2019 Roster Moves and Transactions Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2019 Roster Moves and Transactions Thread

Post by CharVike »

cogitator wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:32 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:46 pm The Vikings just signed...

JOSH DOCTSON!?!
When the team that is most familiar with a player cuts him, you figure they know something. I don't think these moves work out too often. Not never, but not often.
Yes they know he blows and will amount to nothing. I'm sure he was offered up for trade but no team would give up anything. But we needed a body. I think he's better than Treadwell. Which doesn't really mean much.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

CharVike wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:07 am
cogitator wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:32 pm

When the team that is most familiar with a player cuts him, you figure they know something. I don't think these moves work out too often. Not never, but not often.
Yes they know he blows and will amount to nothing. I'm sure he was offered up for trade but no team would give up anything. But we needed a body. I think he's better than Treadwell. Which doesn't really mean much.
Laquon Treadwell Stats:

2016: 1, 15y, 15ypc
2017: 20, 200y, 10ypc, 1 Fumble
2018: 32, 302, 1TD, 8.6ypc

Total: 56, 517, 1TD, 9.2ypc, 1 Fumble

Josh Doctson Stats:

2017: 2, 66y, 33ypc
2018: 35, 502y, 6TD, 14.3ypc
2019: 44, 532y, 2TD, 12.1ypc

Total: 81, 1,100y, 8 TDs 13.6ypc, 0 Fumbles

Saying he's better than Treadwell actually means a lot statistically. Why? Because unlike Treadwell, he's perfect WR3 material. He's the third/fourth option on Kirk's reads after Thielen, Diggs, and occasionally Rudolph. So no, he won't amount to nothing, his purpose is to be another weapon for Kirk to use with impunity while Diggs and Thielen are both double covered... Think about this:

If Thielen and Diggs are double covered by their corner and safeties, that's 4 people taken out of the play. Add the 3/4 defensive linemen who's job is to get to Cousins, that's 8 of 11 people occupied. If a Tight End is on the play, then he'll be covered up by one of the Linebackers. 9/11 people occupied. One of the Linebackers/Cornerbacks will be occupied taking Cook out of the play. All Doctson needs to do is beat his respective Cornerback/Linebacker and get separation and Kirk throws to him. Mind you, this is not taking into account blitzes or any sort of sneak play on the Defense. This is if the defense goes Base 4-3/3-4/Nickel

In other words, Doctson will fill the Aldrick Robinson role. He's not going to be starting over Diggs or Thielen at all, and that's the way he should be used, as a slot/third receiving option.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:37 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:07 am
Laquon Treadwell Stats:

Josh Doctson Stats:

Saying he's better than Treadwell actually means a lot statistically. Why? Because unlike Treadwell, he's perfect WR3 material. He's the third/fourth option on Kirk's reads after Thielen, Diggs, and occasionally Rudolph. So no, he won't amount to nothing, his purpose is to be another weapon for Kirk to use with impunity while Diggs and Thielen are both double covered... Think about this:

If Thielen and Diggs are double covered by their corner and safeties, that's 4 people taken out of the play. Add the 3/4 defensive linemen who's job is to get to Cousins, that's 8 of 11 people occupied. If a Tight End is on the play, then he'll be covered up by one of the Linebackers. 9/11 people occupied. One of the Linebackers/Cornerbacks will be occupied taking Cook out of the play. All Doctson needs to do is beat his respective Cornerback/Linebacker and get separation and Kirk throws to him. Mind you, this is not taking into account blitzes or any sort of sneak play on the Defense. This is if the defense goes Base 4-3/3-4/Nickel

In other words, Doctson will fill the Aldrick Robinson role. He's not going to be starting over Diggs or Thielen at all, and that's the way he should be used, as a slot/third receiving option.
They needed a body. Now that Diggs has a hammy issue they may need him sooner than later.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:30 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:37 am

Laquon Treadwell Stats:

Josh Doctson Stats:

They needed a body. Now that Diggs has a hammy issue they may need him sooner than later.
OK, so it's Zimmer talking to the media, which means it might be true or it might be some lesser shade of true.

But Zimmer said Diggs was limited at practice for precautionary reasons. He made it sound like it wasn't a big deal.

Of course, any time a major WR has a hamstring issue, no matter how mild, it's a matter for concern.

