Vikings VS Packers Predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings VS Packers Predictions

Post by Mothman »

Sinatra wrote: Actually, that's exactly what I'd say he was. When 174 yards and a touchdown is cause for rejoicing, that just serves to illustrate how dire the Vikings' QB situation is. For point of reference, the Houston pass defense is ranked 16th. That's a middle-of-the-road pass defense.
A touchdown isn't a factor in the outcome of a game? That's an odd perspective. Nobody said Ponder's performance was cause for rejoicing but to say he was a non-factor or liability in the game is a position so extreme that it undermines your credibility. When the QB goes 3-for-3 on the opening drive and leads the team to a TD and an early lead on the road against a quality opponent, that alone makes him a factor in the game... and Ponder did more than that on Sunday.
Sinatra wrote: And yet Vikings fans are optimistic because of one good game last week. Essentially, a one game trend. So that argument swings both ways.
I'd say it's more likely that Vikings fans are optimistic because the team is on a 3 game winning streak and blew out their last two opponents.
I'm not selling the Vikings short. I've been spot-on about them all year. When they were 4-1 and 5-2, I said they were going to regress and would be fortunate to even make the playoffs. And I was right -- they've gone 4-4 since and have to win next week against a team they haven't beat in three years to make the playoffs.
Don't strain your arm patting yourself on the back...

Jim
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It's all a question of which Vikings team shows up. They've been very good, they've been very bad; bottom line is that they're inconsistant.

However, that is mainly a problem of having so many young inexperienced guys on the team in key positions. Is this Vikings team gelling and gaining steam at the most important time of the year or were the last three games and especially the Houston victory a flash in the pan?

That defensive effort sure didn't seem like a fluke to me. Peterson consistantly being the best RB in the league doesn't seem like a fluke to me either and those are what this team is built on. Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see but it seems like this team is currently playing up to the vision that Frazier has had for them all along.

Can Ponder continue to keep errors down and convert 3rd downs On the 23rd ranked Green Bay defense at home? Does he build on the last games performance or take a step back like he has done in the past?

Last week's Vikings team is better than the Packers. The question is will last week's Vikings team show up?
sdranger
Rookie

Post by sdranger »

What it comes down to is the first qtr of the game. If our defense gets after AR and our safeties light up their receivers I think they start thinking playoffs and injuries. Fully confident of a playoff victory over us.

Add into it AD's motivation and the crowd it could be a long day for the Packers.

Vikings 30
Packers 17
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

Really jumping the gun here but if we win, that guarantees a rematch in the wildcard round correct?

And if we lose, and the Bears win (they should), the Packers would play the Bears. I would bet they would much rather handle the Bears for the 3rd time than play us for a 3rd time. That could/should be some extra motivation for them to pull out all the stops.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

TheCoolerOne wrote:Really jumping the gun here but if we win, that guarantees a rematch in the wildcard round correct?

And if we lose, and the Bears win (they should), the Packers would play the Bears. I would bet they would much rather handle the Bears for the 3rd time than play us for a 3rd time. That could/should be some extra motivation for them to pull out all the stops.
I believe if the Packers win they would have the first round bye and not play the Bears next week. If we win we should play the packers next week, unless both Seattle and the 49ers lose, in which case we would play the 49ers and the packers would get the first round bye.
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

Purple Domination wrote: I believe if the Packers win they would have the first round bye and not play the Bears next week. If we win we should play the packers next week, unless both Seattle and the 49ers lose, in which case we would play the 49ers and the packers would get the first round bye.
Ah, yes. You're corrrect. Well either way, they're playing for the bye. Then again, Houston was playing for the No.1 seed and they coulda fooled me.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

Yes, I can see the Vikings winning this game on a 50+ yard field goal by Walsh in the waning seconds of the game, either to tie the score or win the game (and Walsh hits it in OT to win too).

About the 'trend' it's 2 years which is hardly a lot and we are a different team than last year; our guys have improved and we picked up promising, good players (Kalil, smith, walsh).
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

fiestavike wrote:unfortunately I expect to lose on the last play, like so many of our seasons have ended before :(
:?: :?:

Not sure I know what you mean. I guess technically, any game lost is lost on the last play? :confused:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Just Me wrote: :?: :?:

Not sure I know what you mean. I guess technically, any game lost is lost on the last play? :confused:
I'm pretty sure he means something like the if the Vikings were up by 6 points and Rodgers threw a hail mary touch down on the last play of the game to win it.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I think we beat the pack in the dome, then it's a snowy and nasty day in gb and we beat them in the playoffs too :)
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

fiestavike wrote:I was thinking of 1975, 1998, 2003, 2009...getting eliminated from the playoffs on the last play of the game and sending me into a volcanic meltdown seems to be something this team excels at.
I get '75' - Pearson pushed off and we lose on the last play (more or less).

