Divisional Playoffs Thread

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Divisional Playoffs Thread

Post by The Breeze »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:You guys see how much time Brady has. Ponder wouldnt knonw what to do with himself with that much time. He has about 1-2 at most. We need a freaking Oline right now.

I don't know if it was you making this same point on the Ponder thread...but I agree. The Viking pass protection is and has been the weakest link on their offense for several years now.

I did see improvement on the OL this year....but it still stinks IMO compared to the 4 teams playing today.

It doesn't matter what caliber WR we get or don't get..... or QB for that matter. If the line doesn't create a decent pocket, plays have to be extended and ad-libbed ala Farve 2009.

When Donovan McRibb says something to the effect that Favre knew he would struggle here, it was the crappy O-line he was talking about and the near death experiences that he would endure. Just like ones TJack, Favre and now Ponder have/are experiencing.

I see lots of hand wringing here about the need for WRs and what not. IMO when/if this group is healthy(forget Childs), they are not as bad as the O-line as far as bad goes. Especially when you throw in Rudolph and the running game as far as making the offense go. They definitely need an outside threat....someone who can stretch the field and find open space for the 1 in 5 times Ponder, or whichever sacrificial lamb we throw out there, has actual time to throw to a WR who actually has time to run an entire route.

And I know WRs coming open and Ponder throwing to a space before the wr breaks, being on the same page and gelling with said WR is huge. And that we lack that for the most part. Look at the Lions...they have a great WR and their QB gets creamed all season long ever since he came into the league.
The best teams have the best lines.

2 cents and such~
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Valhalla wrote: Yeah, and the Niners might have 6 Super Bowl trophies, glad people are happy about that vs. our uh...
Your point? We went from 3-13 to 10-6 (one win of which included the NFC Champs - possibly the NFL champs) and I'm supposed to be depressed because we are one of 31 teams who will not be the Champions this year? (If I misread your thoughts, I apologize, but that's the way I took your post :? )
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

I love the fact that the Falcons and Patriots both lost today.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

viking_guy wrote:I love the fact that the Falcons and Patriots both lost today.
Home field disadvantage apparently.... :wink:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: He's already had a chance (with NE).

Personally, I don't want Moss to get a ring and I don't think I want the 49ers to get their 6th either.
When I read your post it sounded like a 15 year old girl, which is funny because your posts are always so measured, substantial and rational. Is Randy someone that really bugs you? Did you used to like him when he was originally a Viking? I will admit that his antics when here last time were very immature and disappointing, but he was so fun to watch back in the day.

Like most years, when it gets down to 2 or even 4 teams I pretty much don't care who wins.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Loved this tweat by Richard Deitsch of SI, retweated by Geoff Schwartz:

"How drunk are Bunk and McNulty right now?”
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:When I read your post it sounded like a 15 year old girl, which is funny because your posts are always so measured, substantial and rational.
I'd like to think I'm still all of the above. :)
Is Randy someone that really bugs you? Did you used to like him when he was originally a Viking? I will admit that his antics when here last time were very immature and disappointing, but he was so fun to watch back in the day.
Yes, He really bugs me. I liked him in his earliest days as a Viking and I've always appreciated his spectacular playmaking ability but he did things that, as a Vikings fan, I have a very hard time forgiving. His "antics" were aggravating but it was lack of effort on the football field that ultimately led me to dislike him. One play in particular bothered me enough to stop being a Moss fan forever. It occurred at a Vikes/Bears game here in Chicago and I was in attendance. If I remember the circumstances correctly, the Vikes were trailing by one score late in the 4th quarter. They were in a 4th and short situation near mid-field. If I remember correctly, Moss was lined up in the slot (or at least not too wide). The Vikes ran the ball to the side he was on and Moss did nothing. He literally watched an LB go right past him, making no effort to block the defender, and that defender made the tackle. The Vikes didn't convert and they ended up losing the game.

Just to be clear: Moss wasn't beat on the play. He didn't fail to see the defender or miss the block. He just watched the defender run by and made no effort to stop him. It wasn't the last time I saw him fail to give a sincere effort on a play but that play changed my entire perspective on Moss. A player who stands there in a crucial situation and makes no effort to help his team doesn't deserve my support so Moss lost it.

I don't know if you'll consider that a rational reason for not wanting Moss to win a Super Bowl or not. I have more reasons to root for the Ravens than the 49ers anyway. I've never liked the latter much and if I'm going to be cheering for any ex-Viking to get a Super Bowl ring on SB Sunday, I'd rather see Matt Birk win one than Moss (even though I'm not exactly a Bryant McKinnie fan either).
Like most years, when it gets down to 2 or even 4 teams I pretty much don't care who wins.
I usually have a rooting interest. If nothing else, it makes it more fun. :)
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: I'd like to think I'm still all of the above. :)

Including the 15 year old girl???
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Including the 15 year old girl???

:lol: 15 year old TROLL girl...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: :lol: 15 year old TROLL girl...

HAHAHAHAH... :point:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: I'd like to think I'm still all of the above. :)
Yes, He really bugs me. I liked him in his earliest days as a Viking and I've always appreciated his spectacular playmaking ability but he did things that, as a Vikings fan, I have a very hard time forgiving. His "antics" were aggravating but it was lack of effort on the football field that ultimately led me to dislike him. One play in particular bothered me enough to stop being a Moss fan forever. It occurred at a Vikes/Bears game here in Chicago and I was in attendance. If I remember the circumstances correctly, the Vikes were trailing by one score late in the 4th quarter. They were in a 4th and short situation near mid-field. If I remember correctly, Moss was lined up in the slot (or at least not too wide). The Vikes ran the ball to the side he was on and Moss did nothing. He literally watched an LB go right past him, making no effort to block the defender, and that defender made the tackle. The Vikes didn't convert and they ended up losing the game.

Just to be clear: Moss wasn't beat on the play. He didn't fail to see the defender or miss the block. He just watched the defender run by and made no effort to stop him. It wasn't the last time I saw him fail to give a sincere effort on a play but that play changed my entire perspective on Moss. A player who stands there in a crucial situation and makes no effort to help his team doesn't deserve my support so Moss lost it.

I don't know if you'll consider that a rational reason for not wanting Moss to win a Super Bowl or not. I have more reasons to root for the Ravens than the 49ers anyway. I've never liked the latter much and if I'm going to be cheering for any ex-Viking to get a Super Bowl ring on SB Sunday, I'd rather see Matt Birk win one than Moss (even though I'm not exactly a Bryant McKinnie fan either).
I usually have a rooting interest. If nothing else, it makes it more fun. :)

I'm glad to see you took my post the right way, even though I forgot to use an emoticon to express my light tone. :D

Actually, you pretty much convinced me to change my mind about Randy. I lived out of the country for 5 years during his later days w/ the Vikes (1st time around), so I missed things like this. What you described is exactly the type of behavior I have always found detestable in sports, especially when I'm playing. If anyone on my team plays w/o effort, we don't ask them to play next season.

I agree that SF has too many SBs, that's about the only reason I can find for caring who wins now.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I'm glad to see you took my post the right way, even though I forgot to use an emoticon to express my light tone. :D
I respect you so the emoticon wasn't necessary. I knew you weren't trying to be obnoxious.
Actually, you pretty much convinced me to change my mind about Randy. I lived out of the country for 5 years during his later days w/ the Vikes (1st time around), so I missed things like this. What you described is exactly the type of behavior I have always found detestable in sports, especially when I'm playing. If anyone on my team plays w/o effort, we don't ask them to play next season.
We're definitely on the same page. I was a moss fan for quite few years and defended him when many would criticize but when I started seeing him slack off and let his teammates down, I just couldn't be supportive anymore.
I agree that SF has too many SBs, that's about the only reason I can find for caring who wins now.
Whatever works... I always find the Super Bowl more enjoyable when I can choose a rooting interest. This year it's easy because I have soft spot for the Ravens. I was lucky enough to see them win their first Super Bowl in person. My girlfriend at the time won a free, expenses-paid trip to the Super Bowl so we were off to Tampa Bay! The Vikes had just been blown out by the Giants in the conference championship so I wasn't exactly in the mood to cheer for NY. I wore my John Randle Vikings jersey to the game and cheered for the Ravens. It was great fun and the only Super Bowl I've ever attended. Consequently, I like the Ravens.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: I respect you so the emoticon wasn't necessary. I knew you weren't trying to be obnoxious.
We're definitely on the same page. I was a moss fan for quite few years and defended him when many would criticize but when I started seeing him slack off and let his teammates down, I just couldn't be supportive anymore.
Whatever works... I always find the Super Bowl more enjoyable when I can choose a rooting interest. This year it's easy because I have soft spot for the Ravens. I was lucky enough to see them win their first Super Bowl in person. My girlfriend at the time won a free, expenses-paid trip to the Super Bowl so we were off to Tampa Bay! The Vikes had just been blown out by the Giants in the conference championship so I wasn't exactly in the mood to cheer for NY. I wore my John Randle Vikings jersey to the game and cheered for the Ravens. It was great fun and the only Super Bowl I've ever attended. Consequently, I like the Ravens.

Very cool: all paid trip to the SB? That's a nice GF to have! I remember watching that Vikings-Giants game in a restaurant in Southern Mexico. Close friends were visiting from Sweden--one of which was my ex-roommate who knew how much it meant to me. What a let down that game was! Just another chapter in a Russian novel of disappointments. Oh, how they make us suffer!

When I read of these Britons getting behind the Vikings I feel so ambivalent. Part of me feels compelled to say, "you might want to choose another team, because this one will almost certainly let you down." Another part of me thinks it's the coolest thing that someone would make a free-willed choice to follow them.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Very cool: all paid trip to the SB? That's a nice GF to have!

Indeed. She was a great girlfriend and we had a great trip. We even met Roger Craig, who I jokingly referred to as "former Viking Roger Craig".

It's almost sadistic... or maybe us fans are masochists?

So, you mentioned that you were in Mexico and you mentioned friends from Sweden... when you were out the country for 5 years, were you living in one of those places?
I know what you mean. There's a part of me that wants to say "Wait! Do you truly understand the level of heartbreak you might be setting yourself up to experience?" However, it's very cool that they've chosen to be Vikes fans.