2014 Free Agent Tracker & Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2014 Free Agent Tracker & Discussion

Post by Funkytown »

Cliff wrote:If the front office ends up getting Williams at a bargain price he'd be a valuable backup, I think. Not having to actually start might allow him to play well when he does have to come in. I don't see a problem with it.
Exactly. And he said he's okay with being a rotational player at this point in his career. The move wouldn't be crazy.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:If the front office ends up getting Williams at a bargain price he'd be a valuable backup, I think. Not having to actually start might allow him to play well when he does have to come in. I don't see a problem with it.
I don't either, especially since he still seems capable of making a valuable contribution. Heck, I thought his performance in the second half against the Redskins last year was one of the main reasons the Vikings won that game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I'm fine if Williams is back. Who's he taking snaps/a roster spot from? 30 year olds Fred Evans and Tom Johnson? Camp fodder such as Isiame Faciane, Kheeston Randal and Chase Baker? Who are dime a dozen players.

Some might say Shamar Stephen but I doubt he was gonna see much playing time anyway this year.

34 year Williams is still better than all those players. The only complaint would be if he takes significant PT away from Floyd.

... and if that happens, I doubt it would be complaint-worthy because it would probably mean Floyd had played himself out of those minutes...
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

I would agree with the sentiment that we are rebuilding. In rebuilding mode you are seeking upside, aka young players. So the back and forth about keeping older talented players is a no brainer. Get young. Get talent.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

GoldenBear91 wrote:I would agree with the sentiment that we are rebuilding. In rebuilding mode you are seeking upside, aka young players. So the back and forth about keeping older talented players is a no brainer. Get young. Get talent.
... and absolutely nothing else?

It's possible to take a concept like rebuilding to an extreme. A rebuilding team doesn't need to field a roster of nothing but players in their 20s. In fact, Kevin Williams, a tackle who has had a terrific NFL career, might actually be able to impart some hard-earned wisdom to younger players that will help them in their development, all while actually making a valuable contribution on the field.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

GoldenBear91 wrote:I would agree with the sentiment that we are rebuilding. In rebuilding mode you are seeking upside, aka young players. So the back and forth about keeping older talented players is a no brainer. Get young. Get talent.
I'm glad you are not the Vikings GM.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: ... and absolutely nothing else?

It's possible to take a concept like rebuilding to an extreme. A rebuilding team doesn't need to field a roster of nothing but players in their 20s. In fact, Kevin Williams, a tackle who has had a terrific NFL career, might actually be able to impart some hard-earned wisdom to younger players that will help them in their development, all while actually making a valuable contribution on the field.

Exactly. It's pathetic that some want youth only. that isn't rebuilding. That's just stupid.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I'm glad you are not the Vikings GM.
Sounds like a Packer fan when Ted Thompson had the youngest team in the NFL, and refused to sign Moss. Huh, not too long after...super bowl. Coincidence? Nope. A mindset NFL GMs need to have success.

The rebuild might be further along, and the defense not in shambles, if the previous coaches had started getting younger players involved more, we might have one or two that showed they could play. Instead they sit on the bench and never get a shot. While special teamers like Mitchell, or guys with no future on the team like Felony and Bishop eat up snaps.

Let coaches coach, and players play, and maybe we can find a player or two who can contribute for the next decade, instead of trotting washed up has beens back out there so get a few more tackles in a .500 season! Our coaches should be able to impart all the wisdom these young guys need, if not they shouldn't have their jobs!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Demi wrote: Sounds like a Packer fan when Ted Thompson had the youngest team in the NFL, and refused to sign Moss. Huh, not too long after...super bowl. Coincidence? Nope. A mindset NFL GMs need to have success.

The rebuild might be further along, and the defense not in shambles, if the previous coaches had started getting younger players involved more, we might have one or two that showed they could play. Instead they sit on the bench and never get a shot. While special teamers like Mitchell, or guys with no future on the team like Felony and Bishop eat up snaps.

Let coaches coach, and players play, and maybe we can find a player or two who can contribute for the next decade, instead of trotting washed up has beens back out there so get a few more tackles in a .500 season! Our coaches should be able to impart all the wisdom these young guys need, if not they shouldn't have their jobs!
I get it, but we can't have all players under 25. Signing Williams will not hurt this team unless they overpay or something.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:The rebuild might be further along, and the defense not in shambles, if the previous coaches had started getting younger players involved more, we might have one or two that showed they could play. Instead they sit on the bench and never get a shot. While special teamers like Mitchell, or guys with no future on the team like Felony and Bishop eat up snaps.
Over the last 3 seasons, all of the Vikings picks from the first 3 rounds of the draft saw significant playing time in their rookie seasons. Are the coaches just supposed to insert the entire rookie class into the starting lineup for 16 games each season until they decide they're done rebuilding?
Let coaches coach, and players play, and maybe we can find a player or two who can contribute for the next decade, instead of trotting washed up has beens back out there so get a few more tackles in a .500 season!
... and yet you wanted them to sign Urlacher. :rofl:

Part of "letting coaches coach" is allowing them to make decisions based on what they see from their players from day to day and not just inserting players into the lineup in order of ascending age.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Signing Williams would discredit everything the Vikings are doing with this rebuilding phase. Yeah sure, let's say Kevin Williams is better than the younger guys on the roster, it doesn't do the team any good. If we were a super bowl caliber team then I understand getting a vet rather than trying to get a younger guy up to speed. However, we are most likely not that talented yet, so getting Williams at this point will only delay future development of younger players who will probably still be in the NFL when Williams retire. Melanie said trust the coaches. With that being said, we should trust the coaches. Trust the coaches enough to believe that they can develop the younger talent, rather than getting some old man who is clearly past his prime. For too long this team's problem has been depending too much on veterans than developing more talent. That's why the QB position has been messed up for so long. Brad Johnson, Gus Ferotte, Brett Favre, Donnavan McNabb. Instead of developing a player we keep falling for these vets and we become a "one and done" team. Why else are we making a deep playoff run one season and back to looking like a bottom .500 team the following year? Lack of development, and depending too much on washed up vets.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

King James wrote:Signing Williams would discredit everything the Vikings are doing with this rebuilding phase

So, the new coaching staff, the idea of developing Bridgewater into their future starter at QB, the drafting of players like Patterson, Rhodes, Barr, Floyd, Smith, Rudolph, etc. over the last 3 years, the team's goal of becoming a consistent winner would ALL be discredited if the Vikings were to sign Williams to a contract?
Yeah sure, let's say Kevin Williams is better than the younger guys on the roster, it doesn't do the team any good.
How does that not do the team any good? It could help them win games and Williams is a veteran who can provide leadership in the locker room (not to mention the fact that he can still play)..
If we were a super bowl caliber team then I understand getting a vet rather than trying to get a younger guy up to speed. However, we are most likely not that talented yet, so getting Williams at this point will only delay future development of younger players who will probably still be in the NFL when Williams retire.
Does that mean they should cut Matt Cassel, then? He's in his 30s and the Vikings don't appear to be a Super Bowl caliber team yet so his presence is only delaying Bridgewater's future development. What about brian Robison and Greg Jennings?

Seriously, signing Kevin Williams isn't likely to delay the development of some valuable young tackle that will be a key part of the Vikings future. Who would he be holding back and how?
Melanie said trust the coaches. With that being said, we should trust the coaches. Trust the coaches enough to believe that they can develop the younger talent, rather than getting some old man who is clearly past his prime.
A 33 year old man is not an "old man" and if we're going to "trust the coaches" then let's trust them. If Zimmer ends up feeling Kevin Williams is worth adding to his team, why not give him the benefit of the doubt? We know Williams can play and Zimmer and Spielman are reportedly working closely this offseason. If the Vikings are expressing an interest in Williams, I assume Zimmer is interested, not just Spielman.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Mothman wrote: So, the new coaching staff, the idea of developing Bridgewater into their future starter at QB, the drafting of players like Patterson, Rhodes, Barr, Floyd, Smith, Rudolph, etc. over the last 3 years, the team's goal of becoming a consistent winner would ALL be discredited if the Vikings were to sign Williams to a contract?
It would discredit the rebuilding phase. Spielman said he wants to get younger. Resigning a aging guy who has clearly lost his edge over rookies who still need work but have a lot of upside, is bad. That basically tells us that the staff don't have much faith in the younger guys at that position.
How does that not do the team any good? It could help them win games and Williams is a veteran who can provide leadership in the locker room (not to mention the fact that he can still play)..
In the long run, it won't do the team any good. Maybe a season but I'm thinking long-term. As for a leader, we will have that in Brian Robison. Williams had his chance to be a leader during the last regime, along with Jared Allen. Now we allowed both of them to walk. Why? Because they are clearly past their prime. Well I think Jared Allen still has couple of years left in the tank. It's time for Brian Robison, even though he will probably never be as good as Allen and Williams were in their prime, to show that he can provide leadership in the locker-room. Even Everson Griffen can step up into the leadership role, he's been here for a while.
Does that mean they should cut Matt Cassel, then? He's in his 30s and the Vikings don't appear to be a Super Bowl caliber team yet so his presence is only delaying Bridgewater's future development. What about brian Robison and Greg Jennings?
Nice try. :lol: Matt Cassel was signed because all we had was Ponder on the roster at the time and there was no guarantee on who we were drafting at QB. Plus no one knows who is getting the starting job. Bridgewater could still possibly start over Cassel and if he did and got hurt, I would want Cassel over Ponder. The QB position is much different than other positions, it's very hard to compare. Bridgewater may need a season or two to get comfortable with the playbook. And I don't think any of us want to see Ponder starting as Bridgewater is benched, so Cassel is safe. Cassel still has enough in the tank to help this team as a starter, Williams does not.
Seriously, signing Kevin Williams isn't likely to delay the development of some valuable young tackle that will be a key part of the Vikings future. Who would he be holding back and how?
Sharif Floyd. We don't really know what we have in him yet because he shared snaps with Williams last season. I know if Williams were to come back, that he probably most likely wouldn't just ride the bench all day and would probably take some snaps away from Floyd.

A 33 year old man is not an "old man" and if we're going to "trust the coaches" then let's trust them. If Zimmer ends up feeling Kevin Williams is worth adding to his team, why not give him the benefit of the doubt? We know Williams can play and Zimmer and Spielman are reportedly working closely this offseason. If the Vikings are expressing an interest in Williams, I assume Zimmer is interested, not just Spielman.
If they do invest in Williams, I wont be mad. That's his future on the line. He better hope it was the right decision.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

King James wrote:In the long run, it won't do the team any good. Maybe a season but I'm thinking long-term.
They're probably not going to sign Kevin Williams to a long-term contract at his age.
Nice try. :lol: Matt Cassel was signed because all we had was Ponder on the roster at the time and there was no guarantee on who we were drafting at QB. Plus no one knows who is getting the starting job.
Yes, but he is now a roadblock to getting a younger QB on the field and as a 32 year old player, an affront to the team's rebuilding effort. ;)
Cassel still has enough in the tank to help this team as a starter, Williams does not.
Who is talking about re-signing Williams to start? It sounds like he understands he would be a rotational player at this point in his career and if the Vikings re-signed him, that's almost certainly how he would be used.
Sharif Floyd. We don't really know what we have in him yet because he shared snaps with Williams last season. I know if Williams were to come back, that he probably most likely wouldn't just ride the bench all day and would probably take some snaps away from Floyd.
That's fine and I seriously doubt he would take enough snaps away from Floyd to be a serious hindrance to his development. A defensive line player is often better served by getting some snaps off anyway because they have a physically demanding role and they can get worn out over the course of a game. I'm under the impression that Zimmer likes to rotate his defensive linemen so somebody will probably be taking snaps away from Floyd, whether it's Williams or not.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

In my closing statement on this Kevin Williams topic, if Zimmer signs Kevin Williams then I am okay with it. Would I like it, probably not but maybe the coaches would have seen something that I didn't see. If the coaches think they need another vet to play a situation role rather than letting one of the younger guys develop into that position, then that's his choice, their the coaches. Whether I like it or not my opinion won't change anything.