'98'? We went to overtime. We hard our shots in OT as well. Since it's sudden death, then yes - It will be the last play of the game, I suppose. Not sure I equate that the same as '75'. Da Knee and a suspect defense made the difference there (giving up the tieing score late in the game. He always was a terrible coach in the playoffs and he proved it once again.

2003? OK. 4th and 4-ever and the defense chokes to eliminate us from playoff contention. Our defense fails again. (This was the year I was thinking of when I think of 'losing on the last play of the game)

2009? Again OT (see '98'). Defense is holding the bag again.

Even if I concede all 4 years fit (I'll be generous and say that's the case) - That's hardly "many of our seasons." I don't think the game is going to be all that close. I think the Vikings will win this one with a 'decent' margin of victory. The re-match next week? That'll be another story. I could be wrong, but we'll see...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Blair Walsh=32 out of 35
Mason Crosby=19 out of 32

That is relevant. Mason Crosby has missed at least 1 field goal in 5 of his last 6 games.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote:It's all a question of which Vikings team shows up. They've been very good, they've been very bad; bottom line is that they're inconsistant.

However, that is mainly a problem of having so many young inexperienced guys on the team in key positions. Is this Vikings team gelling and gaining steam at the most important time of the year or were the last three games and especially the Houston victory a flash in the pan?

That defensive effort sure didn't seem like a fluke to me. Peterson consistantly being the best RB in the league doesn't seem like a fluke to me either and those are what this team is built on. Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see but it seems like this team is currently playing up to the vision that Frazier has had for them all along.

Can Ponder continue to keep errors down and convert 3rd downs On the 23rd ranked Green Bay defense at home? Does he build on the last games performance or take a step back like he has done in the past?

Last week's Vikings team is better than the Packers. The question is will last week's Vikings team show up?
Excellent post.

Here's the difference, to me, in the inconsistency thing -- the past three weeks, the Vikings seem to have found their stride. They know who and what they are, and they're playing to it.

And in each of the past three weeks, it's been fairly apparent to me within the first five minutes of the game that the Vikings were the better team on the field. Even against Houston.

So I think if the trend continues for the Vikings, they'll win this game. Green Bay is too soft defensively, and they can't run the ball.

I also think AD is going to make a serious run at the record. Don't know if he can get there -- 208 is a lot of yards. But I think he's going to get very close, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he gets it.

Vikings 31, Packers 21.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Browner
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Browner »

Football has to be week by week to try and predict anything...So I'm not even gonna attempt to predict anything after this week. If you were to tell me that we would make the playoffs if we won the last game of the season after losing to Green Bay a few weeks ago, I would have told you that you were out of your mind. We had to beat the Bears-We did...Had to beat the Rams-we did.........Had to beat the Texans-we did....Heck I remember thinking after the Green Bay loss, "I wonder where we will draft for next season"?.....In any sport you want to be playing your best at the end of the season. That's what the Vikes are doing right now...You can't tell me the Packers aren't some what skeptical to play us at OUR HOUSE! I would not want to play us at this point in the season. Defense is coming off a great performance....Ponder is due for a 250 + yard game. What better time to do it than at home?! AP is licking his chops! The kicking game is going to be a big factor and Crosby has been kicking like Bing and not the Mason of the past. Allen always has a career day against the Pack. It is going to be electric in the Dome and we already have a 9-0 lead just on the game being played at home. Never mind next week and what happens the first round of the playoffs...We have been on a play off run for three weeks now and answered the bell everytime. SO VIKING FANS ENJOY IT...THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT...WE HAVE SOMETHING TO PLAY FOR THIS SEASON. HELLUVA LOT FUNNER THAT LAST YEAR!! WHEN THE DUST SETTLES THIS WEEK-END IN MINNEAPOLIS THERE WILL BE SLICED AND COTTAGE CHEESE EVERY WHERE! SKOOOOOOL VIKINGS
After 50 years.......Aren't we due????
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

How great would it have been to have a healthy Harvin going into this crucial game. What a difference maker he is. That really sucks :cry:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.