Just trying to stay optimistic.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Kapp said it for me. Of all the things for an elite WR to deal with a hammy issue is bad news. Kinda like plantar fasciitis. No matter how you try and baby it, treat it and take care of it, it's just one move away from grabbing a hold of ya and letting u know its there.
Hamstring issues can end up being an all season nagging issue and it gas me worried.
WHY does it have to be Diggs.. not that moron that the Patriots just signed???
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Diggs has a history of missing time. You guys are right that a hammy could be a year long thing. This is a major problem for us because we have nothing behind him. Of course you won't have a super star behind him but the cupboard has nothing in it a this point. I don't even want to hear about Beebe. He's not at an NFL level. No size, speed and his hands are pedestrian at best. It makes me wonder if Diggs was worth that monster contract. Don't you have to play? Adam will suite up every week so yes he was worth the contract. Even Cousins suites up every week. But if we go in with Adam and Beebe it could be ugly. There isn't a QB alive that could make that work. Who will stretch the field? Teams will have the LOS stacked. That's why I like having a game breaker on the outside. You better keep a safety deep or it's good night. That opens up everything. Diggs is close to that. On a high note we will pound the rock so it might not matter anyway. Throw some dump offs and pound the ball against a stacked LOS. Cook could break off a few big ones if he gets a crease. But there will be many no gains because Cook, who is dam good, isn't a monster that can carry it 30 times and punish the DL/LB. That's more like a L Bell type of back. Or an E Campbell. Time will tell.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:30 am Kapp said it for me. Of all the things for an elite WR to deal with a hammy issue is bad news. Kinda like plantar fasciitis. No matter how you try and baby it, treat it and take care of it, it's just one move away from grabbing a hold of ya and letting u know its there.
Hamstring issues can end up being an all season nagging issue and it gas me worried.
WHY does it have to be Diggs.. not that moron that the Patriots just signed???
I cannot BELIEVE that New England ended up with Antonio Brown.

Actually, I can believe it. It's looking like the Patriots may have had this planned all along.
NBC Sports wrote:Suspicions grow that Antonio Brown to the Patriots didn’t happen out of the blue on Saturday
Article.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The angst over releasing Brett Jones was perhaps premature.
After recently releasing him to make room for Josh Doctson on the roster, the Minnesota Vikings are expected to re-sign offensive lineman Brett Jones this week.
Article.

According to the article, the Vikings didn't even clean out Jones' locker, so it looks like the plan all along was to resign him.

There are other sources quoting the same thing, but it appears I've reached my limit with the Strib and the PP websites. Cheap #$&%@s!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:24 pm The angst over releasing Brett Jones was perhaps premature.
After recently releasing him to make room for Josh Doctson on the roster, the Minnesota Vikings are expected to re-sign offensive lineman Brett Jones this week.
Article.

According to the article, the Vikings didn't even clean out Jones' locker, so it looks like the plan all along was to resign him.

There are other sources quoting the same thing, but it appears I've reached my limit with the Strib and the PP websites. Cheap #$&%@s!
If it ends up happening I'm wondering whether they did it so they didn't have to guarantee his contract. If so, I think that's not the greatest look for the front office, especially since I thought he had signed for the vet minimum or close to it. I'm glad that he will be back, but I can't help to think that I'd be a little salty if I was Jones.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

MikethePurple wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:01 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:24 pm The angst over releasing Brett Jones was perhaps premature.

Article.

If it ends up happening I'm wondering whether they did it so they didn't have to guarantee his contract. If so, I think that's not the greatest look for the front office, especially since I thought he had signed for the vet minimum or close to it. I'm glad that he will be back, but I can't help to think that I'd be a little salty if I was Jones.
I'd imagine they would talk to Jones ahead of time and see if he was willing to be cut and resigned for less so the Vikings have a viable third reciever.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:27 pm
MikethePurple wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:01 pm

I'd imagine they would talk to Jones ahead of time and see if he was willing to be cut and resigned for less so the Vikings have a viable third reciever.
I'd hope so. I feel like this front office has been pretty straight up with most players and been relatively fair in what is a pretty cutthroat business, so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially if he comes back. But still, a little less savory for my taste. But I also have a tough time bargaining when I visit countries where it is a normal daily routine, so it could just be my own view on that sort of thing.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Well he's baaack! My best guess is they didn't think Dillon would make it through waivers so they decided to cut Jones? Glad he's back to provide some depth and insurance policy.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... on-dillon/
The Vikings waived tight end Brandon Dillon in a corresponding move. He played seven offensive snaps in Sunday’s opener.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

MikethePurple wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:19 pm Well he's baaack! My best guess is they didn't think Dillon would make it through waivers so they decided to cut Jones? Glad he's back to provide some depth and insurance policy.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... on-dillon/
The Vikings waived tight end Brandon Dillon in a corresponding move. He played seven offensive snaps in Sunday’s opener.
If Dillon clears waivers he will be on the practice squad tomorrow.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Josh Doctson to the IR with a hamstring issue.

Can we pick 'em, or what?

In other news, kicker-punter sensation Kaare Vedvik lasted exactly one game with the Jets, who waived him on Wednesday after stinking it up against the Bills. Funny, but he stunk it up against the Bills for the Vikings, as well. It must be the Bills!

I can't verify it, but I'm guessing Vedvik is the first kicker in NFL history that a team gave up a draft pick for, waived, and then got waived again within two weeks.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:54 pm Josh Doctson to the IR with a hamstring issue.

Can we pick 'em, or what?
Yea we can! :rock:

But I guess it's the vikings so I expect nothing less. :wallbang: