Off-season Prediction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:24 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:43 pm

Considering JJ loves Kirk and this regime will be coaching for their jobs next year I highly doubt they'll roll with a rookie.
Imagine the team says: "We can set a new market at WR for your contract or pay Kirk what he wants but not both."

Does his love for Kirk make him take a lower wage? I doubt it. Instead he'll talk up that rookie like he's a brother and Kirk Who?

Anyway, I don't know any job is on the line next season. KOC is a young coach who has already had some success. They're not giving up on him in 3 seasons unless he completely melts down.
I can totally see him taking a bit less under the condition that the Vikings bring back Kirk. I can't see him wanting to have the next two years of his career wasted with a rookie QB. No way. Say he takes 28Million a year for the next 2 instead of possibly getting 33. That's not worth ruining his career over. Back load the last 3 years at 33.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:44 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:41 pm

No I think Hunter signs with the Jags. The Vikings could clear up space and play around to bring him back if they want to though. With the cap if there is a will there is always a way.

It probably is 4 years. However, teams let coaches go before the final year of their deal all the time. Coaches hardly ever come back as a lame duck. So either he gets them back in the playoffs or he's probably fired. He certainly won't be extended coming off two down years or even mediocre years. Injury excuses only go so far. Considering it's a make or break year it's highly unlikely they roll with an injury prone Penix and have all the eggs in that basket or any rookie for that matter.
I think they opt for Hunter over Kirk if they can (are able to draft a QB).

The issue with your argument is he isn't a lame duck. He's currently the coach with the highest winning percentage in Vikings history.

If he implodes next season (1-5 wins) he's probably gone. If he goes .500 with a rookie QB he's not going anywhere.
There's no question the Vikings can draft a QB, but odds are that QB will suck for at least 2 years. They would totally have to beat the odds to get one who doesn't.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:09 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:57 pm

His record is 20-15 after 2 years. That's nothing to write home about. He had a lot of talent in year one on offense and all were healthy yet he still couldn't beat the Giants at home. If he has another losing year or even around .500 and finishes behind Detroit and Green Bay which looks likely at this point I think he will be out. Management hopefully wants to see the team get better under KOC not worse and another down year would be hard to sell.

As far as drafting a QB in round 1 they won't know if the guy they love will be there before Kirk signs in FA. They'll have to either trade up months early or gamble on being able to get their guy in draft day with Kirk likely in Denver or Las Vegas. If they have the cajones to move up in March to a spot where they are assured a top QB that's a different scenario.
I guess we just see it differently. To give up on the 3rd youngest NFL coach with a great record thus far (you might not think it's anything to write home about but I think you're wrong).

It's all about spin. I see a coach that took a 8-9 team that missed the playoffs two years in a row to 13-4 and won the NFC north in his first year.

You're not wrong about the timeline. They might sign Kirk out of necessity.
Yeah in all honesty I wasn't that impressed with him in year one. His defensive coordinator hire was atrocious. They had a lot of balls bounce their way and improbable catches and scenarios. I think they should have hired Harbaugh. I think KOC is a cheerleader who rode McVay's coattails.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:16 pm

I guess we just see it differently. To give up on the 3rd youngest NFL coach with a great record thus far (you might not think it's anything to write home about but I think you're wrong).

It's all about spin. I see a coach that took a 8-9 team that missed the playoffs two years in a row to 13-4 and won the NFC north in his first year.

Yeah in all honesty I wasn't that impressed with him in year one. His defensive coordinator hire was atrocious. They had a lot of balls bounce their way and improbable catches and scenarios. I think they should have hired Harbaugh. I think KOC is a cheerleader who rode McVay's coattails.
I wanted Harbaugh and it looks like he's about to win a Title with Michigan.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Whether or not you're impressed with it is kind of irrelevant to the issue though. At the end regardless of whatever you think about the team they went 13-4 his first year. In his second year the record regressed but he also had incredibly bad luck with injuries. Unless he implodes this isn't a make or break year. If they don't draft a QB now (even if they sign Cousins) it really will be too late.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:02 pm Almost to soon for an off-season prediction.
Does Flores stick around? Or does he leave for another job?
Think it depends on how much free reign he gets assembling his defense this upcoming year.

KOC needs to get better at calling plays or have someone do it.
We probably could have won a couple games with better play calling.

Not going to be able to pay everyone, so they need to figure out their priorities.

Offense needs a running back in the draft.

Kicking game? What do we do with that?

Lots we can do to improve.
I don't see us needing an RB at all. Chandler has proven himself sufficient IMO.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:45 pm

Whether or not you're impressed with it is kind of irrelevant to the issue though. At the end regardless of whatever you think about the team they went 13-4 his first year. In his second year the record regressed but he also had incredibly bad luck with injuries. Unless he implodes this isn't a make or break year. If they don't draft a QB now (even if they sign Cousins) it really will be too late.
Signing Kirk for two more years and drafting a QB that they believe in is the right way to do this. Hopefully KAM can get it right drafting a QB.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:45 pm

I look at more than record. We played a weak schedule and barely squeaked out most wins. We played Miami with Bridgewater. The Saints with Dalton. Got obliterated by the Cowboys. Had one of the all time lucky wins over Buffalo. Then lost to a very average Giants team with Daniel Jones at home. They lost to every good team they played with the exception of Buffalo and I already mentioned the miracles that took.

Yeah sure they had injuries but whose fault is it that they haven't drafted a developmental QB with a legit shot to take over for Kirk already? They've had two years and the best they could find to back him up is Hall and Mullens. They had to panic trade for Dobbs. Knowing Kirk's contract is expiring. That's bad roster building and a lack of planning.
mael·strom

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Kirk signs with ATL, wife is from there, for 3 years and $130m. Vikings get a compensatory 2nd Rd pick.
Hunter leaves for a 4 year $100m deal. Vikings get 3rd round compensatory pick.
Flores stays... Gets a significant raise and all FA $, except 1 OG, is spent on defense this off-season. He also gets his say on drafting defense after we take a QB in round 1.

Option A)
Vikings trade up from 11 to draft QB Jayden Daniels.....
JJ signs a 6 year $200m extension.
Vikings give Josh Dobbs a 2 year $20m deal.
In FA, Vikings

Option B)
Vikings draft QB Michael Penix or JJ McCarthy....
JJ signs a 6 year $200m extension.
Vikings give Carson Wentz a 2 year $25m deal.
In FA.
Last edited by IIsweet on Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:22 pm

I wanted Harbaugh and it looks like he's about to win a Title with Michigan.
We could have had him but he rubbed a minority owner the wrong way apparently. He was probably too assertive with too much "toxic masculinity". So we hired two yes men and drafted the great Lewis Cine who has 1 tackle in his 2 year career. Meanwhile he's in the National Championship and will likely go turn the Chargers or Raiders around like he did San Francisco.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:50 pm
halfgiz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:02 pm Almost to soon for an off-season prediction.
Does Flores stick around? Or does he leave for another job?
Think it depends on how much free reign he gets assembling his defense this upcoming year.

KOC needs to get better at calling plays or have someone do it.
We probably could have won a couple games with better play calling.

Not going to be able to pay everyone, so they need to figure out their priorities.

Offense needs a running back in the draft.

Kicking game? What do we do with that?

Lots we can do to improve.
I don't see us needing an RB at all. Chandler has proven himself sufficient IMO.
Madison kept getting the start because KOC said Chandler was a terrible at blocking.
Was it just an excuse?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:22 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:50 pm

Madison kept getting the start because KOC said Chandler was a terrible at blocking.
Was it just an excuse?
I'm not sure.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Chandler's pass protection is not good. I've noticed it watching. He's good for a whiff a game that causes a pressure or sack. PFF grades seem to confirm this. Most of the RBs who have low pass blocking grades are really strong runners and/or receivers.

Some context
Sorted by overall pass blocking grade:

Sorted by overall offensive grade:
Last edited by makila on Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

1. Let Kirk walk

2. Sign JJ to a big deal

3. Re-sign Hunter

4. Trade our first and a second for Justin Fields
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Angels Wings wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:57 pm 1. Let Kirk walk

2. Sign JJ to a big deal

3. Re-sign Hunter

4. Trade our first and a second for Justin Fields
:shock:
mael·strom