The Webb experiment is finally over!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: The Webb experiment is finally over!

Post by S197 »

I think Webb has a fairly decent shot at making the roster. Unless one of the UDFA's really step up, his competition is essentially Burton and Childs. Whether or not the Vikings want to commit another roster spot to a highly athletic but project WR is the big question. Given what I've seen out of Burton and the uphill struggle Childs will have, I would actually say Webb could be viewed as the early frontrunner for the #5 WR spot.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Eli wrote:
I don't disagree with your analysis about potential vs. success, but people on this board keep evaluating WR's like Carter, Reed, and Moss are the norm. Look at what a typical number 3 WR gets you in the NFL - the median #3 WR in the league last year, Harry Douglas for Atlanta, had 396 yards in 15 games. Jarius Wright had 310 yards in 7 games in his rookie season - more yardage than Simpson got for us (274), and a yards per game total that would have made him the 5th best #3 WR in the league.

I mean, at some time the stats have to overrule our subjective evaluations. If Wright simply continues at that rate, he'll be incredibly valuable to the Vikings.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote:I think Webb has a fairly decent shot at making the roster. Unless one of the UDFA's really step up, his competition is essentially Burton and Childs. Whether or not the Vikings want to commit another roster spot to a highly athletic but project WR is the big question. Given what I've seen out of Burton and the uphill struggle Childs will have, I would actually say Webb could be viewed as the early frontrunner for the #5 WR spot.
At this point, my gut wants to keep Webb over Burton. Burton hasn't proved anything imo. I don't want Webb as a QB, but given a fair shot at a WR, who knows. Webb brings excitement with him. I always liked his enthusiasm. But none of this matters if it turns out he cant catch. But if he can, what a nice end zone target.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: At this point, my gut wants to keep Webb over Burton. Burton hasn't proved anything imo. I don't want Webb as a QB, but given a fair shot at a WR, who knows. Webb brings excitement with him. I always liked his enthusiasm. But none of this matters if it turns out he cant catch. But if he can, what a nice end zone target.
I agree. Burton seems to be almost more of a wide run-blocker than wide receiver. Not that there is anything wrong with the WRs being good at blocking but they are *receivers* first and foremost. If Webb can present a big target for first downs and in the red zone, that should give him the job.

OTOH, if there is any chance at all that Childs can come back and live up to the potential he showed in college, then Webb has some real competition. But honestly, I'm afraid Childs may never be the same again. That's sad.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

losperros wrote: I agree. Burton seems to be almost more of a wide run-blocker than wide receiver. Not that there is anything wrong with the WRs being good at blocking but they are *receivers* first and foremost. If Webb can present a big target for first downs and in the red zone, that should give him the job.

OTOH, if there is any chance at all that Childs can come back and live up to the potential he showed in college, then Webb has some real competition. But honestly, I'm afraid Childs may never be the same again. That's sad.
As much as I want to see Childs succeed I think he is doomed. That type of injury is really tough to come back from. And if he does, I don't think he makes it the whole year. It would be Viking luck to cut Webb, keep Childs and have Childs knees blow in game 6. Meantime Webb signs with New England and has a fruitful career as a number 3 WR.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Raptorman wrote:Meantime Webb signs with New England and has a fruitful career as a number 3 WR.
Only after they've released Michael Jenkins, following his two 90 catch seasons.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I think Webb has a fairly decent shot at making the roster. Unless one of the UDFA's really step up, his competition is essentially Burton and Childs. Whether or not the Vikings want to commit another roster spot to a highly athletic but project WR is the big question. Given what I've seen out of Burton and the uphill struggle Childs will have, I would actually say Webb could be viewed as the early frontrunner for the #5 WR spot.
You forgot about Chris Summers, who I think has a genuine chance to make the team.

I seriously doubt Webb is the frontrunner for a WR spot over players who have been playing the position for years. He's a good athlete but some of the players he's competing against also have size, speed, leaping ability, etc. He's going to have his work cut out for him.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: You forgot about Chris Summers, who I think has a genuine chance to make the team.

I seriously doubt Webb is the frontrunner for a WR spot over players who have been playing the position for years. He's a good athlete but some of the players he's competing against also have size, speed, leaping ability, etc. He's going to have his work cut out for him.
I throw Summers in with the UDFA's. If I recall, he played a couple of preseason games with the Bears and then was cut. Webb has 3 years in the system, it may not be at WR but he should still know the Vikings offense better than most of the others. He was drafted as a WR and played the position in college, so collectively I think he has a decent shot. Maybe Burton should be the frontrunner as the coaches obviously see something in him but his production leaves much to be desired.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

joe webb should have a unique perspective being a qb. hopefully it will help. he is an excellent athlete. the Vikings can use as many wr prospects as they can get.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I throw Summers in with the UDFA's. If I recall, he played a couple of preseason games with the Bears and then was cut.

Yes, but then he spent a year on the Vikings practice squad, where they were presumably developing him, so that probably puts him further along in his development than the UDFAs. Summers is a small school prospect who was very productive in college and he has good size and speed. I saw him play last preseason and he looked good. I was surprised the Bears waived him. I think he will seriously contend for a roster spot.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:
Yes, but then he spent a year on the Vikings practice squad, where they were presumably developing him, so that probably puts him further along in his development than the UDFAs. Summers is a small school prospect who was very productive in college and he has good size and speed. I saw him play last preseason and he looked good. I was surprised the Bears waived him. I think he will seriously contend for a roster spot.
Good point. I never saw Summers play so I'll defer to you. The kid from FSU looks like another dark horse to make the team. I look forward to seeing how the competition goes.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: Good point. I never saw Summers play so I'll defer to you. The kid from FSU looks like another dark horse to make the team. I look forward to seeing how the competition goes.
It should be interesting! I haven't been very impressed with Burton so I hope he either steps up in a big way or that one of these other receivers can win that roster spot.
Spiderbeavis
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Spiderbeavis »

PacificNorseWest wrote:They didn't cut him? Oh.

*Leaves thread*
Granted, I should have said "Webb QB experiment:...but yeah, I don't even believe in him as a WR. Hope he proves me wrong.
Image "I ain't got time to bleed! Unless it's purple...in which case I can work it in."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

innnnnnterrrreeessstting.
Heard this: Joe Webb has caught everything in workouts. Hands aren't an issue. It's learning everything else. OTAs ramp that up. #Vikings
Interesting competition for 5th WR spot behind (presumably) Jennings, Simpson, Patterson, Wright. Webb, Burton, Summers, maybe Smith in mix.
Tom Pelissero on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

There seem to be players at all levels in the NFL who have truly great hands. Tight ends, especially, right down to the practice squad. These are guys who aren't always very athletic, who don't run fast, and don't always block well. They make it in college and sometimes in the pros because they're big targets and the ball seldom gets by them. Allen Reisner was a great example. Rhett Ellison, from what we saw last year, has great hands. And I've read the same of both fringe players on the Vikings roster, Chase Ford and Colin Anderson. But how many of those guys become great receivers? Takes a LOT more than great hands at this level.