Vikings select Laquon Treadwell

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings select Laquon Treadwell

Post by dead_poet »

Matt Waldman's Boiler room video - Releases and Pass Catching: Laquan Treadwell

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/08/07/r ... treadwell/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings select Laquon Treadwell

Post by Crax »

NFL.com also gave Vikings an A: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -nfc-teams

And mentioned them as some of the biggest winners: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... nsil-falls

They also gave the Doctson pick an A as well
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

When is the last time the Vikings had a bonafide possession receiver? Sidney Rice in 2009? Old Man Jenkins in 2011? Marcus Robinson in 2004-2006?

It should be a breath of fresh air after having speedsters for years. I mean, going back to 2005, this team has emphasized speed at flanker and having a good slot receiver (think Williamson, Bernard Berrian, Percy Harvin, Cordarrelle Patterson, etc.).
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:When is the last time the Vikings had a bonafide possession receiver? Sidney Rice in 2009? Old Man Jenkins in 2011? Marcus Robinson in 2004-2006?

It should be a breath of fresh air after having speedsters for years. I mean, going back to 2005, this team has emphasized speed at flanker and having a good slot receiver (think Williamson, Bernard Berrian, Percy Harvin, Cordarrelle Patterson, etc.).

Agreed.

What I like best is his intensity. I feel like he's the kind of guy that will light a fire in his teammates by his play and fiery attitude. AD will love that, and I'm secretly hoping he comes in and shows Patterson how to be a young, professional, WR too.

Last note: I love that he chose to share his big night with his daughter. That says a lot to me about who he is.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The good part of this pick is that Treadwell is a skilled receiver, whose was very productive in college and has the potential to be a starter for a long time. As HardcoreVikesFan pointed out, he's a bona-fide possession receiver and the Vikes haven't had one for a while.

The bad part is it's a pick necessitated by years of mismanagement of the WR position most notably the failure of the Patterson pick, which was very expensive. Just a month ago, Zimmer was saying "We've got to get better with the guys we've got, and we've got to fix other areas that can allow these receivers to be more effective in the games." We all knew it was probably BS and it was... they were inevitably going to draft a receiver in the first couple rounds of this draft.

As HardcoreVikesFan also pointed out, this pick may mean the end for Patterson, almost certainly that's what it means for him as a WR. I doubt he's going to get a legitimate shot at more offensive playing time. More likely, we'll keep hearing the same tired, "he's working hard" and "it's all up to him" rhetoric we've been hearing when it clearly isn't up to him.

I know I'm beating a dead horse but it's just hard not to imagine what might have been if the Vikings had shown a greater commitment to playing and developing CP over the past two seasons rather than for just 8 games in 2014. It looks to me like he's collateral damage of the coaching change. Maybe that was inevitable but it's a shame to see the cost of trading up to get him, and his potential, amount to so little. Instead, we could be seeing Treadwell as the second part of a big, difficult-to-defend, WR duo of big-bodied speed and possession receivers or we could have seen the Vikes use the 4 picks they traded for Patterson on other players, some of whom might have become reliable starters (or more) and filled needs that remain open.

It's hard to get past the resources, talent and potential squandered. The lack of follow-through after such a big investment is a bitter pill to swallow.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:The good part of this pick is that Treadwell is a skilled receiver, whose was very productive in college and has the potential to be a starter for a long time. As HardcoreVikesFan pointed out, he's a bona-fide possession receiver and the Vikes haven't had one for a while.

The bad part is it's a pick necessitated by years of mismanagement of the WR position most notably the failure of the Patterson pick, which was very expensive. Just a month ago, Zimmer was saying "We've got to get better with the guys we've got, and we've got to fix other areas that can allow these receivers to be more effective in the games." We all knew it was probably BS and it was... they were inevitably going to draft a receiver in the first couple rounds of this draft.

As HardcoreVikesFan also pointed out, this pick may mean the end for Patterson, almost certainly that's what it means for him as a WR. I doubt he's going to get a legitimate shot at more offensive playing time. More likely, we'll keep hearing the same tired, "he's working hard" and "it's all up to him" rhetoric we've been hearing when it clearly isn't up to him.

I know I'm beating a dead horse but it's just hard not to imagine what might have been if the Vikings had shown a greater commitment to playing and developing CP over the past two seasons rather than for just 8 games in 2014. It looks to me like he's collateral damage of the coaching change. Maybe that was inevitable but it's a shame to see the cost of trading up to get him, and his potential, amount to so little. Instead, we could be seeing Treadwell as the second part of a big, difficult-to-defend, WR duo of big-bodied speed and possession receivers or we could have seen the Vikes use the 4 picks they traded for Patterson on other players, some of whom might have become reliable starters (or more) and filled needs that remain open.

It's hard to get past the resources, talent and potential squandered. The lack of follow-through after such a big investment is a bitter pill to swallow.
Not for me. That's the nature of the draft. It's a crapshoot, and Patterson was a high risk, high reward pick to begin with. I don't think his book is finished quite yet anyways. Treadwell might actually help Patterson. You just never know how the chemistry of a position group can change when new ingredients come into the mix. Given the deliberate (slow) approach our coaches take with rookies, I also don't think it's a bygone conclusion that Treadwell comes in and automatically unseats our veterans. If Patterson can prove himself trustworthy, I think he'll have a shot to get some playing time. Maybe it's naive, but I'm still hopeful that we can cash in on his talent.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Last Vikings possession receiver? How can you all forget the legend of Greg Camerillo?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

The draft is pulling me back to the black hole that is VMB!!!!! AAAHHHHHHHH
Mothman wrote:Just a month ago, Zimmer was saying "We've got to get better with the guys we've got, and we've got to fix other areas that can allow these receivers to be more effective in the games." We all knew it was probably BS and it was...
I don't see why you'd assume that is/was BS.

Mothman wrote:they were inevitably going to draft a receiver in the first couple rounds of this draft.
I don't see any reason to conclude that.
Mothman wrote:As HardcoreVikesFan also pointed out, this pick may mean the end for Patterson, almost certainly that's what it means for him as a WR. I doubt he's going to get a legitimate shot at more offensive playing time. More likely, we'll keep hearing the same tired, "he's working hard" and "it's all up to him" rhetoric we've been hearing when it clearly isn't up to him.
"So I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you!" :wink:

honestly, don't see any reason to conclude it isn't/wasn't up to him.

Mothman wrote:It looks to me like he's collateral damage of the coaching change. Maybe that was inevitable but it's a shame to see the cost of trading up to get him, and his potential, amount to so little.
Patterson should have one more chance to prove selecting him wasn't a mistake. Let's see what he does with it. ..... Its all up to him. :gone:
Mothman wrote:It's hard to get past the resources, talent and potential squandered. The lack of follow-through after such a big investment is a bitter pill to swallow.
True, but the problem could have been compounded by throwing good money after bad. For example, they may not have selected Diggs or they may have passed on Treadwell this year as a result. If those two spend the next 5 years as a talented WR duo for Teddy, I for one will be glad they didn't make a commitment to a player who didn't make a big commitment to himself and his team to maximize his potential.

Here's hoping Patterson does it this year. He could be a hell of a weapon. Lots of pressure on Johnson and Thielen to step up too...I have a hard time betting against Thielen at this juncture. The guy works hard in all phases and earns it!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm excited about Treadwell. He grew on me more and more during the offseason. I'm still pretty worried about the Offensive Line though. It was a bummer to see all the potential Left Tackles come off the board early.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:I'm excited about Treadwell. He grew on me more and more during the offseason. I'm still pretty worried about the Offensive Line though. It was a bummer to see all the potential Left Tackles come off the board early.

I wouldn't be disappointed yet. There are still guys out there at tackle who I would love for developmental purposes: Joe Haeg, Willie Beavers, Tyler Johnstone, Kyle Murphy.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:The good part of this pick is that Treadwell is a skilled receiver, whose was very productive in college and has the potential to be a starter for a long time. As HardcoreVikesFan pointed out, he's a bona-fide possession receiver and the Vikes haven't had one for a while.

Patterson has been misused since day one of the 2013 regular season. Just a waste of talent. I hope he goes somewhere and tears it up. One of my biggest annoyances with the Vikings is the fact they simply cannot figure out how to use Cordarrelle.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Great post. By now everyone knows how I feel about the close-minded mishandling of Patterson, so I'll just say I agree with you. BTW, the talent and potential might have been squandered by the current Vikings system but it won't be difficult for Patterson to find another NFL team that will appreciate and utilize his obvious skills.

Regarding possession vs speed WRs, it's apples and oranges. Greatness is greatness, no matter the styles. And if a team can get a great duo, then it's all the better (Cris Carter and Randy Moss, for example). Given the impressive speed Diggs, Johnson, Wright, and Patterson all have, it's great to see a big possession WR join the team ranks. That's why I like the Treadwell pick so much. Good job, Vikings.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

good summary of several analysts....generally very positive reviews

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/4/28/ ... l-reaction
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@MattWaldman @leahy_M82 For what it's worth, Norv Turner just said on MN local radio they plan to move Diggs around a lot more this year