Vikings @ Bengals Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 16

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings @ Bengals Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 16

Post by yezzir »

Andrew Krammer @Andrew_Krammer

On 9 third-down attempts, Cassel went 0-for-8, INT for TD and sack-fumble.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

oof. That was rough. I think Frazier could have saved his job with two solid showings in the final weeks, but I fear today's performance ended it for him, not that I necessarily believe that's the right call. Today's game was arguably the first total stinker the vikings have played since mid October. Every team has them, though I thought the vikings would give the bengals a better game than that.

The summary of today's game was pretty simple. The vikings offensive and defense lines were totally dominated in just about every facet of the game by bigger, stronger and better players. Dalton wasn't really touched for the first 3 quarters. Simply no pressure. Our secondary simply cannot compete physically with above average receivers like AJ Green, etc. Period. This would have happened last week too, but the vikings were able to get pressure on Foles.

Unfortunately, Cassel looked like the backup QB many on here say he is. I still like him and hope to see him start next year, but today was a big step back for him. However, the line was worked all day, much like it was in the first half of the year. Probably lucky the vikings didn't have more turnovers. Patterson was the only bright spot. He's unreal on kickoff returns.

I don't know if this was just a matter of one very good team beating a below average team because of numerous mismatches or if the vikings didn't come to play. It was certainly a tale of two weeks. There are too many guys on the defensive side of the ball who can't hang in this league. That should be the biggest focus of this offseason, but unfortunately all attention will be on the HC and QB
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

wow the zebras are really screwing the steelers against the pack on that blocked FG
Purple Pride till the end.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PotGoblin wrote:wow the zebras are really screwing the steelers against the pack on that blocked FG
Yeah. Crazy deal.
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

and that pick 6 kids is what we call Karma - suck it fudgers :rock:
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

This is great. Hopefully the Steelers can finish the game.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Packer player had hold of WR jersey on 3rd and 4 for Steelers. No call. 3 and out. Packer ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

PotGoblin wrote:wow the zebras are really screwing the steelers against the pack on that blocked FG
Zebras have been helping out the pukers for decades
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

Steelers should have taken 2 knees to run out the clock and then kicked the FG.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Do I root for the Bears tonight so the Pack can't make it?

Yeah, I think I might have to.
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

go bears?

just for tonight :thumbsup:
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PotGoblin wrote:go bears?

just for tonight :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm OK with that. Go Bears (for tonight only).
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Mothman wrote: I checked into this thread specifically to see if anyone was suggesting that Freeman get the start next week. It's not an unreasonable thought. I just wondered if it had come up yet. :)

It will be interesting to see if they think he's worth another start or if they want to see more of Cassel.
Lions lost to Giants in OT. Neither coach is likely to return. Why not start Josh Freeman. Matt Cassel may opt out, even if he is the best choice, not saying he is. That's tremendous uncertainty. Why not take a look at Josh Freeman? Probably wishful thinking that he might work out. I am just worried the most about the scenario that it's Christian Ponder versus a raw rookie in 2014. Will Spielman move forward with none of his 2013 QBs? I think it likely Freeman and Cassel move out by their choice, opening up the return of Ponder as a somewhat logical decision, for reason of depth at reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

CalVike wrote:
Lions lost to Giants in OT. Neither coach is likely to return. Why not start Josh Freeman. Matt Cassel may opt out, even if he is the best choice, not saying he is. That's tremendous uncertainty. Why not take a look at Josh Freeman? Probably wishful thinking that he might work out. I am just worried the most about the scenario that it's Christian Ponder versus a raw rookie in 2014. Will Spielman move forward with none of his 2013 QBs? I think it likely Freeman and Cassel move out by their choice, opening up the return of Ponder as a somewhat logical decision, for reason of depth at reasonable cost.

But what would that do? Let's say they start Freeman and he sucks again. Okay, we already knew that, he won't be back anyway. Let's say they start him and he plays well, what does that really do? It's 1 game and totally pointless not to mention dangerous. Ponder had one good game to close out the season and look how our GM dedicated the entire starting spot to him with out any competition or questions.

We just saw Cassel have a great game and a pretty poor game so a one game sample size is next to worthless imo.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: I think we all know what Cassel is at this point. Freeman may be correctable. I doubt he's here next year anyway but the game is meaningless and you payed him $2m so why not?
because finding out if Cassel will rebound and play well two out of three (actually it will be 3.75 out of 4.75 if he does, but who's counting?) is more important than finding out of Freeman can play well 1 out of 2, and winning our last game is important.