides of the ball and special teams is the main reason we are 0-3 we are the worst coached team from top to bottom in the league .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock: