Issue with new uniforms

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Issue with new uniforms

Post by Barry »

GBFavreFan wrote:But the real issue is the color of the helmet in relation to the color of the jersey. They're both purple as they should be, yet they are slightly different types of purple.
Slightly? They are completely different colors.
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

For me it's not so much the difference in color between helmet and jersey, we've seen that in prior uniforms, I think they just chose the wrong purple. They should have gone with a much darker purple. A good example is the throwbacks, which I think are far and beyond the best looking jersey the Vikings have had in a while. The helmet and jersey are not the exact same purple but it works because the whole color palate is darker than what they use now. If Nike wanted to go retro, they should have stuck with the retro purple IMO.

Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

GBFavreFan wrote:The pant color scheme looks great in particular
Not sure if I like the stripes on the pants. It's not that big of a deal, but I would have preferred something more symmetric.
and the shoulder stripes, while at first looked plain, I can actually see a design in there that is somewhat horn-like.
Yeah, there's a design. I think it's supposed to be a boat's bow, not a horn. I like the tradition of the stripes, but would have preferred them unadorned.
The number font is at least some sort of style instead of generic numbers, but not quite sure if its cool looking or not.
It's not. It's kind of embarrassing, actually. There are so many other ways to stylize the number fonts - you can see it on many NFL jerseys, from the Broncos to the Ravens, even the Steelers - that you don't have to put little curly-q's on the numbers.
The matte helmet. This is going to take some time because it seems they picked matte just to be different, just for the sake of being different, and I'm not quite sure if it looks cool or plain stupid.
Like you say, just to be different, like the other accents. I think it looks plain stupid and only highlights the color difference between helmet and jersey.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:As for the helmet not matching, it never has, ever. I read something somewhere that it's the same color #/palette for both and always has been it's just how the color takes to the plastic compared to cloth and how the lights hits it.
yep... purple is notoriously tricky in that regard. It's hard to scan accurately too. The color tends to shift toward blue or magenta.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Generally i'm good as long as they're purple and there is a horn on there.

But the numbers are seriously funky.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

I thought I would hate the matte helmet but after seeing it I am OK with it. I also don't mind the color differences either. There have almost always been a difference between helmet and Jersey as others have mentioned. The difference isn't as great as it has been in the past.
I also like the stripes on the sleeves and pants.
What I hate is the numbers! They are awful. They are are stupid looking. They are terrible. They are ridiculous. Am I being clear? I think standard numbers outlined in gold would have been so much better at least. Although I think just plain white would have been best
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

I really don't care that much about how the uniforms look. Purple with yellow, horns on the helmet, fine. If the new look of the uniform was tied to how well they did on the field it would be an issue. But since it's not, just hold on, they will change them again in a year or two down the road.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

This. ^^^^

Just Win!
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

As far as the matte helmets go... that's what it is right now as far as what most younger athletes/fans like. I personally like it too. We won't see many glossy/shiny helmets for a while in the NFL... until the trend changes again.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

yezzir wrote:As far as the matte helmets go... that's what it is right now as far as what most younger athletes/fans like. I personally like it too. We won't see many glossy/shiny helmets for a while in the NFL... until the trend changes again.
What other NFL teams adopted the matte look? And I dont see a lot of college, is there a lot that use it in NCAA?
This space available for rent.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

I'm really digging the purple on purple look.

Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Big thumbs down to the purple on purple. White on purple for the away unis looks great, but I say HELL NO to the Barney look.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Eli wrote:Big thumbs down to the purple on purple. White on purple for the away unis looks great, but I say HELL NO to the Barney look.
Too much purple for ya? No such thing. :D
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

I finally saw some highlights from the game and it appears that the new jersey offers an almost "pastel" version of purple. I was a fan back during the unveiling of the new uniforms, but I hope this doesn't last.

...wisdom through "no purple pastels"
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

indianation65 wrote:I finally saw some highlights from the game and it appears that the new jersey offers an almost "pastel" version of purple. I was a fan back during the unveiling of the new uniforms, but I hope this doesn't last.

...wisdom through "no purple pastels"
I could be wrong, but I think the jersey color is basically the same as the previous two iterations of the uniform, going back to the late 90s. I always thought it was too bright, but it's highly dependent on the lighting and camera.

This doesn't looke 'pastel', does it? (It's also one of the few photos I've seen where the helmet color appears to be close to that of jersey.)

(And does anyone remember when we were discussing the change in the shade of 'gold' to be used on the new uniforms? From what is basically yellow, to a 'gold'? It still looks like yellow to me...)