2019 Roster Moves and Transactions Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Re: 2019 Roster Moves and Transactions Thread

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

Raptorman wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:45 am
Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:42 am

As long as he is a 3 or 4, preferably 4. Several knocks on him in Washington was injury, lack of desire, effort vs just not the player they thought he was from college.

Injury? He had one as far as anyone knows, but there was a bit of eyebrow raising from coaches. For whatever that means.

Since healthy, no production. People questioned whether he wanted to even be there. Of course, its Washington, with Potsie Webber for an owner and the Prince of Darkness as GM, who would? See Kirk, Trent. The list is long.

He just looks on the field like a guy who's heart just isn't in it. Or he was really not that good from the beginning. Either way he is a Treadwell level bust. But if he is a 4, he has a lot of physical ability. Don't see the harm in that.
Well, he was stuck in Washington, could anyone really blame him?
Nope
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:50 pm Seriously, though...who got cut with the Doctson move? :lol:

Haven't seen anything.
They cut Brett Jones :wallbang: From what I had read, he had been performing well in camp and preseason. I really don't understand how cutting a veteran back-up to take your O-line number down to 8 players for a wide receiver is a good idea. I actually liked the news of signing Doctson, but to cut Jones rather than someone like Brandon Dillon doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They really better hope that the O-line stays healthy and plays well or this could be deja vu for what, the 4th year in a row?
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

MikethePurple wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:47 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:50 pm Seriously, though...who got cut with the Doctson move? :lol:

Haven't seen anything.
They cut Brett Jones :wallbang: From what I had read, he had been performing well in camp and preseason. I really don't understand how cutting a veteran back-up to take your O-line number down to 8 players for a wide receiver is a good idea. I actually liked the news of signing Doctson, but to cut Jones rather than someone like Brandon Dillon doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They really better hope that the O-line stays healthy and plays well or this could be deja vu for what, the 4th year in a row?
I wish today was April 1st and this is a joke. So we cut an O lineman who can fill in at C or G if needed , and it is the weakest part of our team. I try and go with the hey Zim and Slick Rick know alot more than us, but this whole kicker/punter/ holder fiasco and now this has me scratching my head..
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:00 pm

I wish today was April 1st and this is a joke. So we cut an O lineman who can fill in at C or G if needed , and it is the weakest part of our team. I try and go with the hey Zim and Slick Rick know alot more than us, but this whole kicker/punter/ holder fiasco and now this has me scratching my head..
I really don’t understand why they would cut Jones. This just makes zero sense to me. I get we want “2 TE sets” but we still have Rudy, Smith and Conklin. And Morgan will eventually be back. So why would we not cut Brandon Dillon?! And keep Jones?! This one baffles me
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I don't know why the Vikings kept 4 TEs. I'm assuming Dillion is a placeholder until Morgan comes back. Maybe someone knows more than I do on this, but outside of Morgan how are we rating these guys as blockers?

I'm still not sold on bringing Rudy back...especially on a 4 year deal, but I hope he plays well this season.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:21 pm I don't know why the Vikings kept 4 TEs. I'm assuming Dillion is a placeholder until Morgan comes back. Maybe someone knows more than I do on this, but outside of Morgan how are we rating these guys as blockers?

I'm still not sold on bringing Rudy back...especially on a 4 year deal, but I hope he plays well this season.
I don't either, especially now with 5 WRs. Do they still have 5 RBs..?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
The negotiator
Backup

Post by The negotiator »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:18 pm
Raptorman wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:45 am

Well, he was stuck in Washington, could anyone really blame him?
Nope
Great post FSL and totally on point.
I would think Kirk had some input on this. He knows who he would rather throw to. Josh can go up and get the ball with his size and athleticism, but he doesn’t always show up and he has a tendency to cough up the ball.
No one questions his talent, only his heart.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The negotiator wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:24 pm
Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:18 pm
Nope
Great post FSL and totally on point.
I would think Kirk had some input on this. He knows who he would rather throw to. Josh can go up and get the ball with his size and athleticism, but he doesn’t always show up and he has a tendency to cough up the ball.
No one questions his talent, only his heart.
They needed another WR and I figured they would sign a vet. At least Cousins knows him. That's worth something. Obviously the guy blows but it's a body and once Beebe goes down I guess he will be activated. He'll be a weekly scratch until that point or so I think.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

On the Paul Allen show yesterday they said that rumor has it that Jay Gruden wanted to keep Doctson and cut AP, but Snyder overruled him and they cut Doctson. No idea on how true that rumor is, but given Snyder's long history of stupid GM moves it is plausible.

I think the more telling thing is that he signed an offer as low as he did. That says more about his body of work than anything. As poor as that body of work is, it is still better than Treadwell's so in that respect alone it is an upgrade.

As I said in a different post, this guy in on a 1 year deal. If he stinks we lose nothing.

As far as Brett Jones is concerned, I made the following comment earlier: He looked good against 2s and 3s in Pre-Season play. How many snaps did we see him take against 1s? My guess is the coaching staff saw him take snaps against Linval and the rest of the DL starters and felt that his play just wasn't up to snuff against starting NFL D Linemen. At least not in the scheme the Vikings want to use.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

mansquatch wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 am On the Paul Allen show yesterday they said that rumor has it that Jay Gruden wanted to keep Doctson and cut AP, but Snyder overruled him and they cut Doctson. No idea on how true that rumor is, but given Snyder's long history of stupid GM moves it is plausible.

I think the more telling thing is that he signed an offer as low as he did. That says more about his body of work than anything. As poor as that body of work is, it is still better than Treadwell's so in that respect alone it is an upgrade.

As I said in a different post, this guy in on a 1 year deal. If he stinks we lose nothing.

As far as Brett Jones is concerned, I made the following comment earlier: He looked good against 2s and 3s in Pre-Season play. How many snaps did we see him take against 1s? My guess is the coaching staff saw him take snaps against Linval and the rest of the DL starters and felt that his play just wasn't up to snuff against starting NFL D Linemen. At least not in the scheme the Vikings want to use.
I think the fact that a team was willing to give up a 7th for Isidora, but nothing for Jones speaks volume about how much PFF's grades in the preseason mean to NFL GMs.

Has he Jones been picked up yet btw?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Haven't seen anything.
They have 9 OL: Hill, Dozier, Samia and Oli
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:00 pm

Brett Jones can't be any good. The Giants OL sucked and they dumped him on us. He couldn't break into our lineup and now is no longer in the league. They need Dillion with this new O. Morgan is still banged up. The thing is our OL still needs some help. I read that Elf and Kline are below average. Kline was dumped which tells everything. Hopefully Samia can break into the OL at some point and perform at an average level.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

My mistake, I thought I had read they went with 9 OL in the original cuts and getting rid of Jones made 8. The point still is, I'm still concerned about the depth at a position that has been weak for several years, and from everything I had read, Jones had been performing well up to this point. I just question the wisdom of this move when Elflein and Kline (and Bradbury for that matter as he's a rookie) are still big question marks.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

MikethePurple wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:28 am

My mistake, I thought I had read they went with 9 OL in the original cuts and getting rid of Jones made 8. The point still is, I'm still concerned about the depth at a position that has been weak for several years, and from everything I had read, Jones had been performing well up to this point. I just question the wisdom of this move when Elflein and Kline (and Bradbury for that matter as he's a rookie) are still big question marks.
I agree. I was expecting them to cut someone like Abdullah. Perhaps when Hughes is back they cut a corner and pickup a lineman if needed.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

mansquatch wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 am On the Paul Allen show yesterday they said that rumor has it that Jay Gruden wanted to keep Doctson and cut AP, but Snyder overruled him and they cut Doctson. No idea on how true that rumor is, but given Snyder's long history of stupid GM moves it is plausible.

You have to remember, Doctson already made $1.8 million from the Skins this year.